? from a noobie

southjerzgt

Young Ape
well what is that sour tart taste that a cigar gives off, plus i cant find a good sweet cigar that doesnt taste like cardboard or old milk, i tried that acid "cold infused tea" or something it was ok until it had a real strong sour taste in the end, god i cant find any good ones, then i tried the oliva O my god that tastes horrible........im lost i dunno what is good

What have you smoked that you like?

You might try a nice maduro. Fuente 858 maddie is a nice cigar.

For a sweet nose, try a Macanudo & let your palate guide you from there.

well what is that sour tart taste that a cigar gives off

Twang, maybe? It's sort of a sweet-sour thing that many people (including me) find quite desirable. Not from an aromatic, though, which would be something different.

Maybe try an Ashton VSG if you seek sweetness and don't mind spending the bucks.

-Ken

Baccarat used to sweeten their tips, not sure if they still do. I agree with Alan though that a mild maduro from Fuente might be a great place to start.

In addition to Macanudo you might try Casa Torano or Chateau Real.

Avoid Acids.. :tu

Cigar stores keep their humidors wetter than many of us like to smoke our cigars. The more moisture in a cigar the more likely it will taste bitter, the more you let a cigar dry out the more likely it will taste harsh. Since you are complaining about a sour taste I also have a hunch you might like the cigar better if you let them dry out a bit. Experiment and report back soldier.

Welcome to Club Stogie!

Seems you relatively new to cigars.

A lot of people have started with Acid cigars. My wife is one of them (I mean no disrespect). Actually I did too. If your looking for something really sweet, try a Kuba Kuba. Something chocolaty, maybe a Natural Dirt.

Or something very mild, a Macanudo might suit your taste. Something with a coffee flavor, try some maduros.

If you start to get some sour taste more than half way through a cigar, try blowing out through it. It gets rid of some of the stale smoke left in the unburn tobacco.

Of course a lot depends on your taste and nic tolerance, too. Are you a cigarette smoker? I smoked cigarettes for decades before I headed down the proverbial slope -- so I started right off with a preference for the stronger, full-flavored stuff. It might be different for you. Also, if you smoke too fast, you can get a lot of obnoxious flavors that will probably be eliminated by taking things a bit slower.

-Ken

Try drinking something you enjoy with the cigar too- coffee or water and relax with the stogie making some time for it- this might help. I can't even enjoy a real quality cigar sometimes if its hot out or I'm thirsty or am not in a relaxing situation. :2

Try a macanudo hyde park, or a Helix robusto maduro. They are good maduros with a sweet kick and are pretty mild too.

Depending on the sweetness you want, you might try either a CAO Moontrance or a Kaluah. (about the only flavors I'll ever smoke) As for the bitterness/sourness, I second blowing back through every once in a while, smoking slower and drinking something either alcoholic or carbonated. These are all things I learned to do as a newbie.

I would agree with the Baccarat, expecially the Bonita. In addition, other recommendations would be Fuente Madro Curlyhead Deluxe, GR Specials Black, or go to Cigars International and check out their brand samplers and what they call taster packs. In addition, the Newbie Sampler Trades are a good spot to get a decent taste of what is out there.

I'm with taltos -- the Mild and Mild/Med taster packs from cigarsinternational.com are great ways to try out different smokes to see what you like. Two of my favorites from the mild taster pack are the Cusano 18 Connecticut and the Rocky Patel Connecticut.

...In addition, the Newbie Sampler Trades are a good spot to get a decent taste of what is out there.

:tpd:

That is the best way to figure it all out... (be careful, though, some of those FTGs are just plain loony).

:tu

i go with the suggestion to smoke slower. most new smokers smoke way too quickly which causes the cigar to burn hotter and more harshly. if you slow down the rate you smoke you should get a better flavour out of the cigar. if that doesn't work and you try some more cigars with no success, maybe this hobby just isn't for you...;)

i go with the suggestion to smoke slower. most new smokers smoke way too quickly which causes the cigar to burn hotter and more harshly. if you slow down the rate you smoke you should get a better flavour out of the cigar. if that doesn't work and you try some more cigars with no success, maybe this hobby just isn't for you...;)

Macanudo (the ones in the tin) or C.A.O 10th Anniversery

:tpd: Try going to a Cigar shop lounge where you can meet other smokers and discuss what you like.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this.

It sounds almost that you are not so fond of cigars in general. It might possibly be an aquired taste for you, possibly you haven't aquired it?

As a newbie myself, I find it best just to try any cigar I can get my hands on and keep track of certain characteristics I liked most from cigar to cigar.

Anyway, good luck in finding the one that tastes right.

-Ky

I don't think anyone has mentioned this.

It sounds almost that you are not so fond of cigars in general. It might possibly be an aquired taste for you, possibly you haven't aquired it?

As a newbie myself, I find it best just to try any cigar I can get my hands on and keep track of certain characteristics I liked most from cigar to cigar.

Anyway, good luck in finding the one that tastes right.

-Ky

Well said!

Back