Different ways of lighting

zamco17

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I usually always use a djeep flame lighter because im not a fan of torch only lighting. Well tonight i tried some thing different. I started with my djeep drawing in short puffs then used the torch to "toast" the foot to get what i missed with the flame. I was pretty happy with the result. Does anyone else do this or am i just crazy? Using only a torch I always seem to have burn issues. Just my :2

I use a lighter to light a cedar strip, then light my cigar with that. Don't know if it really makes much difference, but I enjoy doing it. Just my 1/2 c... Larry.:w

Of late, I've found I actually prefer to use primarily a disposable Bic lighter. (Has to be Bic, other brands just suck.) The flame is just so large and consistent I get really good lights. I still use my torch for small corrections, just like you mention.

I use just a regular Bic lighter as well. I usually hold the cigar in one hand rotating it under the fire to get it nice and warm and then hold it up to the foot taking little puffs. I usually give it a blow out the other end too. I don't know if this is bad or not, but I've heard that it is good for clearing out any bad aromas that the lighter may leave behind. Has anyone tried to light a cigar with a car cigarette lighter?

CthulhuDawn said:
Has anyone tried to light a cigar with a car cigarette lighter?

I usually use my zippo lighter. First toast the foot, then take a few puffs. and finally blow a little bit through the cigar to purge it.

I have used a car cigarrette lighter on a few cigars, specially on the ones with a small RG. I is not very practical and I usually have to use it two or three times, first to warm and toast the foot, then to light it.:D

I like wooden matches if I can use them.Sometimes there is to much wind and cant.

I also use a Colibri and Nibo torch lighter when on the golf course and out at herfs or parties.

When I sit at home. I do what eveyone else does. I light my cigars with $100.00 bills !! :r

My different ways of lighting depends on were I am. But my favorite is wooden matches.

I generall use my Zippo with a torch insert. Toast the foot, then slowly get it going from there. However, I've used just about every method listed here at one point or another. Well, I haven't gotten to the point where I'm using $100 bills...

They all work, just depends on what you have available at the time.

I almost exclusively use Bics now...never liked the torches...and while I prefer sulphur-free matches...they're not always practical. On occasion I will commit the gravest of sins (according the the cigar snobs) and use my Zippo like WillyGT... ;)

I carefully toast the foot with my torch lighter until the foot is almost all gray - being mindful not to burn one side too much or char the body of the stick. Then I blow on it slowly to even out the burn on the end. I purge it one good time and wait a couple of minutes for the first draw. This seems to work really well and the burn is usually much more even. I've learned that straight lighting with a torch lighter will get you an uneven burn because it's hard to be consistent when rotating it.

PUFFNMO said:
I use a lighter to light a cedar strip, then light my cigar with that. Don't know if it really makes much difference, but I enjoy doing it. Just my 1/2 c... Larry.:w

I have heard a few BOTLs talking about that recently. I need to try it. I usually use matches. Sometimes they are a pain with wind, but they are still my preferred method. My :2

I've been using my zippo with the insert. I've found a light toast of the wrapper then light and puff the foot has really improved my burn issues. That and the switch to 65% beads...I used to keep my cigars at 70-72% with foam. The beads are much better. Thanks Viper, wherever you are!!!

I use only a torch, I find that it lights much better and I have fewer burn issues than with a regular Bic. Also with a bic or any disposable I always get a nasty acrid taste from lighting with one. Much prefer the torch...
Forgot to add...the jet sound of a torch is really cool also!!

I use a torch mainly. Often... I'll do the whole ignite, rotate, & puff. After a puff or two, I'll check out the foot & torch any uneven sections. This has worked for me pretty well.

Oh yeah... lighting with $100 bills is so 2005. C'mon now... I only light up with Google stock certificates.

Since most of my cigars are smoked outside, a torch is the only way to go. I hold the cigar and light before puffing, trying to keep the flame from touching the foot or charring the wrapper.

PUFFNMO said:

I basically do the same except I use my triple Flame lighter to light long Cedar matches. I think it allows you to control the lighting much better, never any burn problems which I think you get from lighters and torches.

I have a Colibri and a Blazer, but the one I have been using the most lately is my Zippo with the torch insert. There is just something cool about Zippos. :D

I light mine with a bic, but I would use a burner on the stove if I had too, or the exhaust pipe on my lawn mower. Just light it, dammit and then smoke it. If it doesn't burn right, something else is wrong.

Whew, I need that 2nd cup of coffee,

Mike

Cap'n Mike said:
I light mine with a bic, but I would use a burner on the stove if I had too, or the exhaust pipe on my lawn mower. Just light it, dammit and then smoke it. If it doesn't burn right, something else is wrong.

Whew, I need that 2nd cup of coffee,

Mike
:tpd:

I only smoke outside so the torch is a necessity. If I thoroughly toast the foot, I normally don't have to worry about burn issues.

Back