Good Cigar Stores in Toronto, Ontario

Cigar Lover 101

ChestBeater
Hello all. I've been smoking cigars for quite a bit but have recently been finding a lot of smokes I want to buy (single cigars mostly) are almost always sold out or they just don't plain have it!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good cigar store that has good selection, then good prices located in Toronto. I'm willing to pay a bit more for better selection.

I am not however interested in buying online at all.

Before anyone answers this, how about I tell you where I have been and what I think of each place.

Cheers Tobbaco(now called Cheers Smoke Shop) 170 McCaul St. (416) 348-9524 - Good prices, good selection of cigar punchers, not a wide selection of cigars, but stocks nice ones like Romeo Y Julieta Churchill's for $30.00 no tax. Is it just me or is the owner sometimes make you feel not welcome. Every time I'm in there he makes me feel like I'm wasting his time. He even told me once when I was casually looking at what cigars he had. "What cigar do you want?" "I'm just looking for now, thanks". "If you don't know what cigar you want, you shouldn't be smoking cigars". I swear to god! Don't bother calling, just go in. Pay in cash.

La Casa Del Habano 141 Yorkville (416) 926-9066 - Classic store. It's where I go to buy a bunch of boxes of sulfur free matches. Prices are bit high, but I'm not surprised. Staff is friendly but a little too corporate. I understand though, considering the area they cater to.

Holy Smokes at Loblaws on Queens Quay near Jarvis (416) 304-0611 - I actually go here quite a lot for smokes but be careful. I've seen some Bolivar's that had some white spots on them and they weren't from aging. Decent selection, walk in humidor where I feel comfortable taking my time looking around. Some prices are good while others are lousy.

Holy Smokes at Loblaws on St. Clair near Bathurst (416) 651-5166 - A bit smaller selection then the one on Queens Quay. Same as above, although one thing they did at this location they have never done at the one on Queens Quay. Once I bought the cigar, he put the cigar in a Casa Del Habano box, then put it in a ziplock bag. Wish they did that at the other location.

Shoppy's Deli at Front St. - Never bought one here. Wasn't too impressed with the selection or prices.

Tobacco Haven & Intriguing Gifts 595 Bay (416) 593-6655 - Literally across the street from World's Biggest Book Store. Has a pretty good selection and not bad prices, but one problem. Everytime I've bought a cigar from this place they all have had little to no taste. I've bought a Fonseca KDT & a Partagas Corona. The KDT had no flavor and the Partagas had a weird vegtable like taste. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just unlucky?

A And A News And Tabacco 670 College Street (416) 533-8795 - Nothing amazing. It's mostly a convience store and nothing else.

Westside Tobacco - 578 Queen Street West (416) 703-6151 - I go here once and while if I really want a cigar late at night. One of the guys who works here (might be the owner) is super friendly and not in a fake way. I mostly just go here for the quick Romeo Y Juileta No. 2's for $12.00. Lately he's been sold out and hasn't got in any in quite a while. I bought a Upmann Churchill or Cornoa (I can't remember) and it tasted kinda bland, but the R & J No. 2's were fine.

Sleuth & Statesman Inc 130 King Street (416) 363-7575 - Friendly but that's about it. Recently I went there to see if they had any sulfur free matches. When I asked the very attractive sales lady she looked at me all funny and said "Sulfur free?". Obviuosly she had no clue what I was talking about. The other salesman knew what I was asking though. Guess they hired her for her looks instead of brains. Which is fine by me but I wouldnt go back again.

I think that's about all of em. One place I have to mention, even though it's not located in Toronto.

Victoria BC - Don't remember the name but it's located about a five to ten minute walk from the Empress Hotel. Wow! Great cigar store. Prices were resonable but the selection, decor, staff, everything was super cool. Hope the place still exsists.

If anyone from Toronto wants to add to this, please do!

One of the main reasons I wanted to start this topic is:

a) help out people who don't know Toronto that well and want an opinon of some cigar shops.

b) I'm asking anyone in the GTA area to help. I've been trying to find a single cigar of La Aroma Cuba Churchill and Padron 1926 No. 2 or Padron 1964 Piramide. I've only found one of the Padron's at Thomas Hinds at $70.00!!! I really really want to try the La Aroma though out of the three.

