Fort Worth, where the West begins and freedom ends

BeagleOne

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Well, it isn't as restrictive as I feared it would be, but I still don't like the fact there are any sort of restrictions.

Fort Worth council passes smoking restrictions

BY MIKE LEE

FORT WORTH -- Smoking will be completely banned in restaurants beginning in January, but the ordinance approved Tuesday still allows smoking in bars and bingo halls.
The 7-2 vote ended 18 months of debate on how far to extend the rules on smoking.

About 50 people signed up to speak about the ordinance, and dozens more filled the City Council chamber during the two-hour debate.

Councilman Carter Burdette, a non-smoker, gave a stem-winding speech against further restrictions, saying it constituted the tyranny of the majority over a minority.

"We may find our new motto is, 'Welcome to Fort Worth, where the West begins and freedom ends,' " he said.

Councilwoman Wendy Davis sided with public health groups, who said that the city needs to ban smoking to protect the health of restaurant and bar workers.

"I don’t feel there should be a freedom to compromise public health," Davis said.

A committee appointed by the Council spent more than a year studying the ordinance, and recommended a near-total ban, including bars. City Manager Charles Boswell overturned that recommendation, saying the city needs to allow smoking in bars, to avoid losing business to other cities.

Councilman Danny Scarth added the amendment allowing smoking in bingo halls, saying he was concerned about the effect that a smoking ban would have on the charities that rely on bingo halls.

The ordinance takes effect on Jan 1. Smoking will be illegal in most public places, including restaurants. The only exceptions will be bars, bingo halls, designated smoking rooms in hotels, outdoor patios at restaurants, sexually oriented businesses and private clubs such as fraternal organizations.

Re: to Fort Worth, where the West begins and freedom ends

Man, I am getting so tired of this new wave of smoking bans throughout the country. Guess I will just have to go and light a cigar... assuming it is still legal on my back porch... :tg

Last edited:
:c:c:c

(imagine a flurry of expletives coming out my mouth right now)

Complete and utter nanny state horseshit.

--

So, Tony, do we take up Bingo?

Last edited:
It's time for a revolution. Not just to maintain our right to a cigar, but for our freedms as Americans in general! We're slowly loosing all liberty.:sb

The ordinance takes effect on Jan 1. Smoking will be illegal in most public places, including restaurants. The only exceptions will be bars, bingo halls, designated smoking rooms in hotels, outdoor patios at restaurants, sexually oriented businesses and private clubs such as fraternal organizations.

At least they will still allow it in bars and other places,here in austin you have to be X amount of feet from any public entrance.

money talks................stop going to your favorite restaurants now that you can't smoke and i gaurantee that they will be up in arms to the city council about their loss of revenue.

you too james! no more del's.

bruce

At least they will still allow it in bars and other places,here in austin you have to be X amount of feet from any public entrance.

that part of the law can never be enforced. a door guy at a club on 6th street once LET me walk into the bar while smoking.

bruce

money talks................stop going to your favorite restaurants now that you can't smoke and i gaurantee that they will be up in arms to the city council about their loss of revenue.

you too james! no more del's.

bruce
This is going to kill the upstairs bar at Del's. I'll be blowing all my money somewhere else now, apparently.

I think the establishment should decide if it is smoking or non-smoking. If you don't like smoke, don't go to the smoking establishments.

Are the cigar friendly establishments just swallowing this? In Fayetteville, AR (Home of the Hillbilly Herf) when the city fathers enacted a ban even more restrictive than the state ban, several bar/restaurant owners got together and took the city to court and won. Anybody gonna put up a fight in TX?

James - I believe there is a large bingo hall on th southside near my grandmother's place. However, I think we will need to open one near Del's and have a side window into the Del's for our steaks and burgers.

I foresee a rather large dinner party at Del's on Dec. 31st to include lots of cigars. At least they left the strip clubs out as an exemption. New Orlean's Nights does have a pretty good steak on their menu.

James - I believe there is a large bingo hall on th southside near my grandmother's place. However, I think we will need to open one near Del's and have a side window into the Del's for our steaks and burgers.

I foresee a rather large dinner party at Del's on Dec. 31st to include lots of cigars. At least they left the strip clubs out as an exemption. New Orlean's Nights does have a pretty good steak on their menu.
Yep, the West Side Steakhouse is always an option.

I'm going to be in Vegas Dec. 31, dang it. How about an early farewell herf, too?

I didn't see them mentioned, but I'm assuming retail tobacco stores are exempt as well?

that part of the law can never be enforced. a door guy at a club on 6th street once LET me walk into the bar while smoking.

bruce

They have it now where the establishment doesnt get fined,but the person smoking.So yes you can technically smoke in a place where the management will allow it,but if TABC finds you,you are fined.

They have it now where the establishment doesnt get fined,but the person smoking.So yes you can technically smoke in a place where the management will allow it,but if TABC finds you,you are fined.
TABC enforces a local ordinance? I didn't know they had that power.

TABC enforces a local ordinance? I didn't know they had that power.
From what I have been told its them,but I may have been informed wrong? I asked a friend of mine who manages a bar down on 6th st. why everyone was smoking inside. She said that the bar won't get fined for the violation,but the person smoking themselves.She said TABC,but she could be incorrect.

Re: to Fort Worth, where the West begins and freedom ends

:tpd:
Man, I am getting so tired of this new wave of smoking bans throughout the country. Guess I will just have to go and light a cigar... assuming it is still legal on my back porch... :tg

Did like that non-smoker's comment about the majority condemning the minority . . .

Well, it isn't as restrictive as I feared it would be, but I still don't like the fact there are any sort of restrictions.

Fort Worth council passes smoking restrictions

BY MIKE LEE

FORT WORTH -- Smoking will be completely banned in restaurants beginning in January, but the ordinance approved Tuesday still allows smoking in bars and bingo halls.
The 7-2 vote ended 18 months of debate on how far to extend the rules on smoking.

About 50 people signed up to speak about the ordinance, and dozens more filled the City Council chamber during the two-hour debate.

Councilman Carter Burdette, a non-smoker, gave a stem-winding speech against further restrictions, saying it constituted the tyranny of the majority over a minority.

"We may find our new motto is, 'Welcome to Fort Worth, where the West begins and freedom ends,' " he said.

Councilwoman Wendy Davis sided with public health groups, who said that the city needs to ban smoking to protect the health of restaurant and bar workers.

"I don’t feel there should be a freedom to compromise public health," Davis said.

A committee appointed by the Council spent more than a year studying the ordinance, and recommended a near-total ban, including bars. City Manager Charles Boswell overturned that recommendation, saying the city needs to allow smoking in bars, to avoid losing business to other cities.

Councilman Danny Scarth added the amendment allowing smoking in bingo halls, saying he was concerned about the effect that a smoking ban would have on the charities that rely on bingo halls.

Now I have seen it all. Texas giving in to liberal pressure.

There is a similar law here in Oklahoma but you can still eat in the restaurant but they have to have seperate dining facilites for smokers and non smokers.

Now I have seen it all. Texas giving in to liberal pressure.

There is a similar law here in Oklahoma but you can still eat in the restaurant but they have to have seperate dining facilites for smokers and non smokers.

Heart disease is the number one killer in America. Smoking is a risk for it, but the food that restaurants serve is more detrimental than smoking ever will be. How's that thought?:al

Back