First cigar and occasion?

Sigarz

Gorilla
I was just wondering if any of you remember your first cigar, if not the exact type then perhaps just the maker? and what occasion initiated this first smoke?

for me it was a Torano glass Tubo not sure exactly what kind I just remember it was a torpedo with about a 54 rg and maybe a 6.5 inch length the wrapper was either a cameroon or conn.
The occasion was a friends HS graduation party. great night that was. :w

I've told the story before, but it is a good cautionary tale.
Around twenty three years ago, a buddy and I were out driving around goofing off, probably looking for a race (we were around sixteen or seventeen) and stopped by an upscale tobacco shop and bought some ten dollar cigars (this would have been around 1983, give or take, so a ten dollar cigar was probably a pretty darned pricey stick at the time). Having never been around cigars or those who smoked them, we were tragically ignorant of proper procedure. In fact, neither of us were even smokers. We both inhaled those suckers, and being young males would not admit to the burning in our throats and chests as we smoked them, and held back the nausea as long as we could. Alas, the forces of nature were not to be denied and we were both about as green as a Dr. Seuss character somewhere around the halfway point. It took another fifteen years before I even tried another cigar.

I don't recall the brand, but I can't forget the sensation...

My first was a Carlos Torano 1959 on my 18th Birthday walking along the beach at Seaside, FL. It was an amazing night. I will never forget it. Thanks to that night i found my passion and have had an oppertunity to meet and make many friends.

My first said "It's A Boy" on it. It wasn't a Fuente that's for sure and it wasn't my boy. Something my wife brought home from the office.

The occasion was a summer night out in the back yard with my wifa and a Vodka Tonic.:dr

August of this year was in one of our larger "party stores" that happens to have a big walk in humidor. Just decided I wanted to try a cigar and picked up a Fuente Hemingway Signature, not sure why i grabbed that one but wow did i enjoy it. It's been all down hill since.

My first decent hand rolled cigar was smoked the nite before my wedding. I had the guys in my wedding party over for poker and cigars. We smoked Jose Piedra Brevas. After my wedding, my wife and I honeymooned in Cuba. We smoked some cigars there and I also brought 2 boxes home with me. That's how I got started on cigar smoking.

A Phillie Titan while camping with my closest friends last November- comin' up on a year of smoking for me :D Gonna have to celebrate that...probably with another Titan!

We camped for three days and two nights. I smoked 8 cigars during those two nights- 6 Phillie Titans and 1 Swisher Sweet Chocolate and 1 Swisher Sweet Perfecto.

I LOVED EM!

Haha.

First real cigar was a dried out CAO Brazilia Gol in the woods near my house at 11 o'clock at night in the freezing cold (couldn't let my parents know I was smoking plus I was 17). Didn't think it was any better than any Phillie....

Needless to say I know NOW.

My first cigar was definitely a Phillie (probably a Titan) smoked during the summer of 1997. Smoked it with a couple friends in high school during one of those infamous "so-and-so's parents are away and his brother is buying a keg" parties.

I knew enough about cigars, thankfully, to not inhale it. I don't remember much about the experience, probably because I was very drunk.

My first real cigar was a Cohiba Red Dot back in the summer of 2003... quickly followed the next day by an Ashton Cabinet.

I was in high school, and the Spanish and French departments organized a 3 week trip over the summer to Spain and France. 3 teachers (two of whom just got married) and 41 high school students, it was insane. Anyway, while we were in Spain, one of the guys gave me a cigarillo, no idea what it was. Later in that same trip while we were in France, I picked up some Backgammon cigars ("Cuban Filler"), I'd say that was probably my first real cigar, even if it was machine made (from what little info I've found online about them).

Jewels Sweets cigarillo, August of this year. No special occassion -- I had wanted to get a pipe for some time, and finally decided I would smoke something before I got a pipe (I do not smoke cigarettes). While waiting for an oil change, I went to a grocery store in the complex and picked them up. They were sweet with a bit of spice. Tried one the next day with my roomie.

Back