Got Bugs?

germantown rob

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Well it happened to me after a long time of thinking it won't, I found beetles and not the Beetles on my Ipod! The stupid little creatures got into my NC's and destroyed 8 cigars and are in a few others. I haven't found a hole in any Cubans but I am not taking any chances so after reading about freezing for the past year I am now an avid believer. Double wrapping and putting into the deep freezer, then refridgerator.

I know in the past I have read that a normal house freezer is usually not cold enough to do the killing but I do have a deep freezer that I keep at -5-15 degF. Should I put the cigars straight into the deep freeze and after 2 days into the fridge or should I ease them into this super cold temp?

germantown rob said:
Well it happened to me after a long time of thinking it won't, I found beetles and not the Beetles on my Ipod! The stupid little creatures got into my NC's and destroyed 8 cigars and are in a few others. I haven't found a hole in any Cubans but I am not taking any chances so after reading about freezing for the past year I am now an avid believer. Double wrapping and putting into the deep freezer, then refridgerator.

I know in the past I have read that a normal house freezer is usually not cold enough to do the killing but I do have a deep freezer that I keep at -5-15 degF. Should I put the cigars straight into the deep freeze and after 2 days into the fridge or should I ease them into this super cold temp?
Quarantining (chuck your "holey" sticks) and freezing works. I used a regular freezer. Don't know about deep freezing being better. SeanGAR is the expert on lab experimentation.

germantown rob said:
Well it happened to me after a long time of thinking it won't, I found beetles and not the Beetles on my Ipod! The stupid little creatures got into my NC's and destroyed 8 cigars and are in a few others...
So how'd it happen, do you think? Too warm? What were the storage conditions that allowed this? Regrets. Like having fleas in the house, or a burglar. That'd mess up my day.

Sorry to hear this!

EASE THEM IN AND OUT of the cold temp!
Fridge for 1 day, freezer for 2-3 days (or more, if you like), fridge for 1 day, counter (still wrapped) for 1 day, humi for several days (still wrapped), then unwrap.
It works, and won't split any wrappers.

Best of luck,
Audio

Sorry to hear that, but I too am curious what the storage conditions were. Sorry once again, and I hope the freezing works out for ya

That sucks...I got home and my house was really warm last night. First thing I did was run my desktop humi down to the basement.

trnsam said:
Sorry to hear that, but I too am curious what the storage conditions were. Sorry once again, and I hope the freezing works out for ya
The 64-69% and high of 75 degs, the three sticks that were hit worst I received from a trade so I am unclear if they were the source or not but I will follow the advice of freezing everything from now on.

germantown rob said:
The 64-69% and high of 75 degs, the three sticks that were hit worst I received from a trade so I am unclear if they were the source or not but I will follow the advice of freezing everything from now on.
I would like to add that in no way shape or form to I blame anyone but myself for getting the bugs.

bonggoy said:
Man that sucks. We were just talking about them bugs and boom.

What was the temperature in your humidor?
I haven't had it get above 75 but it is time to move the cab to the basement for the summer where it will stay cooler. Funny how these things happen huh Ronnie?

The thing about trades and new shippments is you never know what temperatures the gars were exposed to in transit. Its a sad story though.

Makes ya nervous. I think I may make a tupperdor just for trades and such. Better to be overly cautious than sorry later..

Must ignore these posts. Suppress the paranoia. Turn the A/c down to 65. Sweater boy should be the new handle.

Sorry to hear about the visitors.

Logically I'd have to say the worse hit sticks would be your patient zero(s). This could happen to anyone. Even in the basement I'm watching my temps slowly creep up. I guess when I hit close to 75 consistently I'll plug in my Winecoolerdor but that doesn't do anything for my remaining humidors...

Good luck recovering from this one. considering they have mini coolers with refrigeration units in them you would think someone would build a mini humidor refrigeration unit that was capapble of only very high low temps. In other words a small theromstatically controlled unit that had a lowest setting of say 65 degrees. Small enough to fit in a large desktop humi like say... the Vicksburgh?.... hint hint.

yikes.gif
tick....tick....tick....
BugBomb.jpg

Back