Ebay humi?...Should I?

I bought my first humi off ebay and I am still using it. it hold good and I have no complaints. I bought it from a gentleman that was a manager at a B&M and the humi was his personal humi. My question is has anyone had experiance with the humis that are cheaper on ebay?...I know tampa humi's are on ebay but there are even cheaper ones....I look at the local shop...but they have the prices pretty steep due to being the only shop with in 60 miles!...Please check out the auction I have below and give me suggestions...Thanks for your help on my purchace!

http://cgi.ebay.com/150-ct-RED-WOOD...0QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11675QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:z

i am pretty sure some other ppl on here have that hummi.....i say as long as there is a warrenty and you dont mind dealing with that if it has a problem then buy away

My two cents?
Stay away from this.
This vendor and another one on Ebay sell fake humidors.
By fake I mean the material is not true Spanish Kiln Cedar and the workmanship is poor.
May look very nice to the untrained eye but someone that knows wood and humidors will laugh.
Note this vendor sells them cheap but jacks up the shipping cost cnsidering they are relatively small humidors (IMHO).

Stick with Tamapa Humidors or CheapHumidors.com.
I personally never had a problem with their products.

I bought my first humi off ebay and I am still using it. it hold good and I have no complaints. I bought it from a gentleman that was a manager at a B&M and the humi was his personal humi. My question is has anyone had experience with the humis that are cheaper on ebay?...I know tampa humi's are on ebay but there are even cheaper ones....I look at the local shop...but they have the prices pretty steep due to being the only shop with in 60 miles!...Please check out the auction I have below and give me suggestions...Thanks for your help on my purchase!

http://cgi.ebay.com/150-ct-RED-WOOD...0QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11675QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:z

I have bought one of my humis off of Ebay a while back and have had no complaints about it. I find that Ebay does carry some risk, but almost always it is worth it. The best thing you can do is check out the seller and make sure that they are on the up and up.:2

ATL

I have bought one of my humis off of Ebay a while back and have had no complaints about it. I find that Ebay does carry some risk, but almost always it is worth it. The best thing you can do is check out the seller and make sure that they are on the up and up.:2

ATL

Andrew,
See my previous post.

Did you buy it from this vendor or another Ebay vendor?
Others have this same humi much more expensive for a reason, it is real.
This vendor is another issue.

My two cents?
Stay away from this.
This vendor and another one on Ebay sell fake humidors.
By fake I mean the material is not true Spanish Kiln Cedar and the workmanship is poor.
May look very nice to the untrained eye but someone that knows wood and humidors will laugh.
Note this vendor sells them cheap but jacks up the shipping cost cnsidering they are relatively small humidors (IMHO).

Stick with Tamapa Humidors or CheapHumidors.com.
I personally never had a problem with their products.

I'm with Carlos on this. Bought one of my first humi off ebay (from these guys, I think). Had to use Gorilla glue and ratchet straps to seal the seams after it started falling apart, shortly after purchase.

"ACRYLIC GLASS"

Also known as plastic...

Pass on this one. And if you buy on ebay, read very carefully. And particularly pay attention to what isn't said.

There are lots of things I'd buy on ebay. But humis aren't one of them unless they are vintage. Nearly all the models you see on ebay are going to be available through other retailers who will stand behind their product.

Try cheaphumidors.com.

I have heard only bad things about those cheap humis on ebay. I have bought a couple of really nice humis at cigarbid.com

I owned that exact one for a little while and it is now at the howard county landfill :D It was absolutely awful. The first problem with it was that it had a strange maple smell in it. No biggie, just cover it up in Spanish Cedar. But once the inside ambient humidity dropped due to the furnace in the winter, it would not hold humity properly because there was no seal around the glass. So I caulked the glass :D Of course then I couldn't get rid of the smell and the temporary humidor (tupperdor) that I stored them in held a lot better and was cheaper. So if you want to save money on a humi, buy a cooler or tupperwear container and save yourself the hassle!

