either I suck at salt testing....

[OT] Loki

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Or my digital is actually at 61% after 12 hours :hn looks like this one is going back. anyone know a decent one to get at walmart?

Did you modify the case to gain additional airflow? Mine was all over the place with the salt test before I did this and afterwards it hit 74-75% within a few hours and stayed there rock solid for a day and a half. Here is a link to check for more info http://www.stogiereview.com/?p=127 (its about 1/3 way down the page)

Did you modify the case to gain additional airflow? Mine was all over the place with the salt test before I did this and afterwards it hit 74-75% within a few hours and stayed there rock solid for a day and a half. Here is a link to check for more info http://www.stogiereview.com/?p=127 (its about 1/3 way down the page)

no I didn't do anything other than sticking it in the bag with the salt. Also mine has a prob to get outside readings if that matters.

no I didn't do anything other than sticking it in the bag with the salt. Also mine has a prob to get outside readings if that matters.

That may change things a bit.....I got mine at wally world and its the exact model that is shown in that link. Might try one of those....otherwise I just dont know???

12 hours isn't enough for a digital hygro, in my experience anyway. Give it another 12 before taking it back.

It'll be a few weeks till I can take it back...damn not having a car here with me. I went out for a half hour and it went up a % while I was out so who knows whats going to happen

That may change things a bit.....I got mine at wally world and its the exact model that is shown in that link. Might try one of those....otherwise I just dont know???

if this one doesn't work out I'll get that one....in fact that was the one I was going to get in the first place

It'll be a few weeks till I can take it back...damn not having a car here with me. I went out for a half hour and it went up a % while I was out so who knows whats going to happen

Mind if I ask what kind of hygrometer it is? I know for a fact every Cuban Crafter's digital hygrometer I've had didn't give an accurate reading above ~72%, yet they read perfectly accurate in the 65%-68% RH. If you have a salt tested analog, try putting them side by side in your humidor for a day or so, and see how they read side-by-side.

The Walmart Hygros are hit or miss. I have the same one that the Stogie review guys used and its off by 15%. Although, I bought a wireless Therm/hygro from walmart and it's dead on. Just a FYI...I did both the salt test and the calibration kit and came back with the exact results.

Mind if I ask what kind of hygrometer it is? I know for a fact every Cuban Crafter's digital hygrometer I've had didn't give an accurate reading above ~72%, yet they read perfectly accurate in the 65%-68% RH. If you have a salt tested analog, try putting them side by side in your humidor for a day or so, and see how they read side-by-side.

not at all, I got a acurite 00891 digital. it's at 62% now....it was reading 55 in my humidor last night with my 65% beads

not at all, I got a acurite 00891 digital. it's at 62% now....it was reading 55 in my humidor last night with my 65% beads

Weird. I wouldn't worry about it though, when I use my 65% beads in a regular humidor my hygrometers always read low like that. I have yet to find a hygrometer that reads correctly in my 120ct desktop, yet they all read perfectly in my cooler with the Oasis in there... Maybe digitals really need airflow to give an accurate reading?

Loki I would leave it in for at least 24 hours.
Several times it has taken at least 36 hours for mine to get an accurate reading.

I haven't had much success with Walmart hygros. Bought a few, salt tested them, and even used a calibration kit... and took them all back. On the other hand, people have had success with them.

Although drilling holes in the hygro. may be a solution, personally, I wouldn't chance it. If it doesn't help, you may be stuck with a hygro. that still doesn't work and even Walmart won't take back.

I would agree to give the salt test more time, at least 24 hours or more.

I personally have several Western Calibers that are only a few degrees off accurate and I've been very happy with them. You can also pickup a nice adjustable for about $23 at

Heartfelt
or
Cigarmony

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have found that the Wallmart hygros initially are way off so I do a quick 6 hour salt test and if it's way off I take it out and let it just run for about a week and for some reason when I check them using the salt test a few days later they end up being almost spot on.

I've got two in my coolador that are +/- 2 points on the rh yet when I first got them they were way off.

I think they just need time for the circutry to settle down and give decent readings, I really like the wallyworld ones cause they are inexpensive and pretty darn good. I find myself buying more and more of them and I don't really need this many. Go figure.

I have found that the Wallmart hygros initially are way off so I do a quick 6 hour salt test and if it's way off I take it out and let it just run for about a week and for some reason when I check them using the salt test a few days later they end up being almost spot on.

I've got two in my coolador that are +/- 2 points on the rh yet when I first got them they were way off.

I think they just need time for the circutry to settle down and give decent readings, I really like the wallyworld ones cause they are inexpensive and pretty darn good. I find myself buying more and more of them and I don't really need this many. Go figure.

One more thing, drilling holes in the casing does seem to be effective but only one of mine is drilled. Just FYI.

Back