Fridge Stored cigars.

levinmiester

Young Ape
I just came into possession of 1/2 a box of montecristo #2 habanos and some habanos romeo y juliets. The thing is, the person that gave them to me had them stored in their boxes which were in the fridge. Any ideas on what kind of smoke they'll be after fridge storage? :hn I'm thinking I'll keep them in the humi for a few weeks eh?

I just came into possession of 1/2 a box of montecristo #2 habanos and some habanos romeo y juliets. The thing is, the person that gave them to me had them stored in their boxes which were in the fridge. Any ideas on what kind of smoke they'll be after fridge storage? :hn I'm thinking I'll keep them in the humi for a few weeks eh?

It really depends on how long they were in the fridge without humidification.
I would re-humidify them for at least a month or two.
:2

It really depends on how long they were in the fridge without humidification.
I would re-humidify them for at least a month or two.
:2

Peter is right. It depends on how long they were in the fridge. Don't expect them to ever fully recover since the coldness of the fridge dried up a lot of the necessary oils for the cigar to mature. But, they may smoke fine! Give them a few months to bounce back and you may have a great cigar on your hands. Hope everything works out.

Tony, I'm not sure how that would have any impact on their (re)humidifcation.

Well, you're right Peter, it wouldn't matter on their rehumidification. But I also wouldn't waste time and effort trying to revive fakes that may never have been worth much in the flavor department anyways.

Well, you're right Peter, it wouldn't matter on their rehumidification. But I also wouldn't waste time and effort trying to revive fakes that may never have been worth much in the flavor department anyways.

I agree with you. But there are many who subscribe to the "what do you have to lose" school of thought.

Also, how sure are you on their provenance and authenticity?

They're authentic :) I think the cigar shop he bought them from was this classy place on St. Thomas, not any sketchy street vendor or anything, it's a reputable place.

I hope they've been in the fridge for only a week or so, but it may have been a month or two. I'll have to clarify with him, but I'll definitely be keeping them in the humi for a few months then.

UPDATE
They're all in the humi, but i decided to break out one of the romeo and juliets. The flavor is still surprisingly present and pretty much the same to a romeo y julieta i smoked a week ago or so, so maybe the fridge didn't kill them afterall :)

Last edited:
I hope they've been in the fridge for only a week or so, but it may have been a month or two.

Either way, you should be fine. Sure, some of the flavor *might* be lost, but it's unlikely that they would be totally ruined. I have some dominicans that were stored in a desktop drawer without any humidification whatsoever for over a year, and they bounced back quite alright. Sure, they aren't as good as they would be if properly stored, but definitely good enough to smoke. Although they are a mild cigar, and I'd think that a mild cigar hasn't got as much to "lose" with improper storage than a full flavored stick.

Back