Dont try this bundle-EVER!!!

redrockeyes

Young Ape
This is my first review so bear with me.
I ordered 3 bundles of the Oba!Oba! brand. These are made by the Perdomo factory as a house blend for bestcigars.com. I ordered the Toro 6x50 natural wrapper.
It is a mixed filled cigar with tobaccos from various Nicaraguan regions.
Upon removing one from the package, I first noticed a strong almost bitter smell. Heavy spice. Wrapper looked ok but a tad vieny. I clipped the cap and toasted the foot. First few draws felt very loose and tasted like wood. Ok at this point I am disappointed but willing to continue. About 1/3 of the way through it starts to get very bitter, still taste woody. No pleasurable flavors at all.Not a lot of smoke and a loose draw. This is the way I remembered my first few cigars way back when and why I haven't smoked any until recently again. The ash burns evenly and holds on well.I cant take the bitter aftertaste in my mouth anymore, I am searching for anything that taste or smells even remotely good,but alas its not there. I give up and let it go out after about 1/3 of the way. After scrubbing my mouth and tounge repeatedly I still have the " I just licked a cows ass" taste in my mouth. This morning taste still there which I am usually ok with but this damn thing tasted like crap ,I just wanted to forget about it.
Needless to say the cigars are on their way back to bestcigars.com already as they have a no hassle return policy on their products. I am so glad I wrote down others suggestions on bundles and will try again. Man I need a La Gloria tonight to right my ship.
Sorry no pics smoked the turd late last night and shipped the rest back early this am. If you have ever scooped dry dog turds then you no doubt know what an Oba!Oba! looks like. If you have for some reason smoked a dog turd you know what they taste like.
Have a great day and enjoy a cigar.
Todd

This is my first review so bear with me.
I ordered 3 bundles of the Oba!Oba! brand. These are made by the Perdomo factory as a house blend for bestcigars.com. I ordered the Toro 6x50 natural wrapper.
It is a mixed filled cigar with tobaccos from various Nicaraguan regions.
Upon removing one from the package, I first noticed a strong almost bitter smell. Heavy spice. Wrapper looked ok but a tad vieny. I clipped the cap and toasted the foot. First few draws felt very loose and tasted like wood. Ok at this point I am disappointed but willing to continue. About 1/3 of the way through it starts to get very bitter, still taste woody. No pleasurable flavors at all.Not a lot of smoke and a loose draw. This is the way I remembered my first few cigars way back when and why I haven't smoked any until recently again. The ash burns evenly and holds on well.I cant take the bitter aftertaste in my mouth anymore, I am searching for anything that taste or smells even remotely good,but alas its not there. I give up and let it go out after about 1/3 of the way. After scrubbing my mouth and tounge repeatedly I still have the " I just licked a cows ass" taste in my mouth. This morning taste still there which I am usually ok with but this damn thing tasted like crap ,I just wanted to forget about it.
Needless to say the cigars are on their way back to bestcigars.com already as they have a no hassle return policy on their products. I am so glad I wrote down others suggestions on bundles and will try again. Man I need a La Gloria tonight to right my ship.
Sorry no pics smoked the turd late last night and shipped the rest back early this am. If you have ever scooped dry dog turds then you no doubt know what an Oba!Oba! looks like. If you have for some reason smoked a dog turd you know what they taste like.
Have a great day and enjoy a cigar.
Todd

Obama?

Heck even Obama would be better than those things. I really got bundles of junk with the Oba!Oba! cigar. It was a tough call to start with as I was not 100% sold on them but hey they were cheap and I thought I would give them a whirl.Kind of like drafting a sleeper in the fantasy draft and hoping he scores big. Just my luck the Oba!Oba! was like drafting Daunte Culpepper this year. Like Daunte says " Would you like fires with that? Please pull ahead to the second drive up window"

Heck even Obama would be better than those things. I really got bundles of junk with the Oba!Oba! cigar. It was a tough call to start with as I was not 100% sold on them but hey they were cheap and I thought I would give them a whirl.Kind of like drafting a sleeper in the fantasy draft and hoping he scores big. Just my luck the Oba!Oba! was like drafting Daunte Culpepper this year. Like Daunte says " Would you like fires with that? Please pull ahead to the second drive up window"

I swear I spent years and years trying different things. I think I've been let down by 85% of the "new" cigar's I've tried, regardless if they were long-filler or sandwhich. Thanks to Don Pepin and Nicaraguan puros, I think I won't be experimenting too much in the near future!

