Fridgeador Question

OtterAKL4987

Blathering Elite Wannabe
I was wondering if a "dorm fridge" would work for a fridgeador. I have heard about using the wine coolers because they are thermoelectric, but would a regular fridge on the warmest setting work? Thanks.

I was wondering if a "dorm fridge" would work for a fridgeador. I have heard about using the wine coolers because they are thermoelectric, but would a regular fridge on the warmest setting work? Thanks.

Maybe - maybe not. You will just have to try it and see. Most refrigerators suck the moisture out of the air you have an ongoing battle to replace the RH.

Currently I am using a freezer as a fridgador. I have four pounds of beads in it and it's keeping a perfect 67/68 degree with 64/65% RH. I use a Johnson temp controller on it to regulate the temps instead of relying on the factory thermostat.

So - give it a try and see what happens.

Ron

Short answer: Yes and No. Ok, so that's not so short.

Here's the deal. Like Ron said, regular compression fridge units de-humidify air, which is part of the process to keep food fresher longer. Putting cigars in unprotected would dry them out fast.

Thermoelectric units don't dehumidify air, but they do collect condensation on the cooling sink. That's not bad, since if you're clever, you can find a way to make it drip and collect in a tray of beads :)

If you want to use a regular mini-fridge to store Cigars, you're going to have to store them in a sealed environment inside of the fridge. Tupperware, small humidors, or plastic bags are all options. You need to place a hygrometer in each container and monitor them though, because they will still eventually dry out.

My personal method (which is how I deal with overflow in my humidors and coolers) is to take a large flat Tupperware container, and put a small bead sack or tube in it. Then I use blocks of cedar (cannibalized oh-so-conveniently from the empty boxes of some cigars) to lift the cigars up off the bottom of the Tupperware, and also to segregate them from direct contact with the beads. Seal the container, and put it towards the front of the refrigerator (the front stays the warmest, but still cold). I check them containers about once every two to three days to make sure there's no mold developing, or that they haven't dried out.

Thermoelectric units don't dehumidify air, but they do collect condensation on the cooling sink. That's not bad, since if you're clever, you can find a way to make it drip and collect in a tray of beads :)

Don't mean to impede on someone else's thread but I didn't want to start another and you are going in the direction of my question.

I purchased a Vinotemp 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler (VT-28TEDS) lastnight and trying to figure out what to do here. I am using beads and planned on using something to catch the moisture into a bead tray. The question I have is; Plug the drain hole at the bottom or leave it open? I look at it as a place for humidity to leak out and planning to plug it. Any ideas or experience from anybody?

All you can do is give it a try. But as Ron said use a Johnson temp controller on it to regulate the temps it will make life easier.

Don't mean to impede on someone else's thread but I didn't want to start another and you are going in the direction of my question.

I purchased a Vinotemp 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler (VT-28TEDS) lastnight and trying to figure out what to do here. I am using beads and planned on using something to catch the moisture into a bead tray. The question I have is; Plug the drain hole at the bottom or leave it open? I look at it as a place for humidity to leak out and planning to plug it. Any ideas or experience from anybody?

Plug the whole. :tu

I used some lamanated paper and Duct tape where the condensation runs down to direct it into a tray of beads. It's only a few drops here and there while it runs.

And I plugged the hole with a rubber cork.

Back