Fuller Russell Tobacco Company- info?

hotreds

Support the troops!
In the 70's and 80's I worked in a building that also housed the Fuller Russell Tobacco Company. This was in Windsor Locks, Ct- Ct shade tobacco. I understand their tobacco was used in cigars, but at the time I cared less about cigars. Google-ing uncovers nothing. Anybody out there able to fill me in on this company and what cigars their tobacco went into? My company and FR are both long gone, alas!

Years ago, there were dozens, if not hundreds, of small cigar & cigarette manufacturers dotting the eastern half of the country.

Watch an old movie & see everyone, everywhere, lighting up & puffing some form of tobacco (I think the only place you didn't see people light up was in church.....they at least waited till they got to the front steps).

Perhaps Joe Fuller, of Fuller's Pullers, might know something about a company called Fuller Russell.

Sorry, but I don't have any history on this company to offer up. Sure peaked my interest though.

Here's a few bits I came across:

Herbert E. Russell

Herbert E. Russell, 67, of 360 South Main St., Suffield, president of Fuller-Russell Tobacco Co. of Windsor Locks, dies Aug. 24, 1974 in Hartford Hospital. Russell was co-founder of the tobacco plant with his father and William Fuller.

It appears that Fuller-Russell got their tobacco from a farm they owned in Suffield. Not much on that farm, but I did find some cool pictures of Connecticut tobacco farms in Suffield in this guys report:

http://people.umass.edu/abischof/gradstudio/suffield_presentation.pdf

Didn't answer your question, but I thought it was interesting!

Thanks- the Tobacco Valley Museum is gonna do some checking for me. I might have to try and dig up some of the folks I worked with to see if they might know. Alas, the guy that smoked the cigars is long gone!

I did some research and all that I found was the obit for some gentleman who died in the '50's and had been a tobacco farmer for the company. This obit led me to believe that the firm was in the business of selling CT wrapper grade tobacco. Hope that this helps.

Back