Europe has gone too far with this one

It makes perfect sense within the realm of the law. Why should the he be exempt from the smoking rules within the building if the crowd is strictly held to a certain standard.

Very un-rock'n'roll of me.

Hey its already been done here,,I forget what city but Ron White smoked a cigar while performing and the city was thinking of fining him,,I don't know how it all turned out.. Some A--hole here in Minnesota was wondering if there would be a toll free number to call if he sees someone light up in a bar..
You can't make this shit up....

Jerry (Noooooooooooooooooosmokin) in Minnesota.

It makes perfect sense within the realm of the law. Why should the he be exempt from the smoking rules within the building if the crowd is strictly held to a certain standard.

Very un-rock'n'roll of me.

:tpd:

Same reason they would cut concert goers off from drinking at a certain point, I doubt that same rule applies for performers.

this has nothing to do with a statute, it has to do with the venues policy regarding serving alcohol.

There's a profound difference between complying with a statute, and on the other hand a policy that a venue may choose to have, or not to have, in their own discretion

All that will do it stop bands like VR from playing venues there, and that would be a shame for their fans. :2

...this has nothing to do with a statute, it has to do with the venues policy regarding serving alcohol.

There's a profound difference between complying with a statute, and on the other hand a policy that a venue may choose to have, or not to have, in their own discretion

Actually in some states its illegal under state law to serve anybody who is "visibly intoxicated." It's like that in PA, but most places don't really bother with it.

But anyway, if it's illegal to smoke indoors, then just because you're a rock star shouldn't get you off the hook. I do agree that banning smoking at a rock and roll concert is goofy, but the law ought to be applied equally to everybody.

It is pretty strict in Auburn, AL. I think a few performers have gotten in trouble there. I bet the college kids there hate it. Slash without his never ending cigarette is like him leaving his guitar at home.

But anyway, if it's illegal to smoke indoors, then just because you're a rock star shouldn't get you off the hook. I do agree that banning smoking at a rock and roll concert is goofy, but the law ought to be applied equally to everybody.

While I certainly agree with you in principle, I would not be opposed to allowing this "Rock Star" exception if it kept the bands I wanted to see coming to my town. :2

While I certainly agree with you in principle, I would not be opposed to allowing this "Rock Star" exception if it kept the bands I wanted to see coming to my town. :2

This is the truth. As with any law, the lawmakers will bow to the special interest groups if there's money involved.

My personal thoughts are that banning smoking in public places is one thing, however banning smoking at events which one must purchase a ticket to get into is rather foolish. People have as much right to choose not to attend something because of smoke as they do the right to attend.

As of now, most of the anti-smoking litigation is an outright breach of rights. I understand the logic of no smoking in public places, aka government owned and operated, and at certain workplaces. I support that, because that's something people don't have a lot of control over, and therefore it's fair they shouldn't be subjected to it.

Where I feel the overstepping of bounds occurs is when they try to enforce anti-smoking on bars, restaurants, clubs, concerts, and other similar establishments where people have a choice if they wish to enter and do business. If people don't want to be in a smoking environment, they can choose to not do business there, and if it becomes an issue, you will see a lot of businesses change to a no-smoking policy to keep the customers happy. If people don't want to work in a smoking environment, that is again their choice.

There are probably 2-300 restaurants in Lafayette. Why do they all have to be no-smoking? Why can the owner not have the option to make it smoking or non? The owner will choose along with the majority business (to maximize his profits). I hear people argue that they want to eat there, but don't want to be in a smoking environment. I have news for those people...private businesses are like clubs...you play by the rules of the club if you want in. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to join the club. No one forces you to eat/work at a smoking establishment, you have the choice just like everyone else.

/rant off

Where would you stop making exceptions? Is it allright for rich or famous people to break laws? If so, what laws are they allowed to break and which are they not?

I agree a lot of the laws present and proposed are stupid, but everyone should follow the same rules.

Just my opinion :2

Where would you stop making exceptions? Is it allright for rich or famous people to break laws? If so, what laws are they allowed to break and which are they not?

I agree a lot of the laws present and proposed are stupid, but everyone should follow the same rules.

:tpd:

California has had a smoking ban for sometime now. I can tell you for a fact that the law is not enforced in certain establishments in the area...and the Sheriffs had made it clear they won't bother to write tickets to the Patrons of these establishments.

dont see a problem.. no smoking in the building means everyone not someone..

think if someone came in your home and lit up even when you asked them not too you would throw them out on there ass right?? well samething here, they could have stoped the show.. so really there pretty lucky..

I would stop with letting Slash and Scott Weiland smoke wherever they wanted if they were playing music for me and my friends. :ss

Its Rock and roll, there are exceptions to the rule. If there werent Keith Richards would still be in a Canadian jail cell, Paul McCartney would be still in some Japanse prison, and those who died at 27 would still be around today.

Its Rock and roll, there are exceptions to the rule. If there werent Keith Richards would still be in a Canadian jail cell, Paul McCartney would be still in some Japanse prison, and those who died at 27 would still be around today.

It's only Rock and Roll.....but I like it. :)

Euorpe, if I am not mistaken, is largely state run...it does not surprise me that they would try this...in fact, I think Minnesota is going to try the same thing...I can't remember which state in the U.S. it is but they are now fining people who smoke in their cars if a passenger in the car is under 18....

I agree with some parts of the smoking ban and others I don't. While I like being able to go into a resturant without ciggertte smoke making me gag to death, I also think private business owners should be able to do whatever they want with there establishment.

I don't think Slash should be fined. In a venue that huge, is two ciggs really going to effect anyone? I bet no one there could even smell the smoke for it to bother them.

Back