Don Pepin Garcia Black Label

madurolover

Icehog '08 YES WE CAN!!!
Just finished a DPG Cuban Classic.
This was a robusto size at 5"x50.
Was trying to decide what to smoke and this beauty just sort of jumped out of the box into my hand.
Initial thoughts were - what a nice looking cigar.

Clipped with the Xikar and then toasted the foot.
Upon my first draw I told my girl "this one is going to the nub".
Fairly mellow with a hint of spice during the first third.
The ash held on for the whole first half of this smoke.

Second third the spice started kicking in and I slowed down my puffing just a bit. This was hard to do because the flavor was so nice.
had a little bit of that damp earth taste along with a good bit of spice.

I decided to purge starting the last third and i am glad I did as the spice really came to the front. I told my girl to "grab me a toothpick to finish this sucker".
This is a very nice smoke with hints of things that I could not begin to describe but always with that spice.
I will be buying more of these jewels.

BTW that twang you hear about is definitly there. Although it never comes to the front you can taste it lingering just in the background.
this may be one of the best NC's I have had yet.:D

Nice review! The Black Label is one of the Pepin blends that I have not yet had the pleasure to enjoy. I will definitely have to try one or two out when I can grab one. Thanks for the gently push in the right direction! :ss

CD

Had my first one of these just tonight .... same size, even. What a fantastic NC smoke !!!! I never could get the "twang" to sho through, but that spice was fantastic. This baby rivals VSG in my book, for that sweet, spicy kick. Loads of nicotine as well. Had to touch it up a couple of times near the last 1/3rd, but that was really no hassle. You make me wonder if I should have tried to give it a purge.:confused: hrmmmmmm.... will deffinately pick up more of these.

Great review on a great NC !

Nice review...thanks!

Snowy gave me one of these in a bomb...waiting for a nice warm day to try this baby out...now I really can't wait!

Had my first one of these just tonight .... same size, even. What a fantastic NC smoke !!!! I never could get the "twang" to sho through, but that spice was fantastic. This baby rivals VSG in my book, for that sweet, spicy kick. Loads of nicotine as well. Had to touch it up a couple of times near the last 1/3rd, but that was really no hassle. You make me wonder if I should have tried to give it a purge.:confused: hrmmmmmm.... will deffinately pick up more of these.

Great review on a great NC !

Like i said. The twang never came to the front for me.
It just kinda hung around in the background.
Glad you liked it and I may have found my new fave NC.:D

Great review, Donnie. I had the belicoso and it really is a nice smoke. I picked up the same flavor profile as you did. I had a very hard time not over smoking this cigar. Good job, my man! :ss

Thanks for the timely review. Have been very curious about the Black Labels. Pepin is making great smokes these days. My top tray in the humi is mostly filled with Pepin smokes waiting to be deployed :ss

I have heard alot of talk about these recentley and want to try one but my local b&m does not carry them. I dont want to order a box of them before I know if I like them. I was looking for something different to try today.

Thanks for the timely review. Have been very curious about the Black Labels. Pepin is making great smokes these days. My top tray in the humi is mostly filled with Pepin smokes waiting to be deployed :ss
Agreed!

All of the Pepin stuff I have tried has been wonderful, but I have yet to expereince the Black Label. Another stick to add to my ever-growing list of purchases. (I need to win the lottery!)

I just had a Black Label too, I think it was the Belicoso. Very nice smoke. Pretty straightforward flavor to me. But that doesn't diminish it, it was very good. Lots of spiciness and earthiness.

Great review MaduroL. I have a fiver of these coming today and look forward to them as confirmed by your review. It sounds so much like many of his other brands but, with this one maybe a little different because the spicey peppery tastes usually come within the first inch. :dr

Great review MaduroL. I have a fiver of these coming today and look forward to them as confirmed by your review. It sounds so much like many of his other brands but, with this one maybe a little different because the spicey peppery tastes usually come within the first inch. :dr

That is usually what i find but this one waited just a bit before the lips and tongue started tingling.:r

The Blacks are yummy. IMO the Black blend is a very raw taste:ss . I've got 3 boxes of the Belicoso's. These sticks tend to crack, but I don't give a damn. I don't collect cigars, I smoke them. If I want something cute, I will buy a Daviddoff.

That is usually what i find but this one waited just a bit before the lips and tongue started tingling.:r

I got my Padilla 1932's and Black Labels today. I have put em down to rest for a bit. I always do this to myself. I know I won't let them fuggers rest for too long before I put at least one each to the fire :dr

Back