Ever seen an immature bettle? - The experiment continues (part 2)

jjirons69

Son of Evil Emperor Zurg
On 2/20/08 I posted pictures of a couple of immature beetles I found in a cigar. See story HERE.

Well 9 days later and I go to check on Mr. Molt and Mr. Crawly. Here's what I find...Mr. Molt is damn near Mr. Beetle. He's tuned brown, his little legs wiggle, but not enough strenth to lift. They're still curled to his underbelly. His back and abdomen are looking more like a beetle with segmented halves. His eyes are also getting more pronounced. Mr. Crawly is still a larva, but he is stronger than 9 days ago. He has small legs where no legs were there last viewing. His head is bigger and more pronounced. His thin skin that was transparent last time has thickened and it ready to harden. He had wrapped himself in tobacco shavings and was hard to find. My guess is he's ready for the next step, Mr. Molt, Jr. Also, Mr. Molt got a little excited with the camera and lights and pooped some tobacco juice. I didn't know what it was when it was happening. Weird!

I dampened on of the leaves and tossed them all back in the test tube. I figure I'll check them next Friday. Stay tuned.

Sorry if the lighting was off...I tried it under a halogen for brightness, but I don't like the results as much as the first set. It's pretty damn hard trying to photograph something this small.

part2.jpg

part21.jpg

part22.jpg

part23.jpg

part24.jpg

part25.jpg

Yet again, I find your picture to be of great quality, even on my BBerry.

They aren't as ugly as they were last time though.

Very interesting....Thanks for sharing!:tu:)

I'm curious as to what type of lighting you used the first time...Although both sets are excellent!!!:ss T kindly IA!:)

nasty little bug... how big is it in relation to a dime??
..kris..

I knew after I had downloaded the pics I should've used something for sizing. Look at your credit card. There should be a "0" somewhere in the Good From or Valid Thru areas. These two creatures could fit nicely in the "0". Three could probably cover it.

I'm curious as to what type of lighting you used the first time.

Light from a 60W clear bulb. The light on these was a 50 W halogen.

I never want to smoke any cigars from your humi!!!:r

All is well. They get a monthly, thorough inspection. I check my beads for dryness and I look at all the sticks. My factory boxes get a quick glance. All my trades, PIFs, etc. get a tap in the palm and the boxes are checked for frass. I'm a clean-freak anyway. A touch of OCD. I like all the labels pointing up. :D

Thinking about going into entomology any time soon?

Took entomology as an elective in college and really liked it. The way I look at it, I'm thinking this is my one and only dance with the beetle so I wanted to see how it worked. If nothing else, I can give advice to another brother one day.

Love this thread almost as much as I love the names - Mr. Molt and Mr. Crawly.

My two year old buddy does need a nickname, and Mr. Crawly might be just what I'm looking for! :tu

Thanks for the update! Lookin' forward to part three!

Next experiment: put an unbanded Cuban and an unbanded Non-Cuban in there and see which one they prefer. And send the results to Moki.

;)

How does the saying go: Keep your friends close, your enemies closer . . . . Study, learn their habits, their weaknesses, and exploit the heck out of em!!:gn:gn

On the serious note, great experiment, definitely looking forward to next installment. Just hope I never run across them anytime soon. It's like snakes and spiders for me, I can look at them in pictures, but if I see them, the spider gets a size 12 shoe, and the snake gets a round of 00buckshot.

they look so cute, until you find them in your cigars :BS

You and I have different opinions of "cute"... :D

Next experiment: put an unbanded Cuban and an unbanded Non-Cuban in there and see which one they prefer. And send the results to Moki.

;)

Bwahahahahahahaha... that's hilarious! :r:r

Thanks for the thread, JJ... this is definitely pretty cool!

They were all immature in their day. Probably Ringo was the most immature followed by Paul then John then George. :ss

Nive work professor. Pretty cool experiment you got going. I really hope that I never see these guys anywhere but in your posts. Can't wait for the next update.

Back