Favorites are favorites for a reason

gvarsity

mr. mom
I smoked primarily Exalibur #1s, Punch Rotshchilds and Padron 3000 for years. Before I went ass over teakettle down the slope courtesy of Club Stogie that was enough for me. I have had a wide variety of cigars in the past six months and really enjoyed some, really disliked some and was ambivalent about many.

Not counting the Cubans I have had the pleasure to try some of the smokes that I hadn't had before that have really stood out are the CAO CX2, Fuente Short Story & 858 flora fina natural, Indian Tabac Fire Maduro, Oliva Serie G Special G Maduro, Perdomo Reserve Cameroon, Ashton Heritage, Puros Indios Viejo & Maxima, just to name a few.

Tonight I was playing golf and I fired up a Puros Indios Viejo Presidente on the second hole and it freaking exploded. The wrapper just disintegrated. I thought maybe it was the storage conditions which made me really worried about the other two in my leather carrier.

So I pulled out a Punch 3000. I haven't had one of these in a couple of years and was afraid it was going to be bad like the PI which I put out after about an inch. I was also concerned the Padron wouldn't live up to my memories. Neither was the case. Even on a windy golf course burned pretty darn even and consistently. Tasted great and I smoked it until it burned my fingers. Really took me back.

Then I pulled out a Excalibur Dark Sumatra not the traditional number one but similar. This two burned exceptionally well with great flavor and little need for attention. Also a great experience and good memory.

I don't in any way regret my cigar ho-ish ways of trying everything and anything while experimenting. :) The Puros Indios Viejo really let me down today. The first time I had had one it really made me go wow! This time it was garbage which was quite disappointing. I don't ever remember having a bad Padron or Punch or Excalibur and I have had at least 50 of each over the years. I think I am taste wise moving back to my old favorites because they alway satisfy and at this point that is what I want most out of a cigar. Satisfaction.

Not that I am cleaning out the humi any time soon. This is probably a more glacial move back to the "classics" for me. :ss

You know, I think this to myself EVERY time I smoke a cigar that doesn't live up to the hype, or what I would want it to live up to. There's just something about a cigar that you like that "clicks" in your brain when you taste it. I just think to myself, "This is what a good cigar tastes like!"

As much as I love buying new cigars to smoke, I just want to buy a cab of sticks I love, and leave it at that!

sucks that it blew up, but look at it this way:it's a handmade product-sooner or later there's bound to be a plug, split, or something else wrong just by the law of averages-don't let it sour you on some of the new sticks you've enjoyed-just my 2 cents

My neighbor... wise old sage that he is, has noticed my recent infatuation with cigars. His theory (as he's stated repeatedly) is "find one or two that you like and that are affordable, and stick to them... there's no cigar in the world that is worth $10, and you shouldn't spend a ton of money on cigars anyway."

I really haven't listened to him. :r

He smokes NC ERDM Robusto Largas and Excaliburs #2s. And he's a guy who has tried many and could actually afford to smoke whatever he pleases.

I am, however, beginning to narrow down my collection and acquisition primarily to a few types of my "old favorites," but will probably always have a fairly diverse (though probably not large) collection of the "high end" stuff... because I'll always purchase Anejos/Opus/Annis/whatever whenever they can be had at a great price (which fortunately for my wallet isn't too often).

I've had nothing but bad luck (construction-wise) with Puros Indios. I stopped smoking them in the late 90's for just that reason. 1 in 5 had good construction. Shame too, because when the construction was on, they were very good cigars.

I only buy boxes of favorites, tho I try to keep 7-8 boxes of decent bombers on hand as an exception. But personal consumption its all favorites.

Good thoughts all. I don't think I will ever give up variety entirely but I have been on a "try something new" almost every smoke for awhile and it is time to settle down. CS has introduced me to many new and quite delicious cigars and I am very appreciative. I think I have gotten to that place where I have a sense of what could be my "primary" rotation and from there mix it up on occasion. :) All in all a good thing.

Good thoughts all. I don't think I will ever give up variety entirely but I have been on a "try something new" almost every smoke for awhile and it is time to settle down. CS has introduced me to many new and quite delicious cigars and I am very appreciative. I think I have gotten to that place where I have a sense of what could be my "primary" rotation and from there mix it up on occasion. :) All in all a good thing.
I've been leaning towards having a 5 stick rotation where 2 in five is a favorite. Once I get more seasoned I'll probably be trying a lot fewer new things because I have a good idea of what I like, but right now pretty much 5 times a week I have something new and exciting. Up tonight is the 5 vegas A and it doesn't even have to be very good as I got the box for LESS than a dollar a stick.

I smoked one of my favorites yesterday, very consistent never lets me down,it suits my taste evertime! PLUS it's under 4 bucks a stick..... and easily found.

I asked myself yesterday, why dont I just smoke these, ahh but variety is fun. I am done buying cigars for collecting I have a few TAA sets, yeah thier cool... but I'll probably never smoke them.. no more Forbidden Opus X in glass tubes.. I'll pass just give me a XxX, and I'll be happy.

I have several!!!!!!!!! different brands to choose from at home, but my old favorites just never let me down, and thats what I want after a days work.

I've been leaning towards having a 5 stick rotation where 2 in five is a favorite. Once I get more seasoned I'll probably be trying a lot fewer new things because I have a good idea of what I like, but right now pretty much 5 times a week I have something new and exciting. Up tonight is the 5 vegas A and it doesn't even have to be very good as I got the box for LESS than a dollar a stick.

