DPG Blue Label

CigarMonkel

Alpha Silverback
After hearing all the hype about DPG Blue Label's i finally decided to rip into one that was gifted to me. The outside seemed like a very nicely constructed body and was firm and stiff. It was a nicer day out (maybe 45ish) and headed outside. The cut was nice and smooth with little spray and the prelight draw i couldn't pick up a whole lot but the draw was fairly nice. Not to stiff of a draw but not real easy too. I toasted the end of it and began to puff and as soon as i took the first couple puffs i got a peppery flavor that wasn't too strong but was more of a medium punch to it. There seemed to be some undertones too which i couldn't put my finger on... maybe some leather?

Picture011-640BL.jpg

The burn, as usual with most of my cigars started off uneven as you can see. But the ash looks very solid and has a nice white/greyish color to it.

Picture013-640BL.jpg

About 1 1/2 inches into the cigar the pepper was still there and the ash was still holding. The draw still maintained that nice and easy draw to it and provided not a lot of smoke, but enough to be satisfied.

Picture014-640BL.jpg

One thing i didn't like was, when i took the band off some of the wrapper went with it due to some sloppy glue being put on the band. You can see where it overflowed onto the wrapper. Luckily a whole lot didn't come off with the band.

Picture017-640BL.jpg

The burn was pretty even the whole way through, no touch ups at all including no relights so no complaints there. I purged the cigar right about when this picture was taken cause some bitterness was coming into play and the flavor came back. Still not a whole lot of change to the flavor. Still that same peppery with undertones i can't put my finger on. So far this cigar hasn't been all that great (maybe my young pallet is still.... young?)
The ash was nice and would ash about every 1 1/2 inches although the finish seemed to become bitter a couple puffs after every purge.

Overall this cigar did not live up to the hype (impo) and i would much rather have some other cigars in my humi. I have found in the past few cigars that i am a peppery fan but am picky when it comes to pepper, a more mellowed out pepper is what i like maybe with some time this cigar will prove itself to me.

Construction: 8/10
burn: 8/10
taste: 7/10
smoke: 7/10
Appearance: 8/10

Nice review. What are the odds? I haven't had one in a while, and decided to light one up prior to reading your review. I'm smoking an Invicto, which, to me, tastes like crap next to the Generosos.

I've had a couple of the Blue Label Generosos and enjoyed them quite a bit. Great review!

Don't forget to post a link in my thread to have this review included in the contest!!

Last edited:
I bought ten of these from the joecigar deal and have been letting them rest. I cannot wait till it warms up and I pull one of these out to try. Nice review.:tu

I have one that was also gifted to me (I can't remember who, I wasn't smart enough to label it). I think after resting for a few months I'll give it a burn and see how I compare to you. It will be a first DPG for me.

These are good smokes. I am sorry to hear you didn't find them as complex as they can be. My experience has been the opposite though, but that is probably because I let em rest for several months before smoking them; I find it makes a big difference.

Screw you and your sh**ty review of a Don Pepin smoke, Ryan!!! :r Ok, ok, so maybe my little feelings get hurt when I see people who aren't so high on smokes that I tend to love. I will say this, however, the blue label has NOTHING on the Cuban Classic, my friend! Have you given this one a shot yet? Honestly...great review, and I'm just pickin' at ya, you post whore! ;)

Jason

Nice review!

I like the blue label, though I'm not crazy about it like I am the following
Cuban Classic (black label)
JJ series both Nat. and Maduro
Both Cabiguans
Tatuaje brown, red, and white labels

as well as the cigars he rolls for EO brands 601

Screw you and your sh**ty review of a Don Pepin smoke, Ryan!!! :r Ok, ok, so maybe my little feelings get hurt when I see people who aren't so high on smokes that I tend to love. I will say this, however, the blue label has NOTHING on the Cuban Classic, my friend! Have you given this one a shot yet? Honestly...great review, and I'm just pickin' at ya, you post whore! ;)

Jason

i do have a cuban classic sitting in my humi (the black label correct?) I'll make sure to give it a go sometime soon

Very good review on one of my favorite cigars.

This is one cigar that I try to keep in my humidor at all times. There is a flavor in them that I really like - I don't know how to describe it, but it is unique.

Back