Gran Habano Corojo # 5 - 6.1" x 52

jkorp

·~«{·B'lieve Hon·}»~·
Here is my review of the Gran Habano Corojo # 5 - 6.1" x 52 (Red Label). I'll preface this review by saying that I am a newbie, both on the forum and to cigars period. So I don't have a well refined taste, or at least I am not able to describe the flavors and subtleties of a cigar accurately, but I do know what I like.

I purchased 10 Gran Habano's comprised of all 3 varieties, #1, #2, and #3's all in the 6.1x52 size. My local B&M had an event, buy 10 get 2 free and an entry into a nice Humidor drawing. (this is really the only reason why I purchased this many, because I really needed a humidor, and the one that was on raffle what sweeeeeet).

My first impressions of the cigars were, "I just wasted $40 dollars!" They wouldn't stay lit, I'm talking 6-5 relights, they required constant touch ups, and I was starting to get pissed off when I smoked one. The redeeming factor was they all tasted great, and looked incredible, especially the #3 Corojo. So I smoked about half with in a few days (being new to cigars I had no inventory so these were the only stogies I had to smoke). As I got my wine-chill-a-dor working and acquired some more smokes, I let let these rest. What a difference!

So Here is the review:

Wrapper: Dark and oily, very attractive
Hand Feel: nice weight, felt really good in my hand
Band: I like the band, others said they hated it and wouldn't give it a chance just based on this, but I think it's very nice, I like...
Construction: Nice and firm, clean
Draw: post cut and prelight, the draw was great. Post light and all the through the burn the draw was great.
Smoke: lots of it.
Burn: fairly even, more on that below.
Ash: Firm. Ashed twice, the first half and at the nub.

1004072004b_thumb.jpg
1004072004_thumb.jpg

And alas...

The Taste: The first couple of draws I would say there was a little spice.
For the first half I would describe it as earthy and coffee like flavors and kind of dark and strong. The last half mellowed into what I would say was coco. I really enjoyed this cigar a lot, 100% more that my first impressions.

Here are the flaws that I would point out:
Even though I feel the construction was great and very appealing, there was a slightly heavy vein that wound it's way down the cigar. This vein caused some slight burn irregularities. I had to give it a tough with the torch here and there to get that vein to catch up with the rest of burn. The only other flaw, was band removal. Even when down in the last 3rd, it did not want to come off clean. Upon removal it took a small piece of wrapper with it, where the glue had oozed out I guess.

Overall, I think it was a fine cigar, that would just get better and better the more time it sat. Alas, I am on my last 2 sticks, and will not know what it could have been. I will purchase more in the future, but being new, there is so many I want to try before investing back into these. That being said, I would highly recommend these to anyone.

Thanks for the excellent review and great photos. The Grand Habano #5 is one of the great cigar deals in the past 3 years, but I, like you, had a bad first experience with this size. The Gran Robusto size seems to be a bit more consistent. Flavor is great, though. I couldn't keep off my sampler long enough to get any age on them though; the #3 is also very tasty in the Gran Robusto size, while still a bit green. Consistency seems to be the only issue on this smoke. Love em though.

I saw this post so I decided to spoke the one I had in my humidor. It has been sitting for about 4 months. Very spicy pre light, nice draw. A lot of smoke, nice oily wrapper. Ash was a bit on the dark side. The spice mellowed toward the middle and turned more woody flavor. Only one touch up was required. Overall a good smoke for the money.

Back