Do you pick through Close-Out bins?

Munt

Maturing Primate
I went to a local B&M the other day and picked through a closeout bin in the walkin humidor. I bought three cigars, a Helix (542 i think) and a couple of el Producto ( Never heard of these, as I'm stilll really quite a noob) for 4.00 total.

Do you guys pick through these at all or am I the only cheapskate? If so, can you remember any fantastic deals?

Munt.

No, not really. You get a lot of crap in those. I do talk to my B&M frequently to see what they are having trouble moving and if they have plans to clear a shelf for something else. Just like the other day, I landed Maria Guerrero Toros for 1/2 because they aren't moving them. I like the brand so I took some at a big discount. But it has to be something decent, not a "Dog Rocket Clearance Sale".

Munt said:
I went to a local B&M the other day and picked through a closeout bin in the walkin humidor. I bought three cigars, a Helix (542 i think) and a couple of el Producto ( Never heard of these, as I'm stilll really quite a noob) for 4.00 total.

Do you guys pick through these at all or am I the only cheapskate? If so, can you remember any fantastic deals?

Munt.

You might be able to luck into something, but I suspect it will be rather hit and miss (and maybe a bit more miss depending on your own tastes). On the other hand, as you appear to be in the early stages of the hobby, and the costs involved are not great, why not? If you don't like a fifty cent stick, it doesn't hurt much to throw it away after four or five draws. If nothing else, it will let you know what you don't like.

If you are ever in Bethlehem, PA at the Cigars International Retail store it is time well spent. My friends and I have found some really good NC at great prices. :D

Ya, I've been known to do that. The Helix isn't a bad smoke. Like TideRoll said, its not a bad way to get to know what you like. I've actually had some pretty good house brands. Of course you usually get some pretty sh!tty house brands.

Munt said:

Munt.

My favorite B&M has a closeout table. I have got some great cigars there for excellent prices. I won't buy house brands or cigars from factories I am unfamiliar with on that table. But I have gotten some killer deals like Bucanero Treasures for 1/2 off.

-Matt-

Yep! I've got great deals picking to the bottom of the bargain bin. Series X's, Camacho Liberty's, Camacho SLR's, FDO's, Bucanero's, LADC's, etc. My local b&m has a great bargain bin. Buy one, get one free!

:ms NCRM

CLoseouts are always great cigars to give to buddies who want to smoke something, but aren't really cigar smokers.

My B&M doesn't have a closeout bin, but they do carry HdM seconds, and I don't mind picking up a couple of those from time to time for a two or three dollars.

In the baragain bin sometimes there are slightly damaged cigars. Once again, depends on the B&M, the cigar, the amount of damage, and the price.

A good B&M, a good cigar, and a 1/4' split in the foot I will pick up for 1/2 off - maybe?

BillyBarue

I once stumbled onto a handfull of Puros Indios Maxima Reservas in a bargain bin. 2 bucks a piece! They were great, wish they had more. Incidentally, I was in St. Thomas last week and a smokeshop near the port had a bin of no-name Dominicans for $1 each so I grabbed a bunch. Only one was really bad (I should have known, it was called Don Aurelio) Most were decent, but one brand was pretty good and I was wishing I had grabbed them all. For a buck or two what do you have to lose? You might stumble onto a gem. cheers

My B&M has always had great closeouts when I've been there! Mixed 5-packs for $12 filled with Partagas, La Gloria Cubanas, Hoyo de Monterreys, Macanudos, and Punchs. I always load up when I go.

My B&M actually has what amounts to a small walk in off the main humidor that kind of serves as a bargain bin and you can sometimes find some great stuff in there. Bigg name seconds, bundles, that sort of thing. Closeouts typically stay on their normal shelf with a large sign showing the discount, these seem to be the best deals I have found there.

My B&M doesn't have a closeout bin, but on occasion one of the guys who works there and who knows me pretty well will suggest something cheap that he likes and thinks I ought to try. He'll usually give it to me and I'll wind up liking it and buying some.

txmatt said:
............ I won't buy house brands or cigars from factories I am unfamiliar with on that table. But I have gotten some killer deals like Bucanero Treasures for 1/2 off.

-Matt-

You're so "finicky" Matt..........won't buy the cheap stuff, huh?

Seriously, Mo gave me a house brand from Hi-Times-Wine that was killer. It was discovered, however, and was bought up by foreign sources, so they no longer make it. I wouldn't take a flyer on a 25 count bundle but a stick or two can work sometimes. BTW, that "expensive" Cosuega Buena tubo you gave me, I had to stop doing yardwork while I was smoking that...it was pretty tasty, especially for the first half :w THX Bro.

One of the shops I go to has a small table. I have gotten some good deals off that table. But I trust the shop and know the people and stay with the brands that I know. Sometimes there is a deal, sometimes not.

Stacey

This place had a lot of name brand stuff, CAO, Leon J., Playboy stuff, not sure if pricing was good. I just looked for cheap. I'll be back there in a couple of weeks and will be better prepared.

I didn't realize that El Producto was a machine made smoke. Thanks for that info.

Munt

Simplified said:
If you are ever in Bethlehem, PA at the Cigars International Retail store it is time well spent. My friends and I have found some really good NC at great prices. :D

That's close to me so I go there for the RP Vintage 2nds. Picked up the 90's there the other week and won the 92's on auction this week.

Famous is close as well and has bags of sticks for different prices on closeout from time to time. The cool part about Famous is I'm so close I don't need to pay shipping but I do need to pay sales tax.

Back