Devil Site Strategy

F. Prefect

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Most users of cigarbid.com may have already discovered this, but if not, I found it interesting. Since the few high dollar sticks I buy are used as humidor decor, most of my everyday cigars are in the 1.25-3.00 range, or used to be until I discovered the DS.

Most cigars in the 1.00 to 3.00 range are auctioned in both 5-packs and boxes of 20 or 25. But what I found to be very interesting is that the bid increment on both is 2.00. So what you say? On a cigar where the winning bid on a 5 pack is typically between 5.00 and 9.00, the percent of raising your bid from 5.00 to 7.00 for example is pretty darn high (as in 40%!) plenty high enough to give the bidder cause to stop and think for a bit before paying an additional 40% to say the least.

But on a box of 20 increasing from 30.00 to 32.00 is only 6.67%. A bidder competing for this box is much more likely to bid the additional 2.00 bucks without much thought if he thought the value was there.

So what all does this mean? Play the 5 packs. Bid early and set your max. bid at a price in the lower range that what typically are the winning bids for the item, and never increase your price if you get outbid. There will be plenty more tomorrow. Last week I bought 4 - 5 packs of Vega Telangas for 3.00 bucks per 5 pack because no one at that particular time was willing to up the bid by 67% to 5.00. No, they're not Partagas, but a darn good all day smoke that sells on CI's website for as much as 60.00 for a box of 20.

Lastly, bid on a lot of items as you will likely be outbid on well over half, but patience is a virtue, or so they say. However one word of warning when bidding on many items. A day will come, sooner or later, when you will win all or most of your items.:hn But it only happens about every couple of weeks and just think of all the money you have saved (assuming you have a place to put them):confused: Give it a try, trust me, it works.:tu:ss

I would add that this is best used in only the quickies, or on rare occasions on the last day of bidding in the 5 pack category. If your bid sits around for 2 or 3 days, chances are very good it will get zapped.

F. Prefect

Last edited:
Very sound strategy, and very similar to one I've developed over my time bidding on the Devil's Site. Looks like now I'll have to work even harder to win the cigars I want!

but I've noticed that CB doesn't use Proxy bidding, like ebay. So, if you set a max of $30, with the minimum being a $2 increment from say...$12...then you'll be paying YOUR max regardless! I do not like that.

but I've noticed that CB doesn't use Proxy bidding, like ebay. So, if you set a max of $30, with the minimum being a $2 increment from say...$12...then you'll be paying YOUR max regardless! I do not like that.

That's weird.. because I know for a fact that CBid does use proxy bidding (they call it AutoBid). I can set my max to $90 on a box, and watch it slowly creep up to that max as the bids come in.

You sure you're not setting your actual bid at $30 instead of the max bid?

That's weird.. because I know for a fact that CBid does use proxy bidding. I can set my max to $90 on a box, and watch it slowly creep up to that max as the bids come in.

You sure you're not setting your actual bid at $30 instead of the max bid?

really...I dunno what happened, because I sure as heck ended up paying my max one time when everyone else paid like nearly 1/2.

Very sound strategy, and very similar to one I've developed over my time bidding on the Devil's Site. Looks like now I'll have to work even harder to win the cigars I want!

I doubt you'll be getting much competition from me for a good while. As I said in my original post it can, on rare occasions, produce a few more winning bids than were, shall I say, anticipated.:ss

F. Prefect

really...I dunno what happened, because I sure as heck ended up paying my max one time when everyone else paid like nearly 1/2.

I've done that before when I've seen something I wanted to bid and set the bid amount as the max bid instead of the current amount needed to win and seeing the max bid amount to my max (fortunately I managed to catch it and re-edit the bid since it didn't affect the rest of the winning lots).

I doubt you'll be getting much competition from me for a good while. As I said in my original post it can, on rare occasions, produce a few more winning bids than were, shall I say, anticipated.

F. Prefect

LOL! :D

I could be wrong, but if I had a max. bid set at 30.00, and I, for example am the current high bidder at 10.00 when another bidder bids 12.00, the system would then automatically enter a bid of 14.00 on my behave. This would continue until the bidding reaches 32.00 and at that point I am out unless I raise my bid which I rarely do. If the bidding stops at 18.00, I would win the item for 18.00. Clear as mud, I think.:2

F. Prefect

One thing I would add to your strategy is "know what you could buy the item for elsewhere." It sounds simple, but it seems there are people who don't follow this advice.

I was bidding this week on the Fuente 2007 Xtremely Rare Holiday Sampler. I think the lot just closed an hour ago. Last I checked the high bid was around $210. I also missed out on another lot (same item) which is already at $130 with several days to go and yet a third lot (same item) this time on Cigar Auctioneer which was at $140 earlier today with a few hours to go. So, I ordered the same sampler from TNT for $140. No bidding needed.

One thing I would add to your strategy is "know what you could buy the item for elsewhere." It sounds simple, but it seems there are people who don't follow this advice.

I was bidding this week on the Fuente 2007 Xtremely Rare Holiday Sampler. I think the lot just closed an hour ago. Last I checked the high bid was around $210. I also missed out on another lot (same item) which is already at $130 with several days to go and yet a third lot (same item) this time on Cigar Auctioneer which was at $140 earlier today with a few hours to go. So, I ordered the same sampler from TNT for $140. No bidding needed.

Did you check www.arnoldstobacco.com - I believe they have them for $100 (assuming we are talking about the same sampler). Not sure if they are still in stock, but you might want to check.

Otherwise, I would send tampasweetheart an email, they might still have some as well. You need to spend $25 off of their website, but that is still cheaper than $140.

tampasweetheart.com

Did you check www.arnoldstobacco.com - I believe they have them for $100 (assuming we are talking about the same sampler). Not sure if they are still in stock, but you might want to check.

Otherwise, I would send tampasweetheart an email, they might still have some as well. You need to spend $25 off of their website, but that is still cheaper than $140.

tampasweetheart.com
Wow! $100 is CHEAP. I bet that guy who just paid $210 would feel pretty bad if he saw that. $140 is not too bad and was the best I could find. Next time I'll ask before I buy. :tu

Gotta love that devil site! Since Dec 7th, I've won 5 of my last 10 lots (5er's). I tend to look at the CI web site for what a 5er is going for there. Then, I deduct 33 to 35% off the 5er price, depending on my feel, and that will be my max bid. If I win, great! If I lose, oh well. There will be a next time. I lost a 5er bid today on the 'Natural by Drew Estate Root (5x55)'. The winning bids were in the $21 to $23 range, and that beat my bid of $19. Just didn't feel like going up to $23. Oh well, we'll get around to burning a 'Root' one of these days. Aaaaah, got one more lot up for bid on Dec 12th. Glad this week is gonna be over soon.....:cb

Back