First cbid experience

Todd W

Pepin Hoe
Well, I bit the bullet and went for an auction on cbid last night. I think I paid a bit too much for five Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo, but I really wanted to try them, and I wanted to do so without buying a whole box. Overall, I think the site is just like any other auction: If you are impulsive, you'll pay, and if you want to spend hours scouring, you can find bargains. Nevertheless, I'm anxious to try the '64's!

If you won them... your toast!!!:hn

Nothing more slippery than the Devils Site!!!:tu

True that. I waited, and I waited, and I waited -- then I bid. Low and behold, someone else wanted those sticks too! My mind started rationalizing, saying it was still cheaper than any B&M that I've ever seen them in. Soooo, you know how it goes!

The trouble is: There are not too many B&M's around Seattle that carry 1964's. If I really like them, I'm going to buy a box and put some age on them. I'm BIG on Padron.

I always check cigarcylcopedia.com or thecigarspider.com or CI before bidding, that way I don't overspend. I hope you're wearing boots, this side of the slope is slippery more than most! The dark side is probably the worst!

Tam

I always check cigarcylcopedia.com or thecigarspider.com or CI before bidding, that way I don't overspend. I hope you're wearing boots, this side of the slope is slippery more than most! The dark side is probably the worst!

Tam

First rule of the Dark Side is... we don't talk about the Dark Side!:bn

Great sticks! And I'm sure you will enjoy them!

I must rain on your parade just a bit, I'm afraid. SHAME ON ME! Don't want to tarnish your cbid excitement... cbid rocks, and be excited about your first purchase! Hate to tell you, it is the first of many, and your wallet will be sore. ;)

Now for some practical advice. The "rarer" cigars are a bit dicey on cbid, and often you may overpay. I agree with you that if it takes you two hours to find the deal, lol... and you want 'em... then just pay the extra $10! Padron Annis actually aren't too bad... but things like Anejos are simply waaaaaaay overpriced.

My advice is always check two places to get a good "actual retail" to figure out whether it is worth it on cbid. I always check Cigars International and Holts to figure out what they actually go for, then see if it is worth it to go with cbid. You'll find that sticks like Gurkhas and Vintage Patels can be had for an absolute bargain.

A note on the Annis: Holts usually does have 5 packs of the '64s at reasonable prices, even non-sale, and they have them all the time. Check those out if decide you want more of 'em!

OR, do the lazy thing (like I do!) and fire a post up out here... "Anyone know where to find a good deal on [x]?" We'll help ya out.

I'll have to try Holt's out. I've had good luck with famous-smoke, and also bestcigarprices. Their quality on stuff like Padron, and Pepin is real good. I agree with what you say about buying premie smokes though. The spider had them listed @$12.60, so I guess I don't feel to bad about paying $65. When you factor in the opportunity cost, it's all good!

I can tell how many people here really check the cbid, plus many other online sources. Together, we can't go wrong!:tu

You are SO f-ed!! C-bid has you in it's clutches now.

On a side note, I find some of the best deals on c-bid can be had in the "merchandise" section. Lots of cheap wins available on great lighters, humi's, etc. Like with all c-bid auctions just now what you can get it for elsewhere and you'll be OK.

Try Taboo for these with their 33% coupon............... great vendor, and sometimes you even get cookies.

Last edited:
Back