Dumb A$$ newb question about aging

Mystophales

Heavy Metal Jesus
Alright this might really sound like a dumb a$$ question but here goes anyway. What makes aged cigars better? I mean I have seen the thread about trying to "speed" age a cigar but what exactly does this accomplish.
Maybe I should put this in a bit of list...

What exactly does aging a cigar do?

Does ANY cigar taste better aged?

Are some cigars meant to be aged after you buy them BEFORE you smoke them?

I have seen ads that say this or that cigar is aged (RP 1990 and 1992). Is this the same thing as you yourself aging them?

Alright I have probably annoyed enough people now...thanks for any answers in advance:tu

I just noticed I put this in the wrong forum. Would a moderator be so kind as to move it to the cigar questions forum....sorry about the inconvenience..:(

Alright this might really sound like a dumb a$$ question but here goes anyway. What makes aged cigars better? I mean I have seen the thread about trying to "speed" age a cigar but what exactly does this accomplish.
Maybe I should put this in a bit of list...

What exactly does aging a cigar do?

Does ANY cigar taste better aged?

Are some cigars meant to be aged after you buy them BEFORE you smoke them?

I have seen ads that say this or that cigar is aged (RP 1990 and 1992). Is this the same thing as you yourself aging them?

Alright I have probably annoyed enough people now...thanks for any answers in advance:tu

I think that one primary answer will give you just about all the info you need with a followup.

Aging a cigar allows for the different tobacco's to meld together and that leads to a much smoother smoking experience. The best way to understand this is to do a taste test...

The basic rule is that just about every cigar will get better with age. Pretty much just like wine.

The thread you looked at about speed aging was one that I started but don't use that thread as a guide. I'm basically experimenting with different ideas that are based on my own ideas and theories and are by no means proven or even effective.

As far as your question about RP Vintage cigars, yes the tobacco is aged but the cigar itself will still benefit from aging because it will allow the binder, filler and wrapper to exchange essential oils and still improve with time.

I don't think anyone is annoyed with your question so by all means keep asking.

I would go into more details but it's late and I'm kinda beat. Hope this helps.

I am going to do my best with my limited experience to answer your question. When a cigar ages the oils and flavors meld together to create a more complex taste. It is also my understanding that nicotine content is also reduced with age. As far as the manufacturers aging of cigars, I take all of these claims with a grain of salt. I also believe that it is usually just the wrapper that is aged. Hopefully some of the more experienced users here can confirm or deny this because like I said, my experience is limited.

First of all the RP blends are not aged that long thats a marketing scheme maybe at one point the tobaccos were from that year but not any more.

Most cigars are aged for some time before leaving the factory. Aging helps the tobaccos to blend together (think about a stew or other recipe that tastes better the next day) It can help mellow out a stronger cigar or take the edge off.
Not all cigars can be aged for the better. If you age a crappy cigar you'll have a aged crappy cigar
The best way to see a difference is to buy a bunch of the same cigar and smoke one within a couple of weeks, and save the rest smoke one every 6 months or so you should be able to taste a difference if you can keep any of them around for 2-3 years you'll have a cigar that is really starting to "age" and not just "rest"

First of all the RP blends are not aged that long thats a marketing scheme maybe at one point the tobaccos were from that year but not any more.

I think they say "Aged 10 Years" and "Aged 12 Years" on them, the year in the name is just indicative of the original crop years from the first ones.

Most cigars are aged for some time before leaving the factory. Aging helps the tobaccos to blend together (think about a stew or other recipe that tastes better the next day) It can help mellow out a stronger cigar or take the edge off.
Not all cigars can be aged for the better. If you age a crappy cigar you'll have a aged crappy cigar
The best way to see a difference is to buy a bunch of the same cigar and smoke one within a couple of weeks, and save the rest smoke one every 6 months or so you should be able to taste a difference if you can keep any of them around for 2-3 years you'll have a cigar that is really starting to "age" and not just "rest"

:tpd: (he ain't so stupid)-as to whether or not RP's vint line is true to it's claim, Lew Rothman (JR cigars) has written some interesting articles in the back of Cigar magazine-makes some good points & really made me ? all the "vintage, pre embargo found in a warehouse, aged for 10 yrs" stuff-i've heard arguments for & against the claim & finally decided if i like it i'll smoke it even if the guy's lying

BTW, not a dumb ? at all

Well think about this some of the worst growing seasons (for wine anyway) were 1990 and 1992. Rocky "found" these wrappers at Villazon... One of the wrappers is Ecuadorian Sumatra (Some of the Cheapest Cost wise for cigars) used on Punch, uhhhh if the wrapper wasn't good on a punch why would it be good on a $5-$10 cigar. Same goes for the 1992 vintage except it ain't Ecuadorian Sumatra.

