Digital Hygrometer Calibration......no fuss, no muss????

ResIpsa

An Original Latino
This occured to me by accident. Got home tonight and checked the base unit for my Radio Shack hygrometer, then hit the key to check the readings for the 3 remote units. I had previously put the base unit and all three remotes in one humi and got the same (or close the same) reading for all the units, so I knew if they were off they were all off the same amountl.

I wanted to check the weather for tomorrow so I went to weather.com. popped in the old zip code and checked the stats. And in a little box next to the town name I noticed......wind speed......temperature.....HUMIDITY. I thought:dr ..........56%huh? hmmmm.....went and checked the RS base unit.......56%!

Now maybe the science guys will tear me up on this one but maybe this is a viable alternative to going through the trouble of a salt test? If other BOTL's can check their base units against the website maybe the validity of this theory can be verified or debunked.

EDIT:
Just occured to my dumb ass that the humidity inside the house would be different than outside. Moved the base unit outside just to see what it says .....dammit i wish i could delete this thread:r

Last edited:
LOL...yea but you could potentially calibrate it by putting it outside and checking the Web site for your Zip. That's what these units were designed for. Still might be some variance within a zip code, but it would at least give you some sense as to accuracy.

that would be dependent on the fact that weather.com's hygro is accurate.

just thinking out loud

I don't trust any weather forecast, prediction, or anything. I take the same attitude towards weather.com that I do with the Tarot card reading place down the road.

I say this because, my Father has 4 weather "stations" in and around his house, and ever single one of them reads a different temperature, humidity, average rain fall, etc.

I'm not kidding you, if you type in the IP address for my family's cable modem, you'll pull up a no shit weather forecast.

I'm just waiting to hear on the TV "And the temperature at Dudley Kelso's house is... XXX"

Back