Dona Flor Selecao Robusto

Ratters

Lowland Gorilla
Cigar: Dona Flor Selecao

Vitola: Robusto 5x52
Wrapper: Brazil
Binder: Brazil
Filler: Brazil

Setting: In the sun room. Nice sunny day, probably in the mid-50s, but pretty windy outside so I'm staying in here. Cut with my fabulous new Palio and lit with my Xikar butane torch. Start time about 12:15.

Pre-light: The cigar is chocolate brown with a very rough and veiny wrapper. Feel was springy, and it felt well filled. Has what appears to me to be a rough tripple cap. It smelled slightly woody with cocoa. Pre-light draw was free and the taste was earthy and clean, with a hint of melon? It did make me excited to get started.

IMG_0003.jpg

First third: Initial taste was a bit harsh but quickly mellowed. Very earthy with a hint of those toll house semi sweet chocolate chips. Ash is not very tight, but seems to be holding on pretty well. Burn line is a tad wavy but hasn't really needed to be touched up yet. Draw is great, though the burn rate seems to be a bit quicker than I'm used to. Ash finally dropped about an inch in, luckily in the Stinky and not on my lap. Smoke volume is great, body in the medium range. The finish is light, flavorful, and lingering.

IMG_0006-2.jpg

Second third: Body continues to be medium, strength seems on the light side, though my sense of that might be off from herf yesterday. Taste is really developing with some chocolatey goodness with a hint of sweetness that reminds me of Christmas. Maybe cinnamon? Resting smoke is light with a very pleasant smell to it. Finish is getting a bit thicker, and still very enjoyable.

IMG_0008-1.jpg

Final third: Body more medium full with copious amounts of smoke. Taste is very rich, developing a woody taste to go along with the cocoa and somewhat of a bitter coffee flavor. It still has some floral sweetness to it as well. Lots of flavors going on with this thing, I must say I'm impressed. Burn rate is still quicker than I'm used to. Even though the cigar was springy, looking at the ash and the rate of burn I'd think this cigar was rolled pretty loosely. Burn has continued a bit wavy but never really required any touchups.

IMG_0010.jpg

Fishing thoughts: Finished at 1:30pm for a total smoke time of and hour and fifteen minutes which is pretty quick for a rubusto for me, most last about an hour and forty five to two hours. That said I found this to be a very enjoyable, flavorful and complex smoke. This was my first one as they are pretty hard to come by. My friend has them at his local B&M which is how I got this one. I'm doing a box split with a couple other friends but they are back ordered. I'm definitely looking forward to them coming in now.

Liked it: Yep
Reccommend it: Yep
Smoke again: Yep

I'm so happy you liked this one. Definitely one of my current favorites for sure.

Great review with fantastic images. Thanks!

Nice Review!!!

Loved the pictures and great descriptions!!!

Glad you liked it! If the order doesn't come in soon enough and your up for a drive to Chico my B&M has bunches.

Thanks for doing a review of this cigar!

And yes, I'm a slow smoker. :ss

:D I forgot to mention I spoke with a Dona Flor rep last week and he mentioned that these are sold out from the factory and they are trying their best to produce more. They didn't anticipate how this one took off.

:D I forgot to mention I spoke with a Dona Flor rep last week and he mentioned that these are sold out from the factory and they are trying their best to produce more. They didn't anticipate how this one took off.

Thanks for the info.

Except now I feel like someone kicked me in the gut. Any kinda ETA on when things will start to filter in?

Ratters and Weak_link,

I made it back to Chico!!!

We have oodles and oodles up here! I guess my B&M rep is psychic.:r

Just rubbing it in that a little town like Chico has 'em.

Next time I know what to bring to the Herf!

Sorry I forgot to mention that the cigar came from you dwhitacre. Certainly a kingly gift. :ss

And I think weak_link will be PMing you shortly. ;)

Nice review, now I need to decide whether to smoke mine. :dr
If they are sold out someone must have them. :ss

Thanks for the review.I keep hearing good things about most of the Dona Flor lines, will have to try and pick some up on my next order...

Very nice review and photos, thanks, I had anticipated your review as you dropped hints in another thread. :tu

I picked up five of these from Fumee World for $5 a piece. Although they are out of the Selecao they still have 9 of the Reserva Especials. Funny thing, the local chain of grocery stores, Holiday Market is supplied by the Bidwell Cigars in Chico (the very one that dwhitacre speaks of) so they had a box of these as well as the Reserva Especials. The Selacaos sold out quick but I bought another handful of the Especials.

BTW Bidwell's takes phone orders and the way the owner explained it to me once, that if you are from out of CA you don't get charged CA tax. Least that's what I heard. Here is the number, 1-877-243-9355.

I also picked up another great Brazilian puro, Alonzo Menendez while at the local market, worth a try.

Here is the link to the store locator for B & Ms that have these Brazillian beauties. http://www.cigarsofbrazil.com/store.asp

Tiptone AKA Brian of Stogie Review gifted me my first taste of the Dona Flor line back in May of 07.

Thanks again Ratters for the words & photos on these sweet dark coco smoke sticks. :)

Richard and I will begin stockpiling the Dona Flors and I know Steve and Eric have enough firepower and ammo. We'll hole-up in a mall (or B&M). We could hold off the Brazilian Seeking Hordes forever.

Back