Dyeing maduros

kalvinchris

ChestBeater
After reading the Victor Sinclair thread I wanted to branch off and talk about the process of dyeing maduros because I am curious.

Is this a common practice? Is this just something done with cheaper cigars? I really have no knowledge of the process but it sounds unappealing.

I remember listening to Cigar.com radio and they were talking about a guy who was so mad that his maduro stick was dyed (didn't mention the brand) that he tore it up and used it to write a letter to the manufacturer.

And I've heard of people's lips turning black from dye. And I tried to smoke Victor Sinclair 55 maduros on multiple occasions and the things wouldn't stay lit if it meant saving my life (I'm pretty sure these were dyed).

Give me the low down, knowledgeable BOTLs and SOTLs :)

here is a quote from the JR page for anyone interested:

"The other alternative method is dying the leaves the desired dark brown color. This is done in a variety of ways - from sluices, vats, to even a machine that is snidely referred to as the "Madu-O-Matic" by those in the trade. This machine can "create" Maduro wrappers at a blazing pace and, typically, makers will add sugar to the molasses-like dye to sweeten the flavor of the leaf. This process is considered "cheating" by many in the industry, and is held in low regard by many traditional tobacco men. As a consumer, it is easy to detect whether your Maduro cigar is a faux, because most dyed Maduro cigars will actually leave a slight brown stain right on lip of the smoker."

I had some LGC serie R #5s that I swore were dyed , blacker than the ace of spades . Couldn't get any dye to come off so I guess they just looked horrible and tasted horrible .

Back