I enjoy the Vegas A's quite a bit I they are up for consideration as a regular in the rotation. Forgot to mention that. :)

I also don't know how much of this is familiarity/acquired taste. I still have smoked more of the Excalibur, Punch & Padron X000 series than anything else so it may be just what I am used to. If I smoke a box of Vegas A cigars for instance I may well acclimatize to them as well.

It seems like I haven't smoked two of the same make and model without a month in between for about six months. So I think I'll go pick up a box of Padron 3000 Maduros and relish the familiarity for a bit before I go back to exploring. Perhaps I will explore more slowly to so the newness doesn't overwhelm me again. :)

I really like the Fuente Short Story and 858 Flor Fina as well :tu. They are one of my best go-to cigars. Returning back to "classics" is always a good choice :u

I recommend trying the Fuente Cuban Belicoso and their other premium lines like Anejo, Opus X and Hemingways.

Unfortunately my favorite remains the RP 1990 or 1992 to the tune of 8-12 bucks per cigar. I guess thats good it keeps me from smoking tons of cigars but I still am trying everything new I can get right now.

Great topic

I really think the cigar industry is always coming out with the next best thing. Then being on these forum and read about different cigars also adds to wanting to try new stuff.

I am really settleing in on Padron 5000, Pepin Blue, La Aurora 1495 Series & my new pick is Perdomo ESV '91. These are by far my favorites & I have a box of each. My price points on all of these are under $6 per stick thanks to the auction houses.

I have a few boxes of CC's where my price points are $10 and I really don't think they are worth it. They are good but not outstanding for me.

Oh yeah the Puros Indios should not be smoked in direct sun light. The wrappers have always blown up on me too.

Unfortunately my favorite remains the RP 1990 or 1992 to the tune of 8-12 bucks per cigar. I guess thats good it keeps me from smoking tons of cigars but I still am trying everything new I can get right now.

Uh... I have some bad news for you. I'll try to break it to you gently, as you appear to be new. See... there's this site called cigarbid.com. It commonly has RP 1990s and 1992s in almost all vitolas, sold in 5 packs for $15-20. As in, $3-4 per cigar.

Unfortunately, they also have some great deals on other brands. That's why we call it "the devil site."

All this means you're going to have to buy a bigger humidor.

Oh yeah... cigarbid has those too. :ss

Uh... I have some bad news for you. I'll try to break it to you gently, as you appear to be new. See... there's this site called cigarbid.com. It commonly has RP 1990s and 1992s in almost all vitolas, sold in 5 packs for $15-20. As in, $3-4 per cigar.

Unfortunately, they also have some great deals on other brands. That's why we call it "the devil site."

All this means you're going to have to buy a bigger humidor.

Oh yeah... cigarbid has those too. :ss

No the secret is out!!!!!..... Oh wait it's been out for a long time my bad.

I wonder if developing a 1-5 stick basic rotation (after playing the field a bit) is like puberty or something. Just part of the natural development of a gorilla. Definitely price and opportunity to smoke play a role in what fits a regular rotation. I won't be smoking many Excalibur #1's just because of the time commitment.

I wish I had realized that Puros Indios had the wrapper/construction problems before I discovered I liked the flavor so much. ( I know use the search button ;) ) Although the one I had yesterday including the flavor was a dog from the get go. Wrapper exploded immediately and after 3/4 an inch I just tore the thing in half. Had a huge stem running down the middle too. Just annoyed me no end.

TNT cigars is backordered on the Padron 3000 Maddies ( also SO on 2k mads) can anyone comment the Delicas as an alternative? The thing is I have no concerns about consistency from any Padron product period. They all taste good burn good etc... etc... So I'll probably just buy them so I don't have to wait.

and even better value with the RP 1990s and 1992 seconds...

I like to try new cigars since I'm still figuring out what I truly like to smoke. Tried a few Padrons and Toranos that I like, some Fuente lines, some of the RPs I'm continuing to explore, and am really liking the Pepin lines so I will be trying a host of new ones. Although I dont have a favorite go-to cigar, I am starting to see which ones I can depend on for a good smoke.

Great post. I was thinking the same thing today as I have having a Padron 2000 which has been a staple. It has never let me down so I was thinking no wonder this became a staple in the humi.

I've had nothing but bad luck (construction-wise) with Puros Indios. I stopped smoking them in the late 90's for just that reason. 1 in 5 had good construction. Shame too, because when the construction was on, they were very good cigars.

Exactly my thoughts. Really tasty when they're on...not bad for a smoke you can get a bundle of 12 for $18 for on the devil site.

Baglorious- I think your PM officially destroyed my bank account lol. I went back and now will be smoking plenty of RP's among other things. Since you are the one who PMed me to go back and look again I think its only fair to be sending you a bill :)

TNT cigars is backordered on the Padron 3000 Maddies ( also SO on 2k mads) can anyone comment the Delicas as an alternative? The thing is I have no concerns about consistency from any Padron product period. They all taste good burn good etc... etc... So I'll probably just buy them so I don't have to wait.

I've got a box of these in the humi aging right now. Picked them up for the price (also from TNT)... after trying several of them from a B&M. I think if the size sounds acceptable to you, you'll like them just as much as you'd like a 2000 or 3000. I actually prefer them as a go-to, smaller smoke. And for under $64 a box... you just can't beat that with a stick.

Back