Did heartfelt get my order wrong?

RaiderinKS

Lowland Gorilla
I got a bag of 65% and 70% each a little over a week ago. I put a bunch into my large (el rey 150 stick) humi, trying each kind once, and they both regulate at 65 or 66 on my WC3 digi hygrometer. I am not sure what is up, but the beads are also drying out pretty freaking fast too. Maybe the wood is absorbing? Maybe bad seals? Maybe incorrectly labeled beads?

If they're drying out that fast, then something is taking up the water quickly. If the humi has been set up for awhile, i'd suspect the seals.

Well, I just checked the inside of my other box, and the beads in there are almost completely white again after only two days. And moreover, I set a little jar with water inside of that humi! AND STILL, they are white.

Yeah, I did the math. And then, when I noticed everything starting to dry out too fast, I basically doubled all of my bags.

How long has your humi been set up? Did you season it before placing the beads in there?

El rey 150: Seasoned for three days using two shotglasses and 3 times daily cloth wipedown. Setup for about three weeks.

Other humi: operating using pg crystals for about 8 months.

If you just recently added a bunch of smokes it is possible that the smokes are sucking up the moisture.

I would guess seals.

My preferred way to check for a good seal is to use sliced strips of a carbon-less duplicate sheet along the sealing edge (the kind used in printers and so forth, usually while/yellow or white/pink) and simply drop the lid of the humidor closed from about 3-5 inches up (depending really on how sensitive the papers are to impact).

If you see strike marks at all then you don't have a good seal. Ideally it should be so tight that it will cushion the lid at the crucial moment and slow it down to the point where there is no strike mark (or at worst a VERY faint one). If it closes too fast, aka a bad seal, then it will leave a very defined darker strike mark.

Just my way of testing :ss

First off - I would have checked with Heartfelt first instead of here. Second it sounds like you have a humidor problem that's unrelated to Heartfelt. Depending on how dried out the wood is in your humidor and lack of a positive seal determines how long and effective your humidor will seal.

Ron

Still, how do I explain the dry beads in a humi with an open water source?

Perhaps an Oust! fan to circulate the air over the shot glass of water?

I have noticed that beads will more readily give up moisture than they will accept it from the environment.

Mine do not absorb moisture back out of the air fast enough to suit my tastes, so I tend to allow the air to stay a hair to the dry side of perfect. I can always add more moisture, but taking some back is harder.

1) Ignore the white/clear bead rule. My beads are 99% white but hold 65% like the Lord himself made them.
2) My batch seemed off as well (65% held around 67%). They will season/acclimatize to whatever RH% you keep them at. Just keep working at getting the RH% where you want it, and once they're 'set', your work is forever done.
Just have patience; they are ABSOLUTELY worth it.:tu

I wasnt aware the beads themselves took so long to stabilize, especially because the 65% seem to be working already!

Take the beads, cigars and hygro and put them in a plastic container known to seal well and see what you have after a few days. Isn't the KC area kind of humid about now?

I have 65% beads in a 120 cooler and a plastic bin and both hold 66%. We're dry here but I only add water every week or two.

WyoBob

Back