Do Dentures Affect the Taste of Cigars?

taltos

Elder Jungle Leader
I saw a question on this topic posted either here in the Pipe Forum or on another board, but as a denture wearer, I thought that I would chime in. Due to an auto accident, and being an over 45 playing full-check hockey, I am now the proud owner of dentures top and bottom. Initially, I will explain what the dentures cover and then how they affect taste. I have done taste tests with identical cigars with the dentures in and out. The easy one is lower dentures: they only cover the lower gums and have no effect on taste. The upper dentures cover most of the upper palate and I have found that the upper palate does contribute to the taste of a cigar almost as much as the tongue does. I have discovered tastes on cigars with my plate removed that I would never taste with that hunk of plastic covering the roof of my mouth. I will give you an example with 2 cigars that most of you have smoked: Sancho Panza Double Maduro Cervantes, and Maria Mancini Magic Mountain. If I had never tried these without removing my upper plate, I never would have smoked them again. There were spices and coffee and chocolate tastes that I would never have noticed. I would have been just as well off as smoking cigarettes or White Owl Grapes just for the sake of having smoke entering my mouth and leaving. I am sure that there are other folks wondering about this and I hope this helps. Paul

My dental hygenist keeps telling me that if I don't floss daily, when I'm retired and in the old folk's home, I'll be gumming my food or eating puree'd steak and apples, while she will be sitting beside me using all her teeth to tear into a steak and have her apples.

Glad to know I'll still be able to enjoy some cigars as long as I remove the uppers. :)

My father had a complete set of uppers and lowers for my entire life -- he was in a couple bad automobile accidents and had so few teeth left that he thought it was better to have them pulled and get complete dentures. Please tell me that you don't embarass your kids by talking and having your dentures pop out of your mouth (he was a preacher, and at least once per sermon they would drop down), or licking the food off them at the dinner table. :p

Please tell me that you don't embarass your kids by talking and having your dentures pop out of your mouth (he was a preacher, and at least once per sermon they would drop down), or licking the food off them at the dinner table. :p

I think I'll be skipping lunch today.. :D

I have a filling in my lower left jaw which is metal, when i smoke it creates a strong metallic/tongueonbattery flavor. It happens much moreso with some smokes than others but i usually notice it with every stick. Very distracting.

I wouldn't know as I am still young (18) but I do know that we have taste buds on our tounge yes- but also the roof of your mouth, your inner cheeks and your lips even. So yes I would imagine they do!

Thanks for the advice- I may need it in 60 years! :w

Ok, I'll swallow my pride and chime in here, I'm in the same boat...
After a severe accedent in the mid 90's at 48 I'm also the lucky owner of a full set of plastic teeth, ... and yes I do prefer to smoke with them out, much more flavor that way ...BUT, I have learned that when you have them in if you push some smoke up under the top plate it actually gives you the full taste effect, just be carful not to blow the plate out into some ones lap! :D

Back