Do You Know Your States Tobacco Tax Rate?

Yep, Texas charges exactly one cent per stick. Don't know about pipe tobacco or cigarettes, but cigars are only one cent per stick.

cigar no baka said:
Yep, Texas charges exactly one cent per stick. Don't know about pipe tobacco or cigarettes, but cigars are only one cent per stick.

Thank goodness!!!

lmao...not suprised in the least:

Taxachusetts
smokeless tobacco - 90% retail
smoking tobac/cigars - 30% retail

Don't forget the Federal tax per pack as well as local "sin taxes" plus the usual sales taxes.

Cigarettes are over 1/2 taxes. Interesting dilema for the governmental bodies who receive the revenue.

I wish I live in Texas! Ontario has 60% tobacco tax in addition to 15% PST and GST. The cheapest Monte 2 I could find sells for 31 dollars!

Da Klugs said:
Cigarettes are over 1/2 taxes. Interesting dilema for the governmental bodies who receive the revenue.
I love to point out to people that the gov't is probably the biggest profiteer on tobacco products, while seemingly at the same time on a crusade to end smoking altogether.

So what on earth would the gov't do to make up for the $ if everyone quit smoking tomorrow? :confused:

TTgirl said:
I love to point out to people that the gov't is probably the biggest profiteer on tobacco products, while seemingly at the same time on a crusade to end smoking altogether.

So what on earth would the gov't do to make up for the $ if everyone quit smoking tomorrow? :confused:

The government is the biggest profiteer on tobacco and gasoline goods period. Their tax revenues are far and above any corporation (Which still has to pay taxes on its earnings anyway).

ATL

The UK is getting pretty steep on tobacco tax and its all because tobacco has inelastic demand [in economics speak] and the govt can tax it to their hearts content and raise loads of cash!

pepito said:
I wish I live in Texas! Ontario has 60% tobacco tax in addition to 15% PST and GST. The cheapest Monte 2 I could find sells for 31 dollars!

We don't take kindly to government types hereabouts. Did you know in our state constitution, it says that our congress convenes only once every 2 (or is it 4) years? They can call special sessions but don't do so all that often. And better yet, we don't pay those varmints much, I don't know the exact figure but it's not a living wage. More incentive for them to stop messing with us and get back to their real job.

Back