Lowland Gorilla
Cigar: Graycliff 1666
Vitola: PGX (toro)
Wrapper: Jatalpec maduro
Binder: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Peruvian, Columbian, Brazilian, Mexican
Price: 10 cigar sampler for $50 of CI.

IMG_0002.jpg

Setting: Sun room, about 80 some odd degrees out, 1pm, and pairing with a diet Sunkist soda.

Prelight: Has a dark veiny wrapper that looks somewhat mottled and toothy. The band is nice and loose, always a good touch. The cigar has a really rich tobacco smell to it. Cap was ugly but cut easily. Initial draw was pretty free with just a slight resistance. Everything is looking pretty good so far.

IMG_0006-1.jpg

First third: Cigar lit up very easily releasing thick clouds of smoke. Initial flavors are that maduro sweetness with just a tiny bit of spice and bitterness on the tongue. Pretty pleasant so far. What's no so pleasant is a bad runner right along the vein. I attempted to correct it but it just continues. Really unacceptable for a cigar of this msrp. You can see holes and gaps in the filler as it burns. The smoke production seems to have lessened too as I got to the one inch mark. Ash is gray and somewhat flakey and doesn't last long cause of the constant need for corrections. Flavors are mostly wood and some coffee.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Middle third: Well, the flavors, burn issues, and smoke production continue on the same. Body and strength definitely in the medium range. It's a shame that the construction is so shoddy because I'm really enjoying the flavors. Even the bitterness is somewhat pleasant. The finish/aftertaste is light but lingering and nice.

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Final third: The burn issues continued all the way to the nub. Flavors and body picked up a bit in intensity and the cigar continued with the pleasant aftertaste.

IMG_0013.jpg

Final thoughts: Well, I really enjoyed the flavors of this cigar and it's a shame about the construction. There was a visible hole in the filler that continued all the way through the cigar. This was my first one of these so I'm hoping this was just an aberation. Even though the cigar only cost me about 4 bucks of cbid, the msrp on these is crazy and this type of construction is unacceptable for this price. And the construction issues really killed the smoking time. It usually takes me two hours to smoke a toro, but with the canoeing and corrections the cigar only lasted me an hour.

Liked it: Flavors were great.
Buy again: Probably not. I have nine more so we'll see how those fair. If no more problems I'd pick them up again at the same price.
Reccommend: As before, would reccommend for the flavors but I'll see how the construction turns out on others before suggesting them to someone else.

Damn, that sucks with the burn issues. The 1666 has recently moved up to my #2 in the Graycliff line and I have 10 resting in the humi. I hope that was just an isolated bum cigar!!!

I really enjoy these as well - picked up 20 from CI recently (thanks JoeCigar!). Anyway, at first I was furious because on the bottom of the bundle, there was Honduran tax stamp. I thought these were Bahaman cigars! As it turns out, these are the only ones of the Graycliff line made outside of the Bahamas. So in essence, they're not made BY Graycliff, they're made FOR Graycliff.

That aside, these are fantastic smokes and they're a smoke that I'll likely always keep on hand :tu

I really enjoy these as well - picked up 20 from CI recently (thanks JoeCigar!). Anyway, at first I was furious because on the bottom of the bundle, there was Honduran tax stamp. I thought these were Bahaman cigars! As it turns out, these are the only ones of the Graycliff line made outside of the Bahamas. So in essence, they're not made BY Graycliff, they're made FOR Graycliff.

That aside, these are fantastic smokes and they're a smoke that I'll likely always keep on hand :tu

:r That frigging Joe, Got me too :D

Have yet to smoke one of those yet.

Smoked one I got gifted a while back and it was pretty good. Thought I would give them a go for the price. If it turns out I don't like them they will be good for trades and lottery payments.

Chas

Great review, I have 10 of them in the cooler as well. I hope that was a bad stick, because I hate to think a cigar with a MSRP in the $15-$20 range is that poorley made. I will have to light one up and see what happens. Thanks for the review.

Good review. I had one of the robustos out of a CI sampler on friday. The wrapper on mine was perfect, no mottling at all, as were the draw and construction. The flavor was chocolate,coffee ,and licorice. All in all, I was impressed, and i don't typically care for maduros. Hopefully, the rest of yours are better constructed than the first. cheers

I don't know anything about anything, so don't interpret my question as an accusation...

Looking at those photos, is that short filler? Doesn't look like the burn on any cigar I've ever seen.

Just smoked a torp. Very nice cigar - no burn issues - perfect draw - lots of cocoa and coffee flavors. Overall I would give this 8.5 out of 10. Glad I have 4 more. Picked em up in a cbid maduro bundle special - 20 good to very good cigars for $40 - can't beat that.

OK everyone. I have 10 of these left and I will be bidding on some of these on cbid in the coming week. I respecfully request that everyone else stop bidding on them for one week so I can get a decent deal.

interesting.....

Yeah, I'm not knocking the flavors at all and am looking forward to trying another. As for being made in Nicaragua, I'm pretty sure that was announced when they were released. The msrp is pretty expensive but you can pick them up much cheaper than a regular Graycliff.

OK everyone. I have 10 of these left and I will be bidding on some of these on cbid in the coming week. I respecfully request that everyone else stop bidding on them for one week so I can get a decent deal.

They're all mine Patrick!!!! Just kidding - I think they are my favorite Graycliff.

Well, I decided to try another one today. This time a torpedo. This time there wasn't any canoeing but there was a tunnel that seemed to run the length of the cigar. This cigar was smoking very fast too. Flavors are still good. Shame really, I was hoping for it to be just a one off problem. Cigars have been stored in my humi a couple months at 65%.

Ok, I figure I can't go 0 for 3.

Well, I go to cut the cap and this is what I find:

36382b73.jpg

15a70168.jpg

I think I got the bundle rolled on show up to work drunk day. :ss

Cigar actually smoked pretty well though.

I got that same Graycliff torpedo in a CI sampler and tried to smoke it tonight. Miserable construction, air in the filler, not much taste. Tossed it and fired up a RP Rosado toro from Famous. Deeeelicious.

im very surprised. i just had one the other night and it was perfect!

I have a fiver of the torpedoes and I actually thought they sucked .Was very dissapointed on how the cigar didn't evolve at all, it started out not so great and finished the same way. I hope it is just a bad stick as well because I have enjoyed other Graycliffs in the past.

Back