"Lined with Kiln Dried Cedar Divider"

I would pass. If you have to add spanish cedar, glue it, seal it etc., you're really not saving much over a deal you can get at a reputable online retailer. Check out the thread for the $19.95 special at Holt's.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60984

:tpd:

That one looks alot like this one

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Mercha...roduct_Code=HUM-DIS5&Category_Code=MDHUMIDORS

I have the one in that link and it works awesome, but wont hold as much as the 20 dollar one selling at holts.

The one you're looking at is a "fake" in the sense that it's not Spanish Cedar and plastic instead of glass. On top of that, it will cost you $58 ($25 for the humi and $33 for shipping and insurance). For $58, you can actually get a real and good quality 75-100 count from cheaphumidors.com. I just don't see any reason to waste $58 on a fake when you can spend that money on the real thing, or even spend a little more and get something bigger. If you're serious about cigars don't f*** around with these bs humis from ebay.

I would pass on it as well, just go look in the retailers thread. Holts has some very minor "scratch and dent" Savoy (name brand) humidors for only 19.99! And they wont rake you over the coals on shipping - its only 7.00! :2 :2

just read his feedback comments that should make up your mind...one says humi fell apart ...sounds like throwing money away to me...

The only thing I would would worry about is how many cigars you can put in there... 150 ct? That looks a bit small to me, but hey, if you think you want it, then by all means, buy it!!!!!

I purchased a desktop humi from Ebay and it was built well, but with no spanish cedar. Actually, no cedar at all. It would seem to me that this shouldn't make a difference, considering my coolidor is plastic and a number of cigar boxes are cardboard, but this damn thing doens't want to consistantly hold the proper humidity. So now, it has pretty much been a waste of $80.00.

That's my two cents.

I bought my humidor off of ebay. This was some helpful information I got from one web sight it helped me decide I hope it’ll help you:

Avoid using the sort by Lowest Price First option. This will give you two results, none of which are particularly useful. First, it will simply show you the newest listings that have not received any bids yet. Second, it will display the listings by sellers who use inflated shipping to trick buyers. Since the cost of shipping is not included in the search terms, the listings with very high shipping and low bids will always be high on the list. I advise keeping it simple and sort your search results by Items Ending Soonest.

More about shipping cost

One of the first indications that a seller may be one to avoid is how they show their shipping fee. As mentioned above, the cost of shipping is not part of any search terms. So those who do not state their shipping cost up front are most often hiding something. As you scan the search results you will notice items with the shipping fee displayed prominently, and others that say "See Description" or "Not Specified". More often than not when the shipping fee is hidden you will find a listing that is in violation of eBay's Fee Avoidance policy. For example; an item that sells for $9.99 and $30.00 to $40.00 in shipping. This allows the seller to take profit on the sly by padding it into the shipping fee. Since eBay does not charge selling fees on the cost of shipping, sellers who take their profit this way are cheating you, as well as eBay.

Trust me; nobody makes a $9.99 120 ct humidor, not even the fake ones can be made that cheaply. And the cost to ship a humidor that weighs 8 to 10 pounds by UPS (as most of us do) ranges from about $8.00 to $16.00. It is reasonable to expect a few bucks extra added for handling, but $30.00 to $40.00 is absolutely outrageous. Also note that insurance is free if the item cost is below $100.00. So that extra $3.00 - $5.00 insurance fee is complete scam.

You deserve at least a little quality...right?

Do you buy your cigars at the local Dollar Store? How about the smoke shop at your local grocery store? Didn't think so. So why would you even think about buying your humidor form the eBay equivalent? Look for some expertise when you shop for a humidor. Any moron can ask a manufacturer to make some boxes that look like humidors, but not everyone understands the details that make a box a humidor.

The first line of this guide says a good humidor is as important to the cigar as the cigar is to the smoker. That is so true. Don’t buy a Humidor where they also sell toilet seats, poker chips, or watch winders that don't work. Buy one from a place that sells only humidors and cigar accessories. Would just a few bucks more be worth it for a quality humidor? Of course it would.

