Finally getting a hydro...humidity reader

hardcz

Lowland Gorilla
Yea... I don't know what it's called, but I got a humidor with a crappy one that I could never set, it was gold colored, circular with a spring inside... that thing that tells you how wet your cigars should be....

So while taking advice from other members, I bought a new cutter and saw a device that tells the humidity and the temperature, so hoping to finally figure out how wet or dry it is in my humidor.... it's only been up a month or two, so no big deal, though no idea if I seasoned it right.

I'm excited!!! I was going to wait till my first fathers day...but I've been good at not buying cigars and buying diapers instead so I figure a little spurge wouldn't hurt.

I guess this doesn't mean much to any of you, though wanted to share in my excitement.

Hygrometers is what we call them, and it's a good choice upgrading from the cheapie that came with the humi. Many times the round analog hygrometers that come with humidors are worthless.

Even digital hygrometers can be off a little, I suggest you salt test your new hygrometer, its a way of calibrating it's readings.

use a small bit of salt... i fill the cap to an empty milk jug.

Moisten salt.... one or two drops of water is all you need, you want a paste not soup.

place salt with hygrometer in an airtight container for appx 12 hrs.... hygrometer should then read 75%, any more or less is the amount your hygrometer is "off" you'll need to adjust it's reading in order to be accurate. Some Hygrometers can be adjusted others you just have to do the math, if the salt test read 72% you'll know the humidity is allways 3% higher than the hygro is reading.

Hope that made sense........ enjoy your new Cigar Toy :tu

Hygrometers is what we call them, and it's a good choice upgrading from the cheapie that came with the humi. Many times the round analog hygrometers that come with humidors are worthless.

Even digital hygrometers can be off a little, I suggest you salt test your new hygrometer, its a way of calibrating it's readings.

use a small bit of salt... i fill the cap to an empty milk jug.

Moisten salt.... one or two drops of water is all you need, you want a paste not soup.

place salt with hygrometer in an airtight container for appx 12 hrs.... hygrometer should then read 75%, any more or less is the amount your hygrometer is "off" you'll need to adjust it's reading in order to be accurate. Some Hygrometers can be adjusted others you just have to do the math, if the salt test read 72% you'll know the humidity is allways 3% higher than the hygro is reading.

Hope that made sense........ enjoy your new Cigar Toy :tu

Any special kind of salt, or just morton table salt? I also bought one of those bags to calibrate it, are they very accurate or should I do both?

Thanks for the tips on setting it up.

I use table salt,

Im not not sure what bag your referring to, but if it's a calibration Kit, I imagine thats all you'll need. I dont think you need to do both, but I've allways used the salt test, never tried one of the kits.

The calibration kit is basically just a fancy salt test, it works by the same principles but they use fancier materials and stuff.

Just use the calibration kit and you'll be all set! (or at least your hygrometer will be.. :tu )

And it's a good idea to re-calibrate once in a while, my digital hygro was off by 6-7% after a year and a half when I salt tested it just the other week.

/Pac

How often should this be done? Does it depend on the size of the humidor?

Testing the Hygrometer does not matter on the size of the humidor - you would want to test it when you first get one and then maybe if it gets dropped and/or damaged for some reason.
If it's off you simply make note of how much, no need to get another one or anything.

Ron

kit and hygrometer came today!!!! Letting it sit for 36 hours or so...figure I'll probably test it once or twice a year for accuracy. I appreicate the feedback on this.

Good call on getting the digital hygrometer. After weeks of trying to get my humidor up to 65-70% according to my analog, I discovered it was reading about 40 points low. Might as well have not had one with that degree of inaccuracy.

Back