Emergency Emergency Help Help!!!

Justso

ChestBeater
I have returned from out of town and opened my humi and 50% of my smokes are cracked!!!! Splitting at the ends.. I have a Cigar Oasis humidifier and it will not come on, for some reason I guess it sees the RH as acceptable.. My hygrometer is reading 66% as usual, but the cigars are splitting at the ends...I have tried to refill the Oasis twice, and it still has water in it..What's the deal? What do I do? Do I reseason the humi and start fresh??

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I can fix the cracks at the ends of your stogies, send them to me and I'll smoke them down as fast as possible to prevent further cracks. Actually it sounds like your humidity went way up and then down. Had this happen once hasn't happened since. :-(

split ends, i would think, are more likely caused by over humidification (leading to swelling) as opposed to underhumidification.

if anything you might want to check to make sure that your oasis isn't spitting out too much moisture.

have you tried new batteries in your hygro, or recalibrating it?

I would say overhumdification....also could be caused by excessively high temps (which can cause fluctuations in relative humidity).

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-02 AT 00:25 AM (CDT)]I agree with the being too wet and swelling. Now to find out why.

Don't toss your smokes, I can send you a little bit of wrapper and either tell you how to make a "glue" or send you some as well. LMK if you want to try and fix them.

OnePyroTec

I agree with the overhumidification...Maybe I should leave the box open for a day or so and let it dry out a little..funny thing is that for all the overhumidification, I don't have a mold problem. (Yet)

Should I leave the box open for a day or so to let it air out and maybe dry up some??

-Justin

Split ends???

You should have used Clairol Balsam with natural aloe vera. I hear the Florida cheerleaders swear by it.
;)

This happened to me a couple of years back costing me a good chunk of money in lost sales. My hygrometer was reading 68 steady, it had new batteries, and the works. I went out on the road for three weeks to return to a reading of 65%. I picked out a cigar and it felt hard. It was also harsh when I smoked it which indicates long term dryness disorder. So, I purchased three more digital hygrometers, and checked them against some cigar shops readings. When I took them home they read 49%. So, I cranked up the humidity and tried to revive them but that is when they cracked. I think what happens is that when cigars dry they shrink a bit, and when you re-humidify they expand causing the cracking. Some leaf will dive you more room to navigate like broadleaf, but Indonesian and Java etc seem to be fragile. Overhumidification will also produce cracking at the ends from the swelling. Heat is also a facot that likes to eat up your smokes. Like a credit card on the dash board in AZ, a cigar in the cello in a high humidity/heat situation like your car will put an end to any use of your smoke. Good luck.

Back