Check Product specifics

There really are no apple to apple comparisons when dealing with knock-offs. I found a common knock-off item called 120 ct Unique Cigar Humidor. This is the one with the glass top and front.

120 ct Unique Cigar Humidor - Sold by Gadget Best Buy and Easy Source.

• Miniature 1/2 scale reproduction 11.25" x 7.75" x 7"

• Printed imitation wood grain laminate exterior. Like wood tone shelf paper.

• Thin plastic top and front instead of real tempered glass.

• They used to claim their interiors were Spanish cedar, but have apparently taken some heat over the fib and have dropped the claim altogether. Do not assume Spanish cedar if the seller does not mention it. Their interior wood is most likely maple. The visible mineral streaks, light color and grain pattern seem to indicate maple.

Why do we fret so much over Spanish cedar?

Spanish cedar has a few properties that make it the ideal wood for use inside a humidor. It retains moisture deep in its cells to maintain equilibrium, allowing the remaining moisture to roam the humidor looking for cigars. Most other wood tends to wick moisture, which is in direct conflict with the nature of a cigar humidor. The humidor itself should not compete with your cigars for the moisture inside.

Spanish cedar is also resistant to rot and mold. Not impervious, but much more resistant than other woods used in the cheap production of knock-off humidors. Woods that have no natural resistance to mold and rot will decay when exposed to moisture and impart a bitter flavor to your cigars. Those knock-off peddlers are just setting their customers up for a big fall when they market their boxes as humidors.

Spanish cedar is also desired for the aroma that it imparts. It has a sweet aroma that compliments the tobacco aging process. After a while the aroma tends to diminish but can be refreshed by a very light sanding. Other woods just smell like a lumberyard and add nothing to the aging process. In fact some woods may actually be detrimental to your cigars.

FYI - Did you know that Spanish cedar is not actually cedar? It is only cedar by name. It was probably named cedar due to the sweet odor it releases when cut, just like common cedar does. Actually, it is a member of the Mahogany family. This makes sense when you realize that all, or at least most, antique humidors still around today were made from solid Mahogany. Mahogany has many of the same qualities that we get from Spanish cedar. Never use Western Red Cedar, or Aromatic Cedar in place of Spanish Cedar.

Read all the fine print

Statements like "100% satisfaction guaranteed" mean nothing when the terms of the sale include statements such as "all sales final" or "refunds will not be given if the box has been opened" or "20% restocking fee". I don't know how these policies foster 100% satisfaction, but it sounds pretty dishonest, doesn't it? These are actual excerpts from other seller's auctions.
Look for a brand name and warranty. This not only gives you peace of mind, but it also provides a trail back to the original manufacturer or responsible party. Knock-off peddlers will make statements like "Authorized Dealer", but never give even a clue as to the origin of the piece. The people who make these poorly made knock-offs will sell to anybody, so being an "authorized dealer" in this case is just smoke and mirrors.

A good alternative to Knock-off humidors

I realize that there are folks who just want to snag a cheap box that will work for the short term, or that is not intended for show. Whatever the reason, it might have the inappropriate effect of making the knock-offs look like a bargain. Considering that the non-Spanish cedar wood used in these cheap boxes may actually ruin your cigars instead of age them, you would be well advised to just keep your money and opt to use the commonly accepted alternative... Make a 'Tupperdore'. Boost a Tupperware container from the wife and toss in a small round humidifier and hygrometer. Tupperware seals well and it works great when all you need is a quick storage solution. And it is safer, by far, than throwing your money away on a box that someone has the nerve to call a humidor. You can even toss in pieces of Spanish cedar from your old boxes to sweeten the interior for loose sticks.
There is no shame whatsoever in using a 'Tupperdor', lots of aficionados use them. Do this for a while instead of encouraging those knock-off peddlers, and save your money until you are ready to buy a proper humidor from an expert.

Back