Food vacuums

hotreds

Support the troops!
I'm thinking of trying one of these for sending smokes out BUT I was wondering if they all require special bags. Are any available that let you vacuum and seal bags that you already have? I'd like to be able to vacuum and seal some of the five finger bags I use. Thanks!

Do NOT do this unless they are in a box. From personnal experience I can tell you that the cigars will get crushed!

I'm thinking of trying one of these for sending smokes out BUT I was wondering if they all require special bags. Are any available that let you vacuum and seal bags that you already have? I'd like to be able to vacuum and seal some of the five finger bags I use. Thanks!

I am pretty certain they use special bags only.

Da Klugs was known for his "enthusiasm" when using one of these vacuum sealers in cigars he mailed out. A bunch of people in the "Face-Off II.. Cuban David vs. Dom. Goliath" thread received KDTs with a very unusual press. Mine had "wings" like certain feminie products yet still smoked well.

I have one and I love it. Actually, they don't use bags to begin with, so to speak, the material you use comes in rolls that come in various sizes. I believe they are available in 6" wide, 8" wide and 10" wide rolls. The roll lays in a holder, within the unit. First you pull out enough, in length, to hold whatever it is you intend to package. Then you cut the roll, with a build it cutter that slides from left to right and in reverse. Then you used the lid to heat seal one end of the piece you have made. Once you do that, you place the item, food, whatever it is, that you plan to seal, with in the bag you just made. You then place the unsealed end under the lid, into a designated space. Then you press the lid down firmly and the vacuuming process begins. Once the proper amount of air is removed, the heat element automatically seals the bag. Walla, you have a vacuumed sealed package!

I have one and I use it all the time for food. I think it is overkill for cigars, unless you vacuum them for long term aging to reduce airflow. For bombs and trades it is overkill. Just kill it manually or you will squish the cigars like everyone else has said.

I use it all the time when I buy hamburger in bulk and freeze it. It works great for freezing things. Also you are supposed to be able to store individual portions in there and cook them in the bags in hot, not boiling water. Tried it once and it worked pretty well with a salmon fillet.

Thanks for the info! I WAS concerned about damaging the cigars. Probably will save my $$$ for now!

We used one for sending cigars with mixed results. Now its used for vittles only. It does work though. We're old and lazy so Zip locs are the ticket fer us.

IIRC hurricane06 used one for a trade when I was a newbie and it worked fine. The key is to not suck it completely dry (good advice anytime :D).

Back