Getting a collection started

Hey guys, As you can tell I'm a new guy here. I had a few questions about starting to pick up some sticks.

Where do you start to find what you like, or what else you want to try? Do you just go out and buy some or read reviews and start that way or what?

Also, I am thinking I am going to go the coolidor route as I can hide it away and looks arent that important to me as of now. Do you guys recomend me to do so? Ive heard a lot of good things about this.

I dont know where to start with cigars, Ive had a handful, and I tend to like mild-medium bodied cigars so maybe that would be an easier way to explain my tastes.

Thanks

Welcome!!!

You are at the right place to get info on cigar, storage, what to collect, and how to get started!!!

I'm still too new to give you much help, but there are other more experienced gorillas who are more helpful.

When you get a chance introduce yourself in the New Gorilla Forum: http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=23

We would like to get to know you!!!

Hey guys, As you can tell I'm a new guy here. I had a few questions about starting to pick up some sticks.

Where do you start to find what you like, or what else you want to try? Do you just go out and buy some or read reviews and start that way or what?

Also, I am thinking I am going to go the coolidor route as I can hide it away and looks arent that important to me as of now. Do you guys recomend me to do so? Ive heard a lot of good things about this.

I dont know where to start with cigars, Ive had a handful, and I tend to like mild-medium bodied cigars so maybe that would be an easier way to explain my tastes.

Thanks

Join the Newbie Sampler Trade. You'll get a nice selection from an older guy that will give you a chance to sample different sticks. After a while you can also join the Newbie PIF to get a bigger selection.

Definitely go with the cooler. Don't even bother wasting money on a humi.

Your best bet is to just go to a local BM if you can and ask for some advice and recommendations. Or the more fun route would be to just try lots of different sticks to see what you like. I would definitely start off with the more mild to medium sticks. One of my favorite mild smokes is the 5 Vegas Gold line.

-Rob :cb

Your best bet is to just go to a local BM if you can and ask for some advice and recommendations. Or the more fun route would be to just try lots of different sticks to see what you like. I would definitely start off with the more mild to medium sticks. One of my favorite mild smokes is the 5 Vegas Gold line.

-Rob :cb

Ive actually tried the Classic and the Gold and I really like them both

Join the Newbie Sampler Trade. You'll get a nice selection from an older guy that will give you a chance to sample different sticks. After a while you can also join the Newbie PIF to get a bigger selection.

Definitely go with the cooler. Don't even bother wasting money on a humi.

:tpd: This is great advice!!!

See I told you there are helpful gorilla's here!!!

It's trial and error. You buy and try and buy and try and the cycle continues and continues. You will come across some you like and some you don't. As you buy a handful of your favorites, keep trying new ones and again, the cycle continues. In short, try everything. Except Cremosa!!! ;)

Welcome to CS. I agree, getting involved here can help alot too! :tu

You should make an intro post in the new gorilla forum.

However, to answer your question - you just have to sample new things. Here's some more advice.

1). Look up which cigars you did like and try and match the wrapper (conn., maduro, etc.), or perhaps the country it came from.
2). Good advice is to save the bands from the cigars you liked. Take those to your local B&M and ask for recommendations based on your preferences.

Welcome to CS. Don't buy to much of early favorites because you'll find that your palate will evolve. Next thing you know there will be stuff in there that you wondered what you were thinking when you bought 2 boxes of these dog rockets.

One of the few cigars that I've liked and still like over the past 4 years or so is Casa Torano's, a mild cigar with just a taste of spice.

Just go to the Devil Site and bid on everything, whether you have tried it or not. But only boxes, not 5er's. Soon you will bypass humidors and go straight to a cabinet. Then you can end up like me. :tu

Definitely 2nd signing up for the newbie sampler trade. But I'd go to the local B&M (one that has a good selection), and just start picking out things. You can do it based on what looks cool or interesting to start with. Spend a few dollars here and there, and give those a try. If you find something that you think you'd want to try again, save the band and write down what you thought about it; that way you'll know what you want to get again, and it'll give you an idea of where to go from there (ie other people can help you pick out something similar).

Welcome.

Quick points since I'm on the iPhone. I would start small. I would not worry about large scale storage for 90 days. Trust me you don't want large scale storage yet because it will facilitate you making a buy that won't be representative of your choices in a year.

Don't get advanced yet and drink either water or coffee when you smoke. Keeping your drinking the same levels the playing field in judging what you really like.

Don't be too serious, this is supposed to be fun.

You may also want to buy at least 2 of everything. Some cigars change with a few months rest on them. The first RP '92 That I tried only had a weeks worth of time in the humi and tasted like the way the old "Testors model glue" smells and I really wasn't too impressed. After 2 months rest in the humi I had another and what a world of difference. This time around I thought "Now thats one fine smoke".

Thanks
the best advise I can give you is just start smoking more often. You can go buy "random" sticks at your local B&M, but I would actually recommend going on CI or another one of the big online retailers and buying some sampler packs that sound good. You'll usually get a pretty good range of good smokes that way, and you can really tell what you like and don't like that way too.

Back