Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight

flmcgough

Young Ape
I left tonight's smoke up to the forum, and they decided the Dark Knight was the way to go!

Construction: The stick appeared very good, but I was highly disappointed with the cap. It was poorly applied, and when I cut the cap, the remainder fell off, causing the stick to partially unravel. The draw was good, however, and it lit without too much difficulty.

First Third: The flavor during the first third is very creamy and somewhat sweet, with just a hint of spice. Plenty of smoke is produced as well. The burn required one slight correction, bu nothing major.

Second Third: The flavors I found in the first third largely continued, although I found the smoke was slightly harsher. The wrapper also required another correction, and a relight. Towards the end, a woody flavor also appeared.

Final Third: The creaminess and sweetness was mostly gone by this point, replaced by more spice and the woody flavor. It also became increasingly harsh.

Verdict: Overall, I'm a bit underwhelmed by this cigar. It is generally very well regarded here, but that was not my experience. The flavors were pretty good, but the construction definitely left something to be desired. As it was, I'd give it a 7.5. Had the construction been better, I'd consider it an 8.5. I'd like to try another, to see if I just had a bad stick.

Good review thank you. I just had one of these the other day. And I'm with you though the flavor was nice the construction left something to be desired.

Thanks for the review. It is a good smoke with interesting flavor IMHO. Don't let the construction of one turn you off. On the other hand there are so many good cigars out there............so many so little time!

Just finished my first Excalibur and would have to agree with the review. Had same problems with the cap. Flavours seemed to be the same on this end and towards the last third the wrapper started to peel off as well.

Overall I did enjoy it, first maduro I had in awhile. I would give it an 8.5 out of 10, not running out to buy a box, but would not be scared to buy a few more singles in the future. Just my :2.

I smoked my first one about a week and a half ago at a BBQ competition. It was a Dark Knight I and I really enjoyed it. Sorry to hear about your construction problems!!

Back