Do you leave your cigars in cellophane or take them out?

Do you keep your cigars in cellophane or take them out?

• Total voters
Most of my cigars don't come with cello. So it is not an issue.

I have 1950s Robert Burns I have in the cello as it has become to beautiful to remove.

I guess the moral of my story is leave them as the manufacture packed them.

I do remove the cello on my everyday smokes do it all at once saves time and also saves me looking for garbages if I am out and about.

PS there is a tonne of info and arguement each way if you look around here.

I take them out. They look better naked!

what doesn't look beter naked? plus my tat's, vsg's, and cc's don't come with cello. so with my o.c.d. i couldn't have them half in and half out. i think it makes a difference with some sticks and others it makes very little.

Leave them like they are. If they come with cellophane, then I can handle them a bit without damage. If they come without cellophane, I hide them so I have to work to touch them.:)

Here's is my favorite bit of information that comes to mind whenever this question arises.

Cellophane was invented in 1908 by Jacques E. Brandenberger, a Swiss textiles engineer. It is a thin, transparent sheet made of processed cellulose.

Cellulose is a polysaccharide. It forms the primary structural component of green plants.

Mostly cellulose fibers from wood, cotton or hemp are used for making "cellophane".

However, the use of the word "cellophane" has been genericized, and is often used informally to refer to a wide variety of plastic film products, even though not made of cellulose.

For me it is a very good thing that most of the cigars that I buy are protected by an essentially plant based wrapping as opposed to some polymer or monomer that could potentially be broken down by the oils of the cigar causing some molecular migration of said plastics into my cigars.

I suspect that the use of the word "cellophane" when it comes to cigars is in the strict sense of the word (plant based in origin) and hopefully not being used in the generic vernacular...On it stays, but I do carefully remove it for photos, then carefully place them back on before I bed them down.

—Richard

PS I just went through a list of threads concerning this subject and added the tag "cello" to them. Hey kids, tags are our new friends!

Last edited:
I always use to take them out, but now I'm doing most of my smoking at the b&m so I've been trying to keep nothing but premos in my desk top so now I leave those one in since they obviously represent a significant investment. Especialy since I'm a college student.

If they come in cellophane I leave them that way, but I take the paper liners out of the boxes when I put them in Vinodor storage.

Back