If anyone knows where I can get one of these, and what the price for a single is, please, please let me know.

Hope this topic helps out the Toronto Cigar Community.

Last edited:
Take a look at my response on your thread regarding La Aroma de Cuba...
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70086
Thanks for the breakdown of vendors in the GTA. You should really consider buying online...it may be scary at first but with our prices in Canada it's crazy. That Padron 1926 for $70 is a fraction of the price at places like cigar.com where they sell many singles.
When you get a chance make your way to the New Gorilla Forum and introduce yourself to the gang. PM me if you want more info on sources.

Victoria BC - Don't remember the name but it's located about a five to ten minute walk from the Empress Hotel. Wow! Great cigar store. Prices were resonable but the selection, decor, staff, everything was super cool. Hope the place still exsists.

:tpd:

My Favourite shop in all the world. Old Morris Tobaconnist on Government. Drop in just for the experience.

As a Torontonian I whole heartedly approve of this thread. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Edit: just noticed that "The Humidor" that Stonato~ referenced is about 45 seconds away from my house. W00t!

Last edited:
Edit: just noticed that "The Humidor" that Stonato~ referenced is about 45 seconds away from my house. W00t!

oh oh...you're doomed!! 45 seconds! But with our prices you should go online... your mailbox may be even closer than 45 seconds. :ss

Here's another cigar store review in Toronto. Actually two of them.

Thomas Hinds Tobacconist - 8 Cumberland St. - 416-927-7703 - http://www.thomashinds.ca

When you walk in, it seems like they only sell pipe tobacco but check up stairs and you'll find the nice walk-in humidor. The staff is nice and doesn't make you feel bad if you take a while looking around in the humidor. Some of the prices are good but some are a tad bit higher than most stores, mostly from what I saw $2.00 to $4.00 higher.

I've never actually bought a cigar from here before but I would bet your purchase would have been properly stored as I've seen at some cigar stores where they leave the door to the humidor open for an excessive amount of time. This was not the case here.

There was something that struck me as odd though. I noticed a Bolivar Fino at $20.00 Canadian, the cheapest I've seen it yet, but the odd part is that it was mixed in with a couple of different cigars. From what I hear, it's not wise to store different cigars touching each other or the flavors my mix or something like that.

Other than this small little oddity, I found it a decent store that I would go back to, and I am willing to pay a couple bucks more for a cigar that I know was stored properly. Will buy a cigar from them soon enough, one I've actually had before and see if it had the same flavor, or if it was aged well, possibly it could taste better!

Tabac Cuban Cigars & International Brands - 526 Yonge St. - 416 362-3501

A small little shop near Wellesley subway station. Not exactly the best selection, but carries mostly a lot of Cuban's. Bolivar, Cohiba, Montecristo, Partagas and a few others. Prices are okay. The guy I dealt with seemed pretty cool and I could tell he was into cigars himself. Was talking a bit and he even asked me if I wanted to join his cigar club, but I refused only because personally I don't make much money. If I could afford it I would of as he seems like a cool guy to chat with. He even opened a brand new box of two year old Bolivar Fino's for me as I only wanted a single and the price was only about two bucks higher than most retailers. I smoked it right away and it was very good. Bottom line, I'd go back again, but only if I was in the area and looking for a smoke right away, which is exactly what happened to me.

Last edited:
Here's another Toronto Cigar Store review.

Casablanca Tobacconist - 4 King St. W. - (416) 362-5724 - www.casablancatobacconist - open Monday to Sat. 9 AM to 7 PM

Has a very big walk-in humidor. Sells also pipes, lighters, etc... Here's what happened to me when I walked in. I was looking at some lighters I was thinking of buying and he was helpful. I think that he thought I was going to buy it, but as soon as I said I was looking for a gift and merely pricing today (which is true) his attitude changed completely. I asked him if I could take a look at his cigars but he said to me, "Are you buying a cigar?". I told him I was looking at his prices to see if his prices were fair and if they were I'd return closer to the day to buy it so the cigar would taste better. When I told him this he refused to let me take a look because "If I let you look, then no one would be at the cash to take care of other customers".

