Feds to modify lighter ban on planes

DriftyGypsy

Not Here
Feds to modify lighter ban on planes

Friday, July 20, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Airline passengers will be able to bring many types of cigarette lighters on board again starting next month after authorities found that a ban on the devices did little to make flying safer, a newspaper reported Friday.
Starting Aug. 4, air travelers will be allowed to carry on disposable butane lighters, such as Bics, and refillable lighters, including Zippos, according to The New York Times. A prohibition on torch-style lighters, which have hotter flames, will continue.

"Taking lighters away is security theater," Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told The Times in an interview.

Lighters have been barred from checked bags for decades because of concerns they could start fires in cargo holds.

Congress banned lighters from flights after Richard Reid used matches to try to light explosives hidden in his shoes while on a Paris-to-Miami flight in 2001. Lawmakers worried that Reid might have succeeded if he had had a lighter. The lighter ban took effect in April 2005.

Security screeners collect an average of 22,000 lighters a day, and it costs about $4 million a year to dispose of them, The Times reported.

Hawley said confiscating lighters has not helped security much because other items could be used to detonate bombs.

"The No. 1 threat for us is someone trying to bring bomb components through the security checkpoint," he said. "We don't want anything that distracts concentration from searching for that."

Cool.

Now I can light up when I land. No more searching for a store to buy a lighter.

Otterbox makes a lighter case so your lighter can be put into checked luggage. It is specifically designed for zippos.

So does Colibri but theres is for butane lighters.

The lighter thing has been a joke at half the airports through which I've flown. For the longest time, I had a small Bic in my computer bag that I'd forgotten about. I flew through probably 6 different airports with it in there. Got harassed about my hair product (don't get me started); but no one peeped about the Bic. Glag they're finally getting rid of most of this ban. I guess I need a decent soft-flame refillable with which to safely travel now. Hmmmm....

The lighter thing has been a joke at half the airports through which I've flown. For the longest time, I had a small Bic in my computer bag that I'd forgotten about...

:tpd:

Found a lighter in my computer bag when I was in Korea.. I had no idea it was in there.

A prohibition on torch-style lighters, which have hotter flames, will continue.

This makes about as much sense as a woman trying to drive a car! :)r ) They won't allow torch-style lighters because their flames are hotter. For all intents and purposes, what can a torch do that a normal flame can't? I mean, unless somebody intends to set up a full-service chemistry lab requiring the dense, high heat of a torch, I don't know what the problem is. Want to light a fuse? I'm sure a Bic will work just as well as a Colibri.

Stupidity hurts.

Does anybody know if we're allowed to pack torch butane lighters in our check-in luggage?

I figure if there's nobody there to potentially light it, there isn't much harm. I don't feel like getting my luggage held up, or worse, not making the trip because I packed my lighter.

Thanks in advance.

Back