dor building questions

Beer_Man

Young Chimp
I am working on a new humidor and being a rellative newbie I would like to get a couple of opinions before I finish up.

The inside dimensions are 14" x 10" x 6" (spanish cedar has not been installed yet. What type/size humidifier do I need? Any brand recommendations?

One reason I haven't installed the cedar yet is I am having trouble figuring out what I should do for dividers. How many different sections should I make. What about a tray that makes it two levels?

I would also like some input on a hygro. I am kind of torn here. I really think a nice dial type would look sharp against my wood lid but I have heard they can be innacurate. Do they make a decent looking digital that can be mounted so it is visible from the outside? Or should I put in an analog for looks and use the digital tucked inside? Or just scrap the whole analog thing?

Like I said I'm just looking for suggestions. I'd rather only build this once :D

Beer Man,

I have a humi similar in size.
I personally use a simple green foam cased in plastic humidifier. Its about 3'x2'. Mr. Moisture is the brand name. It works great. No need for a fancy expensive one if you ask me.

Mine also has 2 movable dividers. I personally barely even use them. I think no more than 2 dividers for a humidor this size.

I recently bought a digital hydro and it works fine. I used to use an analog one, and realized it was 5% off once I got the digital.

Hope this helps!!:u

Thanks Smokem' I was afraid that this box would be to big for a passive device.

BTW.. SWMBO walked in to the garage last night while I'm sanding away. What are you building? A Humidor? Holy S***! do you think it is big enough? Just how many gars are you planning on storing? You know dear you have to line it with spanish cedar and then put a humidifier and a hygrometer inside it so there won't really be that much room left.......:D

SHow her a picture of someones Cabinet Humidor.
THen you can say this one is nice but I am really shooting for one of these.....

My wife saw them and said right away, well when are you getting one?

:)

Hb

I have 5 humidors now and each one is bigger that the previous one. I just bought a Vickburg that is about the same size as the one you are building it sound like to me. I just have an Oshkosh Premier humidifier in the bottom it and it works great!

P.S.
The digital hygro is the only way to go. I have NEVER had an anolog one that worked right. It'll cost you around $25-30 but it's money well spent.

Thanks for the info. After some thought I'm planning on going digital. I just wish I could find one that I didn't have to open the lid to check on the temp & humidity. But then again that may not be that big of a deal.

Check out Radio Shack, they have a remote digital, you'll never have to open the lid again. About 35 dollars. Good luck!!:w

Check around, but if I were considering passive humidification (which should work fine for a box of that size) I would take a long look at climaxx beads. I have heard that they are maintenance free and last forever. Run it by the old timers.

My box (22 x 9 x 14) runs on an Oasis with CAO as a back up and keeps a perfect 65rh.

I'm currently working on a humidor for business purposes and have done a lot of research, but I don't know how much help it would be. Mine is 35" X 15" X 15", so a bit more space to humidify.

Back