Got home to new sampler

guy g

Gorilla
Just got home to a sampler from Finck's. Included are 7 smokes, an X-treme 15 ct humidor and a Stainless steel cutter.
The Smokes are RyJ Reserva Real Corona size, Partags Black 4.5x 54, Macaudo 4 3/4 x 48,La Gloria Cubana 5.5 x about 40,Punch 7 x 46, Charles the Great ( never heard of them) and a Finck's Commerce.
I'm gonna start with the Partagas and weave the milder ones through the adventure.( yes, I'm a little intimidated by the fuller bodied ones.):ss

Partagas Black.. good prelight, nice oily wrapper, good draw after cut, lite easily. Smooth ,but definatly full flavor. A bit of spice in the last third. Good smoke.

I just wish my tolerence would develope a bit quicker for the fuler smokes.

It will or it won't. I actually go towards medium/medium-full most of the time. I like an occasional "knock me off my feet" smoke but not very often. One thing that helps is to smoke about half the pace you are used to. It took me a long time to get away from puffing every few seconds and finishing off a churchill in like 45 minutes. Taking a puff a minute really helps to make even a strong smoke relatively easy to handle.

MCS

Let us know what you think about the Charles the Great and the Finck's Commerce. I live in San Antonio (the home of Finck's) and visit their outlet store regularly. I've always wondered about their house brands.

Thanks for the tips. I am home today and will do one or both of the Finck's smokes today and report. It should be also noted That I know absolutly nothing about the cutter that was in the package. It is a stainless steel one made for International Development Co. it's called Humidor Supreme and worked really well.

Did the Finck's Commerce, 6 x 48 (measured). Made by Nestor (website info) Good prelite, nice aroma, good cut, good draw and light. First third smoked nice, good medium flavor, not harsh or strong. Second third the wrapper started to separate at the burn point. Had to relite once and touch up once. Even flavor through out. I would say more a med- full than the advertised full body.(not complaining) No spice or bite. Last third harder to keep lit, still good draw, wrapper did keep coming undone on me. Laid to rest at 1 1/2 inches. The website says it is a Toro with a tag of $49.95 for 20. I would probably not buy these as the Padron Londres I smoke are only 8 bucks more. I was concerned about the wrapper.

After finishing a small steak and baked potato supper, I chose the La Gloria Cubana corona to end the evening. It definatly reminded me of why I like the corona size. Just the right size of stogie for me! Had to clip twice to get the right draw, did have to make one course correction on the burn. It smoked very nice, with what I would call a strong woodsy flavor. No after effects and I liked this one so well, I got the forceps out to finish it.

Ok, back home for a day. I took the Charles the Great with me, Not a bad smoke. Nice light, decent flavor, more toward mild medium. Except for the price point ($70-90) box, it would make a a decent goto car.

If I ever make it back to San Antonio, I want to visit Finck's store. They have the biggest walk-in humidor in San Antone, and I think it would be a awesome place to stop before going to DICK's on the Riverwalk! :ss

I've been around San Antonio many times over the years, but have to park on the outskirts because of the truck. It looks like a real nice town. Plus I like the Spurs. They are a class act!

Now that's Gar... tonights smoke from the sampler was the Punch. Not sure which model, I believe it is a regular Punch. No indicators on the band, just "Punch. Imported" Great smoke, all 7 inches just melted away. The last third picked up some extra body, and finished nice.

Back