England to pass smoking ban

I really can't believe that the people there are supporting a total ban. They have a higher percentage of smokers than we do.

Opening the debate, Miss Hewitt said that an extended ban could help 600,000 people to give up smoking.

How idiotic is that argument?

Well, you see, the problem with this ban is this:
the ban will affect ALL PUBLIC HOUSES where people like you and I go. It wouldn't affect places such as Labour or Conservative clubs... so they get to smoke in their private club house bars, but the average joe who doesn't give all his hard earned money to the government doesn't. Fuckers. Sorry for the language, but my, this legislation sucks.

Lumpold said:
the ban will affect ALL PUBLIC HOUSES where people like you and I go. It wouldn't affect places such as Labour or Conservative clubs... so they get to smoke in their private club house bars, but the average joe who doesn't give all his hard earned money to the government doesn't. Fuckers. Sorry for the language, but my, this legislation sucks.

My question is this: Does the majority of voters really support a total ban? I refuse to believe this is true.

I'm not entirely sure if the majority of voters support this bill... I would have thought most people wouldn't, but this is England, and much like the rest of the world, people are swayed by propaganda... we already have some of the highest tobacco taxes in the world, which were also supposed to help half a million people quit, but it didn't work.
the telegraph said:
Miss Hewitt said there were no plans to stop people smoking in their homes, although the ban would give the Government power to require certain vehicles to be smoke-free.
With the exception of the smoking carriages on trains all public transport in the UK is 'smoke free' so I don't understand this... unless they ban smoking cars, in which case all I'm gonna do is sit in my car and smoke cigars.

Lumpold said:

Lumpold - can you expand on private club house bars? what is that? because, as stated in that article all "private clubs" would be part of the ban. stepping into lewis black mode for a moment...

i want you to appreciate this; private club. PRIVATE CLUB! shouldn't this engender NO outside interference?! it's goddam PRIVATE!!!!

and i love this; hospitals are not part of the ban. what in god's holy name is going on here? and what about the complete turn-around by Patricia Hewitt (the Health secretary) - can any of our UK brothers expand on this?

oceana has always been at war with eastasia...

So it's okay to smoke in a hospital but not a pub??

"Only private homes, care homes, hospitals, prisons and hotel bedrooms will be exempt."

That is messed up!

thebiglebowski said:
Lumpold - can you expand on private club house bars? what is that? because, as stated in that article all "private clubs" would be part of the ban. stepping into lewis black mode for a moment...
Well, I dunno who the hell Lewis Black is, but this is my understanding...
Private clubs, such as 'gentlemens clubs' will be unable to allow smoking on the premises.
Now, I'm sure most people here from the US could be divided into Republicans and Democrats... same as in the UK... however, if you are a paid up member of whichever political party, they have Conservative Clubs for the Conservative members, and Labour clubs for the Labour members. As far as I'm aware, these types of club WILL NOT be affected... although, having read that article, I may be wrong, it does seem as if Hewitt as done a complete U-turn.
thebiglebowski said:
i want you to appreciate this; private club. PRIVATE CLUB! shouldn't this engender NO outside interference?! it's goddam PRIVATE!!!!

and i love this; hospitals are not part of the ban. what in god's holy name is going on here? and what about the complete turn-around by Patricia Hewitt (the Health secretary) - can any of our UK brothers expand on this?

oceana has always been at war with eastasia...
Hmmm... hospitals in the UK have been non-smoking for about 20 years as far as I know....

Can I explain the U-turn? Well, I think it comes down to the fact that tony Blair is losing his grip on his job security, and control over his MPs, and this was a 'party line' job... don't tow the line, don't come back for a job next election....
Actually reading the story again, it would appear it's just British politicians being crap.

Lumpy, it doesn't seem that the US will be far behind you. There's all kinds of legislation in play to try and have the government control tabacco and many states are already putting public bans in place. I don't know about the UK but here we used to be "for the people, by the people." We're going away from that now.

Before this goes too much farther here in the states, perhaps we should organize a letter writing campaign to make our preferences known. It is true. The squeeky wheel does get the oil.

I'm shooting a letter off to my congressman now. It's nice now that he's speaker of the house.

D

here is my letter.

Dear Mr. Speaker:

much has been made of smoking bans of late. Broad
sweeping legislation has been spreading through Europe
like wildfire. Governments taking the freedoms of
citizens seems to be increasing. On our side of the
ocean a similar thing is taking place. Municipalities
are removing American's abilities to think and act for
themselves.

I understand there are those that would heartily
disagree with me about smokers' rights. However,
there is disagreement in every aspect of life.
Tobacco is legal. It has been a major component of
the American economy for centuries. We will now toss
it in the bin, because some people don't like it?

I am an enjoyer of cigars. I like the taste the aroma
and the relaxation it provides. After a difficult
day, a cigar helps me organize my thughts and see the
world in a different way. I enjoy the socialization
that occurs while smoking a cigar. Friends and family
sit and discuss the days events over a smoke. In my
family, it is a way of bonding. Like others, I enjoy
smoking in bars. They are bars for a reason. A place
to go and enjoy adult entertainment.

So before making a decision on this issue, have a
cigar and relax. Look at the problem from a different
point of view. Please do not take away my right to
happiness, because for me happiness is a good cigar
with friends at my local pub.

I thank you for your time and look forward to watching
what happens on this issue.

Sincerely,

Daniel Weber
Kettering, OH

Maybe the UN can get a global non smoking referendum passed,,that would make the world a lot safer...

Jerry in Minnesota

Back