Etiquette when going to an event?

hardcz

Lowland Gorilla
So I'm going to a cigar event tomorrow...actually two... and I picked up some cigars I tried that were relatively cheap, though had a decent mild smoke to them. I want to bring some stuff to pass around to people I meet, and really don't know what's good and what sucks..... Is it bad to give something away that's inexpensive if I thought it was not bad? I don't understand what a trash rocket, or dog rocket ? If that's it, what those are, but hear people hate those.

So I'm going to a cigar event tomorrow...actually two... and I picked up some cigars I tried that were relatively cheap, though had a decent mild smoke to them. I want to bring some stuff to pass around to people I meet, and really don't know what's good and what sucks..... Is it bad to give something away that's inexpensive if I thought it was not bad? I don't understand what a trash rocket, or dog rocket ? If that's it, what those are, but hear people hate those.

Absolutely not! It's the thought that counts.

My rule of thumb.. regardless of price...if there is a cigar you enjoyed smoking and would like the share with other BOTL then it's a good cigar to gift.

and like Justin said.. it's the thought that counts.

Sounds like you are about to have your first herf. Here is a thread posted awhile back in regards to herf etiquette.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71464

As far as giving cigars away, if you consider it a good cigar its a good cigar. I wouldn't worry about people looking down on you if you are handing out "dog rockets." They aren't dog rockets to you, you're trying to be a nice guy by giving people smokes you enjoy, I don't see the problem.

Just don't hand out something you wouldn't smoke yourself. As long as they are not Swisher Sweets/Backwoods/Infused Cremosas/Cohibos I think you will be just fine. :2

Its the gesture or thought that counts :tu

The only issue I'd have in gifting out cheaper cigars is if you are receiving expensive cigars as gifts yourself. Admittedly you probably don't know what is an expensive cigar and what isn't at this point.

I like to bring a wide range of cigars to a herf. Smokes to pass out, pricier smokes in exchange for pricey smokes and Cubans for guys that I know will enjoy them.

If you want to gift smokes then gift what you think are enjoyable. Don't worry about price, name, etc. If you are around true BOTL they will appreciate the gesture much more than the cigars anyway. :2

If you want to gift smokes then gift what you think are enjoyable. Don't worry about price, name, etc. If you are around true BOTL they will appreciate the gesture much more than the cigars anyway. :2

:tpd: These are true words here. Nicely put Madurolover.

just to say what every one else said it is the thought that counts.just last year me and some guys were going to our first herf we gave a few away but every one hooked us up and like the gesture that we brought something.

Thanks, I thought they were an average cigar, definitely smokable, just was worried about everyone with well named or expensive or something with more body to it looking down at something that wasn't $10 per stick.

Going to bring a handful tomorrow, hopefully those that get them are happy and enjoy the smoke.

Dan

Thanks, I thought they were an average cigar, definitely smokable, just was worried about everyone with well named or expensive or something with more body to it looking down at something that wasn't $10 per stick.

Going to bring a handful tomorrow, hopefully those that get them are happy and enjoy the smoke.

Dan

What are you bringing, if you dont mind sharing?

Im always interested in finding a decent cheap cigar.

Dan,
I have traded $3 sticks for Siglo II's and $15 sticks for Cusano's. I think that the gesture of it is the best part. Don't worry about how it is percieved, if someone looks down upon the stick, they are probably worried about the stick everyone sees them smoking, not the comraderie of it. :tu

What are you bringing, if you dont mind sharing?

Im always interested in finding a decent cheap cigar.

Dominican Primeros, I had picked up some because I was told they'd be a great every day smoke if you didn't want to blow $10 a day or more per cigar. And turned out I ended up liking them.

I agree with all that's been said above. It IS the company...the cigars are just a great excuse to form the company. Personally I think that gifting a cigar you like that also happens to be a cigar that they may not have tried is a great combo.

Think about this....

Cost doesn't dictate "quality". I love Ghurkhas - others here wouldn't smoke them unless they had too. Average B&M price depending on the sticks are $8 and up to $32.

Now if I can get the same $8 cigar on cbid for $3.75 a stick, which is it a $4 cigar or a $8 cigar.

I just did my first Herf, and at this point I can recognize a few of the "pricer" smokes by name, but they are out of the budget. So I offer what I can and accept what they offer in the spirit intended. I had a great time cooking and meeting some of the people here.

Dominican Primeros, I had picked up some because I was told they'd be a great every day smoke if you didn't want to blow $10 a day or more per cigar. And turned out I ended up liking them.

Back