Perhaps they were still "green" amd needed some aging? In my limited experience I rarely find a brand new cigar out of the package tastes very well.

Perhaps they were still "green" amd needed some aging? In my limited experience I rarely find a brand new cigar out of the package tastes very well.

I agree. Everything I have read says not to smoke a cigar right away when you get it in the mail. Even the guys at Cigar.com say to leave them in the humi for at least 2 weeks. Sometimes even two months. Now that being said, they might have tasted like really old dog crap after the two months, who knows?

You say you bought them from BestCigars.com I'm sure they would let you send them back for a refund. I know from experience that the places I purchase will let you do that esp. since you bought a butt load of them. Stick with a small purchase in the future to even see if you like them before taking the plunge. I have done what you have in the past and just let my eyes "buy" the cigar instead of my mouth and have learned the hard way. If they are that good at first trying a 5 pak then by all means by all you want afterwards.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like it so I will be sure not to even look that way no matter what the pricing is.

Was going to age them but my stock is LOW. I was hoping they were ok at least so I could age them and just keep going to the b&m for a bit until they were ready. I enjoy 1-2 cigars on Friday followed by 2-3 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday plus a few during the week. Thats why I went with bundles to stretch my dollar as it were. Plus I like to try new stogs to see whats out there. Somedays I like a strong full bodied one other days more mild. I like to experiment a bit. from now on samplers are my thing and I will take note of what I like and go from there. I am looking into some Famous Nics 3000 on others recommendations.

Man ! Why did you punish yourself in such a cruel way ? Why did you buy 3 bundles of "Oba!Oba!" ? I mean, the name alone should have given you a warning... Darn, man. I mean if you really hate yourself that much and want to self-inflict some wounds on your body or your soul, you could have "needle" your finger and toe tips, don't take a bath for a month, or drink a whole bottle of Tequila until you puke your gut out... But why, why did you buy and smoke "Oba!Oba!" ???

Come here ! Let me give you a hug to make you feel better... :bl

I know the name alone should have sent me running the other way. Again I was hoping for a little sleeper that was good and inexpensive. so frrom now on any cigar that sounds like the uga chuka uga chuka reverb from I'm hooked on a feeling, I'm high on believing that your in love with me.... come on I know you are now singing that song. If it sounds like that I am staying away. Thats why this lowly noob is here, to gain the knowledge from the masters. Use the force.

Don't try this bundle ever?

Ours is a very diverse community,some folks could like these and probably do.Personally I have not had one.

I'm just sayin :rolleyes:

Dave,
Thanks for the input. You are correct. I guess I still had a "bad" taste in my mouth yet. Some may indeed enjoy them, if so please post and let me know what your thoughts on taste were. My palet is not as experienced as some and I would love to hear from anyone who has tries Oba! Oba! and liked or disliked them.
Maybe putting EVER was a bit harsh. If you enjoy a mild to medium bodied cigar with hints of spice and mellow aftertaste paired with great smoke and nice draw I would not recommend Oba! Oba!

Dave,
Thanks for the input. You are correct. I guess I still had a "bad" taste in my mouth yet. Some may indeed enjoy them, if so please post and let me know what your thoughts on taste were. My palet is not as experienced as some and I would love to hear from anyone who has tries Oba! Oba! and liked or disliked them.
Maybe putting EVER was a bit harsh. If you enjoy a mild to medium bodied cigar with hints of spice and mellow aftertaste paired with great smoke and nice draw I would not recommend Oba! Oba!

Just food for thought Todd.

We look out for each other here,you included :)

No harm, Todd.

Dave has offered loads sound advice in the past and does here as well. I think most of us understood what you meant, it's just that there are other members that may enjoy those - so offering a harsh critique is one thing, but to say "Don't try this bunder - EVER" is a little unfair considering the wide range of palattes that may be on the board. Somebody that loves those might take a little offense to the comment but you've explained yourself well. It's all a learning process.

:tu

Back