Fuente 858 Maduro

St. Lou Stu

Keeper of the Loc-Nar
Awesome pre light flavor of cocoa and spice.
Easy pre light draw. Great feel.
1st 1/3 - Great flavor from the start. Sweet spice and chocolate with subtle earthy note. Nice aroma. Beautiful, solid white ash. Just a bit of musty grass flavor in the first third of this one which surprises me. It is real similar to Cuban grass/must. I find this odd as this is the first time I have tasted this in an 858. Very good though, just out of place. Halfway through the 1st 1/3 some citrus appears and it compliments the other flavors nicely. 1st third ended just like that. Tons of flavor and smoke.
2nd 1/3 – A continuation of the first. Not to be confused with a flat, one dimensional smoke, but a very consistent flavor with strength building just a bit. Ash continues to hold strong and is very appealing to the eye. I am reminded why I LOVE these smokes. The grass/must has disappeared, but it was an extra surprise to begin with. The flavor now is chocolaty, subtle leather with hints of a grapefruit citrus and clove. Smoke aroma is still very pleasing. Smells like a wonderful walk-in at the B&M.
Last 1/3 – Strength picked up as expected and some of the flavors dropped off in favor of a more leathery taste. Still had a signature clove/cinnamon Fuente taste too. The ash dropped only once at the halfway mark. Finished as a medium strength earthy smoke with the (what I call) signature Fuente spiciness.
Man, what a great smoke. I highly recommend trying these if you haven’t already. This is an example of a truly special maduro at a low cost. :tu

Just a great example of the Fuente Dominican Taste! These are so very close to an Anejo in flavor that it is amazing.

A wonderful way to spend a 70 degree night in February in Illinois!!!!!:ss

I wish I could agree with you on this cigar, but for some reason they bore the ever loving life out of me...I am sorry...Awesome review....

Awesome pre light flavor of cocoa and spice.
Easy pre light draw. Great feel.
1st 1/3 - Great flavor from the start. Sweet spice and chocolate with subtle earthy note. Nice aroma. Beautiful, solid white ash. Just a bit of musty grass flavor in the first third of this one which surprises me. It is real similar to Cuban grass/must. I find this odd as this is the first time I have tasted this in an 858. Very good though, just out of place. Halfway through the 1st 1/3 some citrus appears and it compliments the other flavors nicely. 1st third ended just like that. Tons of flavor and smoke.
2nd 1/3 – A continuation of the first. Not to be confused with a flat, one dimensional smoke, but a very consistent flavor with strength building just a bit. Ash continues to hold strong and is very appealing to the eye. I am reminded why I LOVE these smokes. The grass/must has disappeared, but it was an extra surprise to begin with. The flavor now is chocolaty, subtle leather with hints of a grapefruit citrus and clove. Smoke aroma is still very pleasing. Smells like a wonderful walk-in at the B&M.
Last 1/3 – Strength picked up as expected and some of the flavors dropped off in favor of a more leathery taste. Still had a signature clove/cinnamon Fuente taste too. The ash dropped only once at the halfway mark. Finished as a medium strength earthy smoke with the (what I call) signature Fuente spiciness.
Man, what a great smoke. I highly recommend trying these if you haven’t already. This is an example of a truly special maduro at a low cost. :tu

Just a great example of the Fuente Dominican Taste! These are so very close to an Anejo in flavor that it is amazing.

A wonderful way to spend a 70 degree night in February in Illinois!!!!!:ss

70 degrees? Where in Illinois are you?!?!

Hmmm... I've smoked the 858 naturals, maybe I should try out the maduros and see how they are. From the review they sound great.

Couldn't agree more Stu - I bought a box of these based on other reviews I had seen. After I smoked the first one I knew I hadn't made a mistake. A great cigar for a good price.!

Great review, Stu! I love the chocolate & cinnamon combination! Guess I need to try one! You're killing my credit card!!!:tu

I'll try one of these today at lunch. This review makes me want to try one! If they taste even close to an Anjeo, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I agree 100% on that review.. its a great cigar! I may have to get a box or two of these..
Scott

I smoked one of these at my local shop, and for some reason it was kinda bland, and rolled really tight. I have another one thats sitting in my humi, that hopefully will be better.
Scott

The 858 Maduro is very good IMO. I have several left from a purchase over a year ago and it's always a good experience. Thanks for the in depth review.

Back