Graycliff Crystal Toro

weak_link

Lowland Gorilla
Graycliff Crystal Toro 6x50

CIMG2836.jpg

Graycliff Crystal Toro 6x50

Cigars International blurb:

“Often compared to the beloved Ashton VSG, the Crystal Series is a bold, medium to full-bodied gem. Rated 90+ on more than one occasion, in addition to “Best of the Best” honors from Robb Report, this flavorful lovely combines a thick and oily Ecuadorian sun-grown wrapper with a complex mixture of supremely aged long-fillers from Brazil, Nicaragua, and Honduras. As an added bonus, a rare strain of Grecian tobacco was carefully blended into this cigar, adding a lovely spice to the fray. After significant box-aging, the Crystal Series blankets the palate with bold, yet elegant flavors, including leather, earth, pepper, and a sweet aftertaste that complements the cigar’s rich core perfectly.

This just might be Graycliff’s most sophisticated handmade. “

Partnered with Johnny Walker Green

Setting: garage with dog, 101 F

Pre-light inspection:

Dark, slightly toothy wrapper with slightly grassy pre-light draw. Nothing remarkable nor nothing negative to report.

First 1/3

Cap cuts off easily with a twist & snip of the Palio cutter and reveals an even, smooth draw.

Fires right up with a torch and draw remains smooth.

Earthy tones hit the palate with a thick smoke that's fun to roll around in the mouth. Finish has a hint of sweetness with a lingering spice. The JW Green is really brining out the spice in the finish. Working towards the end of the first third, the draw reveals the earth tones and leather building in intensity while keeping the slightly spicy, long finish. Ash has been holding firm and keeping the draw cool and very smooth.

CIMG2837.jpg

2/3

Smoke gets richer, fuller in body. While still smooth, the spice is becoming more pronounced and it's very easy to pass the smoke though the nose. Heating up a little at the end of the second third but mostly likely because I'm smoking it a bit on the fast side. Ash refuses to drop but the burn line has gone from laser even to a slightly flowery edge. Nothing horrible, just an observation. Very relaxing smoke thus far and leaves my mouth with a little tingle.

CIMG2844.jpg

3/3

Ash finally dropped. Earth and leather have edged the spice out of the way on the draw. Finish reminds me of the warmth from jalapeño pepper oil on the tip on my tongue. The Crystal has that Graycliff flavor profile I can't quite place from the Original and Professional, just less of it. Maybe it's a bit fuller bodied and less grassy but I'm not good enough to tell you what that flavor profile is that isn't quite there. This smoke has gone though several subtle changes I wish I could tell you more about but again, my palate just isn't developed enough to describe them all to you.

Liked it: Yes

Buy again? Yes

Recommend? Yes, goes great on a full stomach. I enjoy the subtle changes all the way throughout this smoke and appreciate that it remains smooth to the nub.

Nice review! The Crystal (White Label) are my favorite Graycliffs by far. I'll only smoke these or the Espressos/Double Espresso.

I don't think I could enjoy one in 101 F heat though!!

Nice review! The Crystal (White Label) are my favorite Graycliffs by far. I'll only smoke these or the Espressos/Double Espresso.

I don't think I could enjoy one in 101 F heat though!!

101 isn't as bad as it sounds when there is no humidity in the air. :R

Glad you liked it. I found the Crystal profoundly disappointing after trying the Chateau Grand Cru Pirate (hands-down my favorite Graycliff). I just got some 1666s I haven't tried yet, though.

101 isn't as bad as it sounds when there is no humidity in the air.
I can definitely identify. It sounds cliche' to say "It's a dry heat", but having experienced 104 degrees with 90 percent humidity when I lived in Florida, I believe I'll keep my 5-15 percent.

Glad you liked it. I found the Crystal profoundly disappointing after trying the Chateau Grand Cru Pirate (hands-down my favorite Graycliff). I just got some 1666s I haven't tried yet, though.

I'm also a big fain of the Grand Cru. :tu

The 1666 on the other hand, not so much. Hope you enjoy them more than I did.

Nice review, I'm just finishing a Crystal Pirate now. It's certainly a spicy smoke, and I like it along with the Grand Cru.

I'm also a big fain of the Grand Cru. :tu

The 1666 on the other hand, not so much. Hope you enjoy them more than I did.

The 1666 are hit or miss, I've had some that were remarkably well constructed and smoked nicely, others smoked like ****. I like the PG's but have also encountered variations in their qualities. The MSRPs on these cigars makes it difficult to tolerate imperfections.

I like the Crystal, especially one with some time on it. My third favorite of the Graycliffs after the double espresso and the 1666. I have a Gran Cru sitting in the humi, maybe I should try it one of these days.

Back