Don't like the weather? Wait ten minutes, it'll change.

jaymz

preserver of the universe
It's been a crazy week at work, so when I got home early on the first 60+ degree day of the year, I just *had* to sit back and treat myself to a nice stogie.

I wasn't in the mood for anything in particular, so I grabbed a Onyx Reserve. Not sure what happened to this guy - but the draw was TIGHT!

I struggled with it till it was about halfway done and just gave up. Usually i would put some effort into it, but today I wanted to relax - not fight with my cigars. This is the first onyx i've had that i've put out prematurely, but I just wasn't into it.

I haven't tried a DPG Serie JJ before, and I just ordered 10 from joecigar ... So i unwrapped the only one in my humidor.

First picture is of the bomb i received from AWSmith today, and the JJ i'm about to incinerate compliments of Wes888.

This jungle is a wonderfull place full of generous gorillas, and those two are no exceptions.

5ebm36.jpg

stick looks great, the color is perfect. band is nice, almost too flashy for me but not too bad.

prelight smells nice, a little peppery with a good amount of tobacco.

15wcd3p.jpg

I used a punch on this bad boy, probably because i used a double guillotine on the onyx.

prelight draw is perfect, compared to my previous experience today.

construction is about what you'd expect from the reputation the Don has on this board, firm all the way through, no spongy spots or patches.

10ga5b4.jpg

First Third

Lots of spice off the top, after a couple hit mellowed out a little.

started to get a great woodsy taste, maybe a little dry - but had a glass of sparkling water to refresh my palate.

plus i just like saying "palate"

dq4umc.jpg

Second Third

Ash is a good color, greyish white - but doesn't hold together as well as i expected. Not a huge point against it, just had to be a little careful with it.

wood flavor is still strong, little bit of pepper/spice to top it off - feeling a little of the nicotine now :)

so far it's on the strong side of medium, with some good flavor. jaymz likey.

First band came off easily, second smaller band was a little tight and couldn't slip it off.

2vtdtv8.jpg

Third Third

Got a blast of pure pepper around where the smaller band was originally, except for that it was a well rounded smoke.

Then there was a little explosion underneath the wrapper, sounded to me like a seed popping??

2vv02tt.jpg

Final notes

perfect amounts of spice throughout and that great woodsy flavor all the way through.

draw was perfect all the way through, and a good amount of smoke - not overwhelming.

Burn got a little crooked in the first half, but it self corrected - so all good

Definitely looking forward to the bundle coming from joe's!

Appearance = 9.5
Construction = 7
Flavor = 8.5
Value = 8

Nice review and thx for the pics.. yep tight draws can be irratating sometimes... I have four AF king b. and all of them are tight.. well atleast the pre-draw was so I had place them bach un humi. and grab something else at the time... I guess Ill get me a cigar poker.... :tu

Good review! :tu

Sorry to hear about the Onyx. I really like those cigars, especially after they've rested for a few months.

Nice review and thx for the pics.. yep tight draws can be irratating sometimes... I have four AF king b. and all of them are tight.. well atleast the pre-draw was so I had place them bach un humi. and grab something else at the time... I guess Ill get me a cigar poker.... :tu

Good review! :tu

Sorry to hear about the Onyx. I really like those cigars, especially after they've rested for a few months.

Thanks for the compliments :tu
Yeah, nothing drives me up a wall faster than a tight draw. I've had lots of Onxys and this was the first to disappoint me.

Thanks for the review and pics.
I haven't smoked a DPG yet. I have a DPG blue traded from goatfarmer I'm looking forward to lighting up. I almost pulled the trigger on that Joecigar deal too. Soooo close. Aaaaah, must resist, pay taxes.... damn. :hn
BTW, a little burnt beetle never killed anybody. :tu

Back