Good cigars for a cigarette store to sell

jaymz

preserver of the universe
An acquaintance of mine is opening a small tobacco store, and is looking for input on which cigars he should sell. I told him I'd pose this question to the jungle. So - post your suggestions here :)

An acquaintance of mine is opening a small tobacco store, and is looking for input on which cigars he should sell. I told him I'd pose this question to the jungle. So - post your suggestions here :)

Fuente's and Camacho's - DUH!!!! :ss:ss:ss

Best of luck to him!

The Flor De Olivas are a nice cheap smoke. I'm sure he will have alot of customers as for Acids as well. :tu

good luck to your friend. right now i think is the worst time to try it. customers now come in and ask for anything under five bucks. buy direct and keep the orders small to see what your market is buying. nowdays a small shop cant compete with jrs,ci,black cat, and many more. the big guys are going to take over and sell everything online and still expect the bm guy to push there product but not give them any break.

I think AF is hard to get started with but most folks know the name IMHO. Ashton and Davidoff might be good for high end name recognition and Padron, Acid and RP might be a good place to start. Just my :2

If you are talking about a smoke shop counter checkout. You want the most bang for your buck. Quality doesn't have to be the #1 thing. (just good enough for most people coming into the store for a smoke or drink.)

The Astral Churchill Crystals (7.0" x 48 tubes) are a big (long smoke), medium strength (even for casual smokers), flashy tubes (even the crack smokers are happy) and I would imagine very reasonable to purchase for resale.

Cohibos maybe? If that doesn't work out, find a good general all purpose rep and see what they can deal. Worse comes to worse, White Owl Grape.

If you are talking about a smoke shop counter checkout. You want the most bang for your buck. Quality doesn't have to be the #1 thing. (just good enough for most people coming into the store for a smoke or drink.)

The Astral Churchill Crystals (7.0" x 48 tubes) are a big (long smoke), medium strength (even for casual smokers), flashy tubes (even the crack smokers are happy) and I would imagine very reasonable to purchase for resale.
:tpd: You have to keep the Crack Smokers happy.:r

The reality of a small shop is that he will not be able to purchase many premium brands. Also, his primary focus will be ROI and inventory turn(or should be). Swishers, Backwoods, and the like will be his best sellers. His high end line will probably be under $10 a stick after state taxes, so TeAmo and other "low end" smokes, maybe Mac's. I know this is not what most of us smoke, but for a shop with its primary customer a non cigar smoker, stocking up on premiums will eat up capital and slow his turnover. :2

There's a lot of negativity on whether this guy can sell premiums, but around here it seems like everyone sells premium cigars. The meijer gas station across the street from my work has a cabinet humidor stocked with CAO's / rocky patels etc. So does the little party store inside the mall. And the cigarette store around the corner from my house has a walk-in humidor with a pretty nice selection. So i didn't think it was a bad idea ... plus if he wants to try i don't want to discourage him.

off the top of my head i was going to suggest the following:

CAO black
Arturo Fuente 8-5-8
Rocky Patel Vintage
Oliva Serie G

Quorum
Alcazar
National Brand Nicaraguan
Dominico

All of those 4 cigars come in those sectioned display boxes, where each section holds a bundle of smokes. 1 good sized commercial humidor will give him plenty of room for smokes, even a few "premium" cigars, like Macanudo tubos (very popular among occasional cigar smokers) and Punch rothschilds, Partagas Black, etc.

Will his shop be near a college? If so, he should dedicate another small display humidor to ACIDs. They are pretty popular cigars with the youngins.

Go with the staples that are affordable. Fuente, Romeo y Julietta, Punch, Padron maybe some CAO's

Back