Rocky was a lawyer, and he really knows how to screw people:
1. Price Skimming on Olde World, but who cares now because the things are infested with beatles. We are getting constant comments from customers.
2. Raising prices right before the trade show without telling the Reps or the Retailers absolutely NOTHING yet they put about 5 messages in each box they shipped that they were moving their US HQ.
3. I opened a box of 6x60 it was like someone took a cigar out. Its customary for companys to cheat on the ring guage but this was redicuolus.
4. 2 Blends I'm not going to say were taken from his customers, and used for his products.

End Rocky Rant.

Well think about this some of the worst growing seasons (for wine anyway) were 1990 and 1992. Rocky "found" these wrappers at Villazon... One of the wrappers is Ecuadorian Sumatra (Some of the Cheapest Cost wise for cigars) used on Punch, uhhhh if the wrapper wasn't good on a punch why would it be good on a $5-$10 cigar. Same goes for the 1992 vintage except it ain't Ecuadorian Sumatra.

Rocky was a lawyer, and he really knows how to screw people:
1. Price Skimming on Olde World, but who cares now because the things are infested with beatles. We are getting constant comments from customers.
2. Raising prices right before the trade show without telling the Reps or the Retailers absolutely NOTHING yet they put about 5 messages in each box they shipped that they were moving their US HQ.
3. I opened a box of 6x60 it was like someone took a cigar out. Its customary for companys to cheat on the ring guage but this was redicuolus.
4. 2 Blends I'm not going to say were taken from his customers, and used for his products.

End Rocky Rant.

This is the second time you've posted unsubstantiated claims about beetles and unethical behavior from Rocky Patel. Seems pretty irresponsible to post blanket statements. And you seem pretty knowledgable outside of a few shredding RP posts.

This is the second time you've posted unsubstantiated claims about beetles and unethical behavior from Rocky Patel. Seems pretty irresponsible to post blanket statements. And you seem pretty knowledgable outside of a few shredding RP posts.

:tpd: Actually it's about the 5th or 6th time I can remember, right now. These personal attacks on Rocky Patel are getting old.

Here's my :2...

You'll find many non-cubans that have had binder, filler & wrapper tobacco's aged for certain period(s) of time. They will still improve with a little bit of time in the humi for everything to sort of "mello" together.

Cubans on the other hand, from what I understand, have not been aged considerably. That is why they must have time to rest. In my opinion.

Bottom line: Experiment! This is the part that I have been finding really enjoyable about cigar smoking. If you find a cigar you like, buy a 5 pk or box and smoke a couple right away. Then try them after 6 months and then a year.

Here's my :2...

Bottom line: Experiment! This is the part that I have been finding really enjoyable about cigar smoking. If you find a cigar you like, buy a 5 pk or box and smoke a couple right away. Then try them after 6 months and then a year.

EXCELLENT SUGGESTION! This is precisely how I approached the "aging" question -- through EXPERIMENTATION. Smoke one or two "greenies," take some notes, tuck the rest away until it's time to take another "sampling." It's worked very well!!

I can't pretend to know "why" resting a cigar in a properly-humidified humi or cooler for 6-12 months works... But it works!!!

Why I have first hand knowledge of what he has done. Yes his cigars are great but his business practices leave little to be desired

Jeez, next thing ya know he'll be saying the vintage seconds taste different than the banded vintages!!!!

Speaking of cheating on ring gauges, How did Rapidtransit get a negative 33?

I'm not trying to be a Jack A** but would you please tell of your "first Hand knowledge" as to back up what you are saying?

Agreed. Prove it.

Let's remember the one weapon every single salesman masters first. Marketing.

Vintage this, pre-embargo that, rolled on virgin thighs (wha?). My point here is not one vendor is twisting YOUR arm to buy their smokes. My belief is simple. If it tastes good to ME, that's all I need. I could care less if I find out later that it wasn't truely a puro with a "36-year wrapper gingerly cared for by only the finest masters of the leaf, then spiced and masterfully blended with a touch of 500-year old brandy, topped off with a dash of pre-embargo filler from the last bale known to exist"....blah, blah, blah. Talk about shoving 60RG worth of :BS into a Petite Corona...

To be quite honest, I will take the word from many a Silverback on this forum before believing one word written on the box/label of my next new purchase.

- Garilla

Aging will make most cigars smoother and should make them more flavorful. My problem is keeping them around long enough to age substantially. I generally buy what taste good to me and I have a tendancy to smoke what I buy.

As for the Rocky Patel matter, his business practices has very little to do with the original question. I'm a consumer and an end user and why I buy RPs and enjoy them, I don't buy enough for his business practices to have a big affect on my purchasing practices.

Back