Don Pepin Blue Label

NCRadioMan

More cigars Sanchez!
I was gifted several of these by PuffDaddy and promised a review. This Blue Label is a Generosos 6x50 Toro. A Nic Puro that is very well contructed with a triple cap. When I say very well constucted, I mean perfect! On pre-light draw, tasted nuts and wood and a hint of pepper. I could tell this would be a goodun! First third was very nice, kinda opposite of pre-light. Peppery with hints of wood and leather. Second third seemed to smooth out and become a creamy-pepper. Mmmm. The final third smoothed out even more with more wood and pepper and what's this, a floral tone and that straight Nic tobacco taste. Nice! Ended with about 1/2 inch to go and the finish was as pleasant at the first draw. Burned like a champ, no touch-ups.

This is definatly a full-bodied, full-flavored stick that I probably wouldn't want if I was a noob smoker. Approaching the end of the cigar, I could feel the beads of sweat on top of the old melon, an indication to me, that I have had a good cigar. Thanks PuffDdaddy, a real treat!

I am now convinced that Pepin's are vastly under-rated and are definatly the cream of the crop when it comes to NC's. Yes, you can now consider me a Pepin Whore!:dr

:ms NCRM

Last edited:
Being a cheap-arse and a Pepin Whore, the blue labels are one of the best offerings out of El Rey De Los Habanos IMHO; they are 40% - 50% less than the Tatuaje and Cabaiguan he makes for Pete Johnson.

If you like your cigars milder with a long finish be sure to also try the white label series JJ as well.

-Matt-

NCRadioMan said:
I was gifted several of these by PuffDaddy and promised a review. This Blue Label is a Generosos 6x50 Toro. A Nic Puro that is very well contructed with a triple cap. When I say very well constucted, I mean perfect! On pre-light draw, tasted nuts and wood and a hint of pepper. I could tell this would be a goodun! First third was very nice, kinda opposite of pre-light. Peppery with hints of wood and leather. Second third seemed to smooth out and become a creamy-pepper. Mmmm. The final third smoothed out even more with more wood and pepper and what's this, a floral tone and that straight Nic tobacco taste. Nice! Ended with about 1/2 inch to go and the finish was as pleasant at the first draw. Burned like a champ, no touch-ups.

This is definatly a full-bodied, full-flavored stick that I probably wouldn't want if I was a noob smoker. Approaching the end of the cigar, I could feel the beads of sweat on top of the old melon, an indication to me, that I have had a good cigar. Thanks PuffDdaddy, a real treat!

I am now convinced that Pepin's are vastly under-rated and are definatly the cream of the crop when it comes to NC's. Yes, you can now consider me a Pepin Whore!:dr

:ms NCRM

I'm glad you liked it Greg. That was a great review. I wanted to get another opinion on the strength. They will kick you if you aren't prepared for it. Thanks again Matt for pointing these out to me. One of my favs!

Nice review, NCRM.

PuffDaddy gifted me a couple at the E'ville herf, which I didn't get to burn one there, and I will be looking forward to a proper buring of one of them soon. By your review I should be enjoyin' it.

I just ordered a sampler of Don Pepin's Nicaraguan Heirlooms. The description of them is med/full, and TxMatt graciously gave me his read on them (I wonder, are there any Pepin's he hasn't smoked :D ). They are a good price over at CigarKing; well within my budget. I am looking forward to getting them and having one. I am embarking on yet another journey into the wonders of great NC cigars, I have a feeling this is gonna be a good ride:dr

Yippeeee! More Pepin People....Absolutely wonderful cigars....Love them ...All I can find!! Bueno mi Amigo!! Muchas Gracias por favor!:r

Bob said:
Yippeeee! More Pepin People....Absolutely wonderful cigars....Love them ...All I can find!! Bueno mi Amigo!! Muchas Gracias por favor!:r

Denada senor. Con mucho gusto :dr

Full Bodied Bruce said:
Thanks for the review. Looks like Pepin is a family I need to get aquainted with. They are on the shorrt list.

NCR initiated the thread, I just revived it because I only now got interested in them. I feel the same way as you, and figure I'll get acquainted with them too :) ...sigh every day/week/month, this slope gets slipperier, and slipperier:)

txmatt said:
Being a cheap-arse and a Pepin Whore, the blue labels are one of the best offerings out of El Rey De Los Habanos IMHO; they are 40% - 50% less than the Tatuaje and Cabaiguan he makes for Pete Johnson.

If you like your cigars milder with a long finish be sure to also try the white label series JJ as well.

-Matt-
Matt, I need your advice since you are the original Pepin whore (congratulations). I'm wild about the TatJ21 Reserva for size, flavor, dimension and punch. Which BLue Label would you send me to look for first?

Mister MaDuroo said:
Matt, I need your advice since you are the original Pepin whore (congratulations). I'm wild about the TatJ21 Reserva for size, flavor, dimension and punch. Which BLue Label would you send me to look for first?

Unfortunately I can't answer that one! I haven't had the J21 yet myself. In the Pepin Blues I have smoked the Robusto, Torpedo, and big ass "A" size. I know those aren't the names of the sticks, but wife is yelling at me to come upstairs and wanted to get in this reply. Of the 3 sizes I favor the robusto by the slightest margin..

-Matt-

I post this only as reference for the ones who are new to Pepin Garcia's cigars. I realize the FOG's here already know this is old info. But, just to give a little background to the noob's and that includes myself.

Pete Johnson and Tatueaje and Tabacalera Tropical are all interconnected to Pepin Garcia. Pedro Martin I assume is presently with Tabaclera Tropical. I may be wrong about this. But, JJ series is connected to Jose and Jamie. Jose the father and Jamie the son Garcia. The cigars come out of Miami's El Rey de los Habanos factory, located in Little Havana.

You probably know this already but, Tatuaje comes in six sizes: Havana Cazadores, which measures 6 3/8 inches long by 43 ring, Unicos (6 1/8 by 52), Especiales (7 1/2 by 38), Noellas (5 1/8 by 42), Regios (5 1/2 by 50) and Tainos (7 5/8 by 49).

I swear you start smoking these Pepin Garcia cigars and you will think...My god what have I been missing all these years here in the USA?

I guess being a noob here and not all that respectable considering the light of previous posts I have made and some of the blunders I have made posting and getting to know ppl. I still have to say, that Pepin is a Cigar god among men and among some great trocedors a Master blender among us.

I realize JDN and all the other Nic's are great but there is just something about this man's work that just does it for me on a personal level. Hell, even Patel moved to Nicaragua to get more production.

But, forgive my newness as a CS BOTL and downright over the edge antics...but...In all seriousness. I mean it when I say, If you have not tried his cigars you should. They are not one dementional cigars without substance and only kick. But, I tell you this...They will kick you in the pants if you have not been used to a good smooth kick in the ass from the start to finish. Also, expect and I do mean expect his stuff to give you a good pepper, herbal, nutty kick too.

You will find Tabacalera Tropical stuff mentioned in some threads for those interested here and some like them and some don't.
Try them you might find them different in pleasing way.:dr

I just lost a bid over at Cbid for a fiver of Pepin Blues (Robustos). I wasn't going to over bid beyond the MSRP on them no matter how much I want them; hehe I let the other guy do it :cool: I suppose I am getting better at handling my addiction over at the devil's lair :D There will be other opportunities.

I have a few of the delicias and smoked one but, it was too early. I'm waiting a few more weeks to smoke a second. I am sure it will be up to the level written about here.

Back