Glue Question...........

stig

CS Death Bookie
Okay, on some of the cigars I smoke the bands seem to come unglued real easy leaving me with a nice pristine band but on some others that I smoke, the glue doesn't seem to want to let go without detroying the face of the band somewhat. I have some plans for a few of my bands but in order for me to do what I want with them I need to get the bands to unwrap without tearing. I have found this to be more of a problem with ISOM bands but still have the same problem with some NC's. Any suggestions on how to get the glue on the stuborn bands to let loose without ripping the face of my band to shreds?

stig said:
Okay, on some of the cigars I smoke the bands seem to come unglued real easy leaving me with a nice pristine band but on some others that I smoke, the glue doesn't seem to want to let go without detroying the face of the band somewhat. I have some plans for a few of my bands but in order for me to do what I want with them I need to get the bands to unwrap without tearing. I have found this to be more of a problem with ISOM bands but still have the same problem with some NC's. Any suggestions on how to get the glue on the stuborn bands to let loose without ripping the face of my band to shreds?

Heat that band up [either on the gar with a small lighter] or perhaps when off the gar with a small heat source. just be very careful not to burn the band!! failing this, take a craft knife and slip it between where the two bands meet and are stuck!

Solely based on my observations of bands that I have left outside in the rain, I bet you can soak them in water for a couple of minutes and the glue will let loose. The band can then dry and be no worse for the wear.

I might give this a try also. Keep us posted on what you discover.

PS. Of course this is only applicable to bands that you have slid off the cigar

wij said:
Solely based on my observations of bands that I have left outside in the rain, I bet you can soak them in water for a couple of minutes and the glue will let loose. The band can then dry and be no worse for the wear.

Usually..When I want to save a band and cant get it off before smoking, I light it up and get it going real good for 30 minutes or so and usually the heat from the cigar itself is enough to loosen the glue up...At least in my experience.

wij said:

Moisture is a good way to go, and doesn't risk burning or discoloring as would heat. I generally leave mine on the cigar til the heat from smoking gets close enough to loosen. If that does not do the trick, then I will often apply a little moisture around the seam, and let it sit for a minute or so, and re-wet if necessary. However, I also find that this works better on N/C's than on cubans, so good luck.

Try holding the stub (after you are finished with it) over some boiling water. The steam should help loosen the glue.

Unfortunatly this only works if you stop smoking before the band. If you want to smoke untill you burn your fingers (as I engoy doing) or if you have a stick with a huge band this may not work. You could try this with a lit cigar, but I have no idea if the steam would affect the taste/burn.

Thanks, I have a couple of bands that I will have to mess around with to see what works.

If i really want to keep the band and it looks like it might be a difficult one then i slide it down to just behind the end of the cigar, the bit that gets quite hot just behind the burning face, the heat is usually enough to soften the glue and allow it to come off easily, just keep an eye on it though, otherwise you will singe the band :r

Back