Do you re-light?

Mystophales

Heavy Metal Jesus
Just wondering how many people will let a cigar go out and re-light it at a later time. I am not talking about within a couple of minutes but rather when you run out of time and it may be a couple of hours or more before you get to finish it. I have done this a couple of times and never with a good result and was wondering if it is just not worth it or am I doing something wrong.

When I have done this I would cut the burnt end off until I get to a part of the cigar that is not all black. It never does turn into a enjoyable experience and I have just started not smoking at all if I am not sure I will have the time to finish.

So is there a way to do this sucessfully?

I have tried a bunch of strategies for this, including purging the cigar before cutting it, not cutting just relighting, a few others. It never works out to be a good experience for me either - my buddy was saying it is because the tar has time to cool down and solidify inside the stick, and then it starts to taste awful. I never ever cut and relight more than ten minutes later. Definitely post if you find something that works!

Tried it once with a Pepin Serie JJ, and I won't likely try it again. If I don't have the time to enjoy one now, I'll just enjoy it more later. Or at least that's my outlook.
Adam

I will only let the smoke sit for 1-2 hours tops. Some cigars I have had to relight after an hour or more , and noticed no change in flavor some I have had to relight while smoking and the flavor changed big time. For me it seems to be a really hit or miss thing.

Main thing I have tried to do, is to make sure I have the time to smoke. I do not smoke to get a buzz, or get my nic fix. I smoke because it is relaxing. Working 60+ hours a week with a young son and a fiancee who sometimes drives me insane. I really enjoy the hour + of sitting thinking and doing nothing. I cannot honestly be bothered to take a puff sit, walk away, come back puff or take a long break from a smoke for long periods of time. I made it known that unless hell breaks out on earth, I am going to sit on the porch and smoke my cigar.

I have, and its a little bit of what both Mark and Frank said. I cut the foot end and back blow the cold smoke out of the cigar. Some cigars, very few, this works ok. Results seem better on longer stick that are relit. Most cigars the result is horrible. This was more of a thing when I was hurting for cigars and cigar money (still am really). What I try to do now, is have a robusto or toro for my everyday / on the way to work smoke, so there isn't too much waste. I'll save the longer sticks for my night time porch cigar and single malt session (CSMS).

I will only let the smoke sit for 1-2 hours tops. Some cigars I have had to relight after an hour or more , and noticed no change in flavor some I have had to relight while smoking and the flavor changed big time. For me it seems to be a really hit or miss thing.

Main thing I have tried to do, is to make sure I have the time to smoke. I do not smoke to get a buzz, or get my nic fix. I smoke because it is relaxing. Working 60+ hours a week with a young son and a fiancee who sometimes drives me insane. I really enjoy the hour + of sitting thinking and doing nothing. I cannot honestly be bothered to take a puff sit, walk away, come back puff or take a long break from a smoke for long periods of time. I made it known that unless hell breaks out on earth, I am going to sit on the porch and smoke my cigar.

I'm with you. I smoke to relax and if I don't have the time to do it, then I don't smoke. I've never re-lit a cigar that went out for more than a minute or two. Once I sit down to smoke, I'm smokin' so don't bother me. I wish I had more time to enjoy them, but that's another story...

I've never had much good come from waiting even just a few minutes, but I must admit, I still have 1/2 of a RP edge from last week--that's too much of a kick to just throw out.

Last week????? Curious to hear tasting notes when you decide to finish that one.

Yeah, haven't picked it back up cause started on pipes. I can already tell it's probably not going to be good based on previous experiences w/relight; Might try it today, but I've had it sitting in a tupperware bowl, so it shouldn't be dried out either.

I usually don't smoke a cigar unless I know I have time to finish it, but if I have to let it go out and leave it for more than 15 minutes or so, I toss it. I've tried to relight one the next day and it was nasty.

No more than 30 minutes here. Tried that with the RP Edge maduro. Lots of ashy taste. Even with ashing/purging before it went out and purging after relight.

I have just tried that a few days ago, I smoked a good stick and had to shut it becuse I got that buzzz, I cut the burning end and I left it in my car for 4 days. I just threw it out before trying it becuse it smell like a old Cigerette butt.

I never relight, I've never had any good luck with relighting. I also try my hardest (as I'm sure all gorillas do) to not let my stick go out. If I find my stick has went out, I just toss it.

If I'm smoking & it goes out in my hand or in the ash tray, then I will relight & keep smoking ...

... but I will not let a stick go out & come back to it later.... never have had a good experience doing this.

I'll always give a cigar a second chance. If it taste good after the relite , I'll finish it. If not...time for another.

I try not to put myself into this situation. If I'm not sure I've got an hour or 2 then I just don't light up. I have done it once (at a poker game, host couldn't have smokers inside) and it was not enjoyable.

Back