Diana Silvius Corona

txmatt

Still Smitty's biotch!
Back in April of 2005 Hollywood did a dual strike bombing run on Da Klugs and I:
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10361.

One of the cigars in that strike was a Diana Silvius Corona that had beautiful yellow cello.. I hadn't heard of the brand at that time, but Googled it and found out that Diana Silvius Git is the owner of Up Down Cigars in Chicago. This cigar is made for her by the Fuentes; (like Ashton is made for Holt's)..

Last humidor re-org I found the cigar buried at the bottom of a mixed box. The cello had turned even darker yellow with the additional 18 months aging. The cigar made its way to the top of the humi to be smoked soon.

Yesterday afternoon I had first reached for a Don Lino Africa Corona but then spotted the yellow cello and grabbed the Diana. I used my Palio to give the 42 RG cigar a Dickman cut to get a bit more surface area, since I generally smoke larger ring cigars. The cigar light very quickly with my XTend lighter.

I expected the cigar to be extremely mild but it actually wasn't an airball. When new the cigar is supposed to be middle of the road medium like Davidoff 1000 Series or Ashton regular series. I found it a bit milder than those two but I am sure its extreme age had something to do with that. The flavor had a very noticable sweetness to it, but it was not an overly sweet, saccharin-like sweetness; it was just the right amount. Diana's cigar also seemed quite "toasty" in flavor. The two flavors in the cigar combined to an almost campfire roasted marshmallow quality. The smoothness of the cigar was unbelievable; I wouldn't be suprised if this cigar turned out to be 10 years old, yet it lacked any musty notes that very old cigars sometimes pick up.

Burn was exceptional and the smoke was very thick and chewy. I would have liked more smoke volume than the cigar provided, but can't fault the cigar too much for that since it was only 42 ring. I smoked all but the last inch of the 6.5 inch cigar. I may have nubbed it but had enjoyed the smoke soo much I didn't want to risk it and extinguished it on a high note.

I generally don't care for milder cigars, especially the Dominican ones but this cigar was exceptional. Its $7 price is less expensive than the Davidoff and Ashton cigars that I would say are its competition. This cigar was wonderfully smooth yet flavorful enough to keep my attention. I may order some newer ones to see how they compare to this aged one.

Dave, do you have any idea how old the cigar was? I want to thank you for sharing such a wonderful cigar with me..

-Matt-

Great review Matt! I also have one of these from Dave. Been wondering about it as it always catches my eye with that yellow cello. :dr

Matt, ditto... HW gifted me two of these in the NST, all those many moons ago. I had the same experience. It hit me right away that it was "Fuente-ish", but not knowing it at the time, I wasn't sure.

Looking forward to hearing back from HW about the age...

Hey guys. Really glad to hear you actually smoked that stick Matt!! I think I passed out several of those; and you are the first to say they lit it up!

The review is spot on with what I found. I also found a lot of cedar earthiness in mine. Of course it's probably because they're still in their original box; and it appears to have kind of created a cedar dust inside over the years.

The age. I'm certain that these were produced back in '99 or '00. I had these coronas and some Toro sized sticks from her Signature line as well. I think I'm all out of the coronas now, but have a nearly full box of the Toros.

Glad it was enjoyable. May have to send out some of these others one day soon!?:D

:tpd: Thanks for the info and the fine cigar.. Six or Seven years huh? Have you stored them that long or did you buy them with the age on them already? I love getting ahold of Vintage NCs.. :D

Hey guys. Really glad to hear you actually smoked that stick Matt!! I think I passed out several of those; and you are the first to say they lit it up!
I smoked everything you sent in that bomb save for the Flor Del Todo!!:pu (you must realize I will never stop teasing you about that)

The Silvius just really suprised the heck out of me; I generally don't like the mild-medium Dominicans and I really liked this one.. I am too lazy to review most of the cigars I smoke for the first time, but make a point to when the cigar suprises me or changes my preconceptions.

Last edited:
:tpd: Thanks for the info and the fine cigar.. Six or Seven years huh? Have you stored them that long or did you buy them with the age on them already? I love getting ahold of Vintage NCs.. :D

I smoked everything you sent in that bomb save for the Flor Del Todo!!:pu (you must realize I will never stop teasing you about that)

The Silvius just really suprised the heck out of me; I generally don't like the mild-medium Dominicans and I really liked this one.. I am too lazy to review most of the cigars I smoke for the first time, but make a point to when the cigar suprises me or changes my preconceptions.

I got them from the shop a little while before I had sent you one. They had been in there inventory since the original issue.

If you love vintage NCs; I need to put something together for you!!;) Look for it!!

Glad you thought it was good. It doesn't appear to be much more than a very mild smoke; but I thought it had very good tastes for an old mild/medium smoke. Sometimes you never know!

edit: I'll never hear the end of those!! one word ..... SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Man, I haven't heard that name in years. Is the brand still around? If anyone has seen them, let me know, I'd like to buy a few sticks.

Grinch OUT!!!

Yeah, I still grab a couple of the Dianas when I get to UpDown. Ill be in the area next week, maybe Ill pick up a few extras. The Diana Silvius is a good cigar and has been around for at least 10 years.

There were several rumors flying around regarding the Silvius at its release, as UpDown is only one tobacco store (albeit an awesome one right in the middle of Old Town) in Chicago. Diana had visited the Fuente factory and came back with her own line of stogies.

I am a HUGE fan of vintage NC's also, I am on an acquisition binge of late. Damn I wish they would date-code the NC boxes.

Yeah, I still grab a couple of the Dianas when I get to UpDown. Ill be in the area next week, maybe Ill pick up a few extras. The Diana Silvius is a good cigar and has been around for at least 10 years.

There were several rumors flying around regarding the Silvius at its release, as UpDown is only one tobacco store (albeit an awesome one right in the middle of Old Town) in Chicago. Diana had visited the Fuente factory and came back with her own line of stogies.

I am a HUGE fan of vintage NC's also, I am on an acquisition binge of late. Damn I wish they would date-code the NC boxes.

The UpDown site says they started the brand in 1990. I didn't know the Fuente name was that big back then to cause rumors.. What were the rumors; Carlos giving Diana the Slick Willy treatment?
Rob Levin got the Fuente family to make his house brand cigar (Ashton) just four years prior in 1986, its amazing how much more noticable this store brand became.

-Matt-

Back