No one else was in the store at all. I can understand if I took an hour looking, but all I wanted to do was quickly glance over his prices. Nothing wrong with trying to get the best price on a cigar! Jeez! It's not like I was writing them down on a piece of paper!

Anyway, I was forced to press my face up to the glass and look at the cigars in the corner for the prices. From what I saw, they actually were pretty good. Just wish the owner wasn't a total ass.

One other thing to note was one of the lighters I was looking at did interest me so I politely asked him for his business card and a pen to write down the model number and price. When he gave me one he said to me "just write down the model number not the price".

Would I go here again? Only for the prices...at least the ones I saw. I think some people need a lesson in being polite, after all, if your prices are good, why wouldn't you want someone to know them as word of mouth can be very good business.

By the way, the door is located a few steps up on Yonge St. near King St. Not actually on King St.

this is going to be a helpful thread. i'm headed to ontario, next week, and will definitely want to check out some cigars.

i wonder how Canadian prices compare to Californias....

this is going to be a helpful thread. i'm headed to ontario, next week, and will definitely want to check out some cigars.

i wonder how Canadian prices compare to Californias....

In California do they keep a jar of vasoline by the cash register? Is so then it's comparable ;) .

Oakville Has a few decent shops, most right off the QEW.

Trugdor The Burninator,

Depending on what you smoke, I suggest going down to Cheers Tobbaco as they have very good prices, just don't spend too long in the store or the owner will bite your head off! He only sells singles so if you're looking for a box I suggest somewhere else. I've bought tons of cigars from him before and have never had a bad one yet.

A couple of prices (in Canadian dollars no tax) I know for sure are:

Cohiba Esplendido - $50.00
R & J No. 2 - $9.99
Cohiba Siglo IV - either $13.00 or $15.00
R & J Churchill Tubo - $30.00

Also has R & J Cedros No. 2's, some other Cohiba's, mostly a lot of Cohiba's, R & J's, although I haven't been in a while so he could have new stuff.

Also he has some very good prices on cigar punchers. I picked one up, a keychain version made of titanium and a very good blade that normally sells for $80 to $100 for $40.00 no tax. Used it everytime I need to punch my cigar. Comes in a black case that looks like an engagement ring box.

Hope this helps.

In California do they keep a jar of vasoline by the cash register? Is so then it's comparable ;) .

Oakville Has a few decent shops, most right off the QEW.

:tpd:

...but come to think of it, only the really nice ones even bother to use vasoline. :)
Seriously... Trogdor. There is absolutely no reason to buy cigars ANYWHERE in Canada. The prices here are ridiculous due to the tobacoo taxes. I'd love to support our economy but this isn't even close! I haven't bought a cigar here in ages and probably will never again unless I'm out, forgot my own, and am desperate. I now buy online.
Example (let's leave ISOM's out of this)... La Aurora 100 anos. About $60 each. Convinced yet? :pp

Online is all good and dandy but the purpose of me starting this topic is if you feel like buying mostly a single cigar and you're in the Toronto area, then you can make a decision based upon the reviews.

I agrre though, some places are way too expensive for cigars. One thing I'm going to try and do from now on is try and get the prices down so people know exactly how much it costs as I've noticed a lot of Toronto cigar stores that have website's do not not list there prices or all of their stock.

Maybe that's why a lot of cigar stores I've been to don't like me just "shopping around for the best price" because they know thier prices are high.

One other note. One of my fave's: R & J No. 2's I've seen for as little as $9.99 and as high as $20.00. I find it strange when some stores that have good prices, seem to put this cigar a bit higher when the cigar should be at $9.99 to $12.00 max (Canadian).

Anyway, I might have to re-do some of the reviews, and will start listing the stock & prices so people know exactly how much, what stock, etc...

One store I'm not reviewing again is Tobacco Haven & Intriguing Gifts. I don't trust their cigars. Either they don't maintain their humidor correctly or they sell some fakes. Every cigar I bought from them had no flavor or had a very strange taste. I always check the cigars for white spots and holes so it's not mold or anything like that. If someone else can prove me wrong about this store, please do.

I'll be back!

Last edited:
Online is all good and dandy but the purpose of me starting this topic is if you feel like buying mostly a single cigar and you're in the Toronto area, then you can make a decision based upon the reviews.

(sigh) I knew I'd regret responding to this thread... Nevermind. Good luck. :cb

Just to expand the thread a bit ;).

Celebrity Cigar in Oakville just off the QEW at Trafalgar (in the strip mall by Home Depot) Has a nicely stocked Humidor, prices on par with most shops I've seen. The owner seems quite friendly and knowledgeable.

There's also the Habana Castle on Lake shore, get off QEW at Trafalgar and head south, right on lakeshore and it's a few blocks down on the left side. Haven't been in there in months though so I'm not sure how much stock he has. Prices may be higher due to the fact it's downtown Oakville.

(sigh) I knew I'd regret responding to this thread... Nevermind. Good luck. :cb

Actually you both make excellent points.

Knowing good shops locally is a huge bonus in a pinch or if your desperate for a Cuban cigar.

BUT the prices online can't be beat.

I actually found ordering online and doing box splits with 3 ppl was the way to go before taking the plunge on a full box if your unsure.

Here's another review.

Shopsy's Deli & Cigar Shop - 33 Yonge Toronto - Located directly across the street from Toronto's Hockey Hall of Fame.

This very tiny cigar spot stocks mostly: various Montecristo's, various Romeo and Julieta's (no machine made ones) and various Feunte Feunte's. A few obscure ones like Excalibur 1066. Actually I was very tempted to pick up an Excalibur as it looked and smelled kinda good. Most of the prices are however not that good, and are not even worth mentioning.

My advice: go to Shopsy's Deli for the food and not the cigars; although if I can't find the Excalibur 1066 cheaper, I'm heading back there to try it. Very busy restaurant almost anytime of day.

Has anyone else ever been to "havana" in Vaughan Mills mall? I popped in there once a bit back and they had some reaaaaal nice stuff in there. It seems like it is one of those stores catering to 'the good life', with employees wearing nice suits and carrying Mont Blanc products and 200$ driving gloves alongside their tobacco stuff. They also had a nice selection of ST Dupont lighters too. I was with a group of friends and under a time constraint though, so i didn't get a chance to pop into their humidor (I knew if i would i would be browsing for a while and pissing off my friends in the process). Anyone have any idea of what their prices are like?

Yes. I know exactly what place you're talking about. Right near the famous Johnny Rocket's burger joint. I didn't get their prices. Next time I'm there I'll try and get some of the prices. Funny, I was in a bit of a rush as well.

Nice little store, I agree.

Seriously though, next time I'm near by I'll try and get them down.

Here's an update on a review I already did.

Casablanca Tobacconist - 4 King St. W. - (416) 362-5724 - www.casablancatobacconist - open Monday to Sat. 9 AM to 7 PM

Update: I went back to this shop again. I bought a H. Upmann Corona. The weird thing was when I asked what the box date was, he said that he didn't know because they put new ones in the old boxes and he said I quote "If there is any bloom we lightly brush it off". I bought one anyway and it was fine, although I found the cigar was a bit too moist. The prices on some of the popular ones like some Cohiba's and Romeo Y Julieta's were a bit expensive.

Here is a shop that I have been to:

http://www.smokincigar.com/
The Smokin' Cigar Inc.
1699 Bayview Avenue
Toronto,Ontario, M4G 3C1
tel: 416-545-0063
fax: 416-545-1441

They are south of Eglington on the east side. Ask for Freddy. They have a nice walk-in there.

I have also been to

http://www.standrewscigarcompany.com/pages/home_pagepag.html
St. Andrews Cigar Company
32 Wellington Street West
AURORA, ONTARIO
L4G 2N8

PHONE: 905.713.3002
FAX: 905.713.3004

They are a small shop but a good selection.

There are also two stores called Cigars For You. One is on the north side of Steeles between Yonge and Bathurst. The other is on Carlingview near the airport. In a strip plaza near the strip joint.

Back