Ever have bad smoking days?

Danimal

CS Cog
Here's the situation:

I've been smoking a lot more these days (about 1x day the past 3 weeks). Today and yesterday I noticed that my smokes tasted weird.. and these were smokes that were sitting longer in my wine-cooler than the others I've been smoking the past 3 weeks, which I took out of my humidor. So I smoked 3 different ones last night to see and I felt the same way about them.

I noticed some weird tastes on the finish that I noticed were not too tasty. I got paranoid thinking of jmgcash3's post a few months back about his smokes tasting refrigerated.. if that's the case w/ me I'm screwed b/c the majority of my smokes are in there. Anyhow, I hope that this is just a funk and something temporary on my behalf b/c the Gran Habano I got in the mail today from SeanGAR sort of left the same taste... but not as prominent.

Sooo.. the question is: Do you ever have days where you don't enjoy your smokes as much or you don't seem to notice the flavors as much as normal?

Maybe I should take a few days off, but w/ my growing collection, it's too tough!

DKim81 said:
Sooo.. the question is: Do you ever have days where you don't enjoy your smokes as much or you don't seem to notice the flavors as much as normal?

Maybe I should take a few days off, but w/ my growing collection, it's too tough!
Well, I can tell you that there have been a couple of days I remember within the past couple of months that it seemed my taste buds simply weren't working well... In fact, I even went to a couple of my "go-to" smokes to see if there was a problem, and I still didn't really enjoy them to their fullest. I think it could be any of a huge number of factors, but here's what I suspect happened to me... I had hot soup the night before, and my tongue MAY have been burned a little. If you burn your tongue, even on a SMALL part of it, you can lose an entire spectrum of your taste sense. Also - I have been known to experience allergies on rare occasions. If allergies affect your sinuses, you may lose quite a bit of your sense of smell and taste. I've had to log a couple of smokes in my journal as "try again - bad night" due to these phenomenon. :)

Many of things can effect the taste of a good cigar, I've heard your mood can change the taste. Right now I got a kidney stone and a cigar hasn't tasted the same due to the Vicodine. Was off the pills a day and bam the good tasting cigars were back. So IMHO anything can effect your smoking pleasure.

I would say that your taste can be affected by different factors like drugs and illness. Perhaps you've temporarily fried your palate? Try taking a respite from stogies for a day or two. :)

Jeff said:
I would say that your taste can be affected by different factors like drugs and illness. Perhaps you've temporarily fried your palate? Try taking a respite from stogies for a day or two. :)
:tpd:
and get your head out of the cooler ! :)

Being in Houston this could be an allergy. Seems like half our office had bad allergic reactions this week.

whodat1 said:
Being in Houston this could be an allergy. Seems like half our office had bad allergic reactions this week.

yes, there is definately a bug going around recently

I take several types of meds on a twice daily basis, and I know for a fact that if I burn one right after my morning dose the meds effect the taste but it seems that after absorbtion of the meds is complete taste isn't an issue. and like whodat said I've also found that allergies can often screw up my taste buds to some extent from time to time so hopfully this is a temporary thing.

Yes......what they all said. I go through periodic bouts of "dead palate" where everything tastes bland & boring. I usually attribute it to allergies or sinus, but I have heard that the batteries in digital hygrometers can emit gasses that can lend an off flavor to cigars. Could this be a factor?

piperman said:
Many of things can effect the taste of a good cigar, I've heard your mood can change the taste. Right now I got a kidney stone and a cigar hasn't tasted the same due to the Vicodine. Was off the pills a day and bam the good tasting cigars were back. So IMHO anything can effect your smoking pleasure.
I agree with piperman I too think your mood changes the way a cigar tastes... And Vicodin will certainly change your mood also, but I digress.

kansashat said:
but I have heard that the batteries in digital hygrometers can emit gasses that can lend an off flavor to cigars. Could this be a factor?

Geez. Please tell me your kidding! Those batteries are quite small, an until now I thought they were sealed up pretty tight. Aren't they similar to the batteries used in hearing aids? Does this mean that grandma has noxious fumes eating away into her brain? :r

Seriously, this is the first I've heard mention of this. And while I suppose the premise is quite plausible, I would also hope that battery manufacturers have thought this through a bit.

Interesting to say the least. Now my curiosity is peaked. Thanks kansashat. One more thing to obsess about with the humidors!! :fu :)

I find that my allergies acting up or a slight head cold kills my palate.
Must. Destory. Neighbors. Hibiscus......

Thanks for all the input guys. I believe it is just allergies mainly when you guys bring that up. Been taking meds to appease it as well. I think I am simply paranoid b/c the smokes I had at the Texas herf were out of the cooler and tasted fine and one I gave to Uniputt that was sitting in my cooler got some good feedback. Either way, I will take a short hiatus from smoking and determine later this week.

DKim81 said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I believe it is just allergies mainly when you guys bring that up. Been taking meds to appease it as well. I think I am simply paranoid b/c the smokes I had at the Texas herf were out of the cooler and tasted fine and one I gave to Uniputt that was sitting in my cooler got some good feedback. Either way, I will take a short hiatus from smoking and determine later this week.
Let us know how it turns out.
:cool:

You're not the only one who had problems last week. My allergies were out of control, maybe because I was smoking 3-4 sticks per day ;) ? I was coughing and hacking in the middle of each smoke. I think mold spores were out of control last week.

OH boy ! Have I ever. Sometimes I suffer from severe alergies.

Do you know what a cigar taste like with a headache,stuffy nose and a sore throat. It taste like sh*t. Even the best cigar taste like that under those conditions.

Sometimes even when the alergy conditions are not that bad it can still effect the taste buds.Especially if you are on any medications for this.

The only cure is to not waste your cigars and wait until you are better.

To echo what's already been said:

If i'm sick I can't taste anything. Meds also have a funny way of messing with my taste buds. I don't really suffer from allergies thankfully.

Back