Do you hang on too long?

Mr. Doug

Gorilla
I've got half my humidor filled with stuff I'll never smoke, but can't bring myself to pitch. There are probably 15 sticks in there that have been a little dry at some point, and I'm not entirely sure that they'll ever be 'back to normal'.

Am I strange to hang on to them, or should I just pitch them and be done with it?

Give them out to relatives you don't particularly care for at the next Christmas gathering.

I've got half my humidor filled with stuff I'll never smoke, but can't bring myself to pitch. There are probably 15 sticks in there that have been a little dry at some point, and I'm not entirely sure that they'll ever be 'back to normal'.

Am I strange to hang on to them, or should I just pitch them and be done with it?

I would hang onto them........ even a cigar that's been completely dried out will re-humidify just fine in a proper environment. I say stick with 'em (or smoke 'em):ss

What are they? I'm sure someone may want to take them off your hands.

Seriously, if you will never smoke them, offer them to someone who might, or rid them of your humi. No need to take up usable space.

You could always use them for a yard 'gar. Doing some chores, or mowing, etc, where you might not have the time/attention to devote to one of your favorites.

You could always use them for a yard 'gar. Doing some chores, or mowing, etc, where you might not have the time/attention to devote to one of your favorites.

:tpd: I keep those sticks for yard work and scout weekend camping trips where I know that they won't be kept in the best environment anyway. If you try them and have to toss them, no loss!

I tend to hang on to great sticks, because I hate to see them go up in smoke! Haha. I keep telling myself that it's as simple as buying another one whenever I want, but I just hate to see such a beautiful cigar smoked, and gone forever.

I tend to hang on to great sticks, because I hate to see them go up in smoke! Haha. I keep telling myself that it's as simple as buying another one whenever I want, but I just hate to see such a beautiful cigar smoked, and gone forever.

I'd recommend shellac, my friend! ;)

Yard gars, golf gars and just working gars.

Save them for when you dont want to waste one of the good ones and need a cigar you dont care about.

Have you considered making a mobile with them?
Functional artwork is in these days!

:r While I laugh, I actually took a number of old dried out sticks and put them into an unused (inexpensive) glass-top humidor. They're on the top shelf, so are visable (while matches, credo's, etc. are stored below)...it actually makes a good looking display!

Give'em to a noob to help start them out, and have them juct cover the cost of shipping.
I did that last year, and was amazed at the interest in what I thought were crappy smokes.
:2

At this very moment, I am smoking a total dog rocket that has been buried in my humidor for about 1 year...and it is a decent smoke. I didn't expect much when I bought them, out of the bundle they were bitter and smelled awful. I thought I gave them all away, but I found a few this morning and thought "what the hell" and it's a pretty tasty smoke! Will I buy another bundle and age them? Hell no.

/END RAMBLE\

My point is, if it's only 15 sticks just hold on to them and give them out to moochers, or smoke 1 in a year and you might be surprised. :ss

Send them to the troops. Please don't just chuck them. There are many of our soldiers who would like a nice dried out dusty stick - :D

Checkout the threads with the word "TROOPS" in the title. Do something good for your country - ;)

Give them out to relatives you don't particularly care for at the next Christmas gathering.

:tpd: :r There is a time, place, and situation for every grade of cigar. Or...you could set up a booth at your local hospital's Maternity ward and give them away free with glasses of ice chips :D

Great posts guys...sorry I didn't get a chance to reply earlier.

I ended up taking the advice I got in a PM, and put them in a tupperware container with 2"X2" piece of paper towel soaked in distilled water. I let them sit for about 4 weeks....low an behold...they look pretty good now!

I think I'll keep them around as 'last resort' sticks. Then again, I may send them to some troops too. That's a great idea.

Send them to the troops. Please don't just chuck them. There are many of our soldiers who would like a nice dried out dusty stick - :D

Checkout the threads with the word "TROOPS" in the title. Do something good for your country - ;)

There ya go! :tpd:

I have not been smoking long enough to hang on to long. I do however have like 5 boxes of things I bought as singles and boxed up, I can tell right now those bad boys will be lost in the annuls of time.

Last edited:

:tpd:

Have to admit I have a vested interest in the troops game but I've shipped many a cigar I picked up and just fell out of favor with off to the troops. Good cigars...just not what I wanted